Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Best tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Buckscent
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best tuner

Looking at different tuners for a stage 1 upgrade. What are some of the more popular/used ones. For a 12 tri glide, I know some tuners, like the V&H FP3 is for 14 and up. Seeing the DynoJet come up a lot

Old 02-29-2016, 03:52 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckscent
Looking at different tuners for a stage 1 upgrade. What are some of the more popular/used ones. For a 12 tri glide, I know some tuners, like the V&H FP3 is for 14 and up. Seeing the DynoJet come up a lot
Flip a coin, they all will get it done. I've used TTS for the majority of my tuning needs. I've fiddled a little with the old SERT, the SEPST, PCIII, PCV and a smattering of Powervision. I'm sure others will come along and maybe a vendor or two will put the bite on you.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

I have a 2012 TG and use a TTS. I can give you dozens of reasons why I prefer the TTS over the other tuners and there will be those who push you one way or another but if nothing else please take this one slice of advice if you will.

Don't go cheap, go with the best. Tuning should be the first modification of any Harley. If you are going to let someone else tune the trike for you then use what they are used to tuning with.

Enjoy.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:56 AM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I have a 2012 TG and use a TTS. I can give you dozens of reasons why I prefer the TTS over the other tuners and there will be those who push you one way or another but if nothing else please take this one slice of advice if you will.

Don't go cheap, go with the best. Tuning should be the first modification of any Harley. If you are going to let someone else tune the trike for you then use what they are used to tuning with.

Enjoy.
I am no tuner! Tried the one everyone was saying even a dummy could tune with. Well I am the dummy I guess.
Bike ran very bad. So a trip to GA one year, changed tuner to the one the "Tuner" used. All GOOD
Tuner I switched to TTS / Tuned by WIZ. Tuner I trashed, well I will just say "the other one".
Dennis Swan

Old 03-02-2016, 03:07 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by iaff84
I am no tuner! Tried the one everyone was saying even a dummy could tune with. Well I am the dummy I guess.
Bike ran very bad. So a trip to GA one year, changed tuner to the one the "Tuner" used. All GOOD
Tuner I switched to TTS / Tuned by WIZ. Tuner I trashed, well I will just say "the other one".
Dennis Swan
I remember that cute little tuner you trashed.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:38 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I went with FP3 and am very impressed and happy.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:22 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a PC5 with a canned tune by FuelMoto. Works well with my current mods. If I were doing it again I would go with the Power Vision from FuelMoto. PV wasn't available when I got the PC5.

Bill

Old 03-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Here's what I've found over the years to hold true to form.

Guys will argue which tuning product is better to the ends of the earth or until they just stop talking to each other.

What you will hear as many ways as there are bikes is....

"My tuner did a great job therefore it's the best tuner"

What is left out at the end of that sentence is.. "for me".

Some don't care which tuner as long as it made their buddies bike run better and won't break the piggy bank. The rest do their best to make an educated guess and do as much research before making a major purchase such as a tuner.

When they use the new tuner the bike runs better. Is the tune perfect? Lord, only knows but it is better to the one that counts... the bike owner. Then there is the guy that just takes his bike to a shop and say tune it for me please.

The only bad tuners out there are the ones that don't tune your bike to expectations or create issues with the normal operation or cause your bike to suck gas. Now the term "tuner" could mean the product bought or the person making the adjustments. Either could fail and cause a really good product to preform like a piece of junk.

If you are not going to tune the bike yourself then make sure the human behind the tuning device uses the tuner he uses most and is familiar with. You will pay a little more but in most cases your bike will be tuned close enough for your needs. The learning software inside the bike's ECM will take it from there (to a point).

So, which is the best tuner? The tuning market has you covered. There are all shapes and sizes to choose from, take your pick. It all depends on which bells and whistles you want and who you are talking to and how deep you want to get into your tuning levels.

Bottom line is.... that you are happy with your purchase and your bike is running as efficiently as you need.

The following users liked this post:
RedOregon (03-07-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Buckscent
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said Wiz

Old 03-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

The next question is....

Why do tuners prefer one tuning produce over another?

That thread will be interesting to read.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 03-07-2016 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Best tuner