Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

First ride on a Freewheeler very disappointing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 03:24 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default First ride on a Freewheeler very disappointing.

I just came back from Demo days and my first ride on a Freewheeler was very disappointing. I have a hard time believing this trike is suppose to ride the way it did. Before I was out of the parking lot I could tell it was not going to be a good ride. The best way I can describe it is by saying it had a bad wobble. I was on smooth concrete so I can only imagine how bad it would be on pavement with ruts. I spoke with the guy that rode it after me and he said it was the worst ride he has ever had. I have very little trike experience but the Tri glide I rode was much much better. Have any of you experienced a wobble with your Freewheeler ?

Old 04-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,424 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Put 5K miles in 4 months on my FW, no wobble at all. Thing drives like a hotrod compared to the Triglide I had. If I had to guess on yours, I would say front tire did not have enough air in it...

Old 04-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I own a TG and rode the FW at Daytona a few weeks ago. It was a blast ! I ran it up pretty good in first and shot it to second and spun the tires. Now if it just had a big trunk and a tour pack and fairing and lowers....wait...I got a TG

Seriously no wob b le on the one I rode. Great trike

Old 04-29-2016, 05:07 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
I just came back from Demo days and my first ride on a Freewheeler was very disappointing. I have a hard time believing this trike is suppose to ride the way it did. Before I was out of the parking lot I could tell it was not going to be a good ride. The best way I can describe it is by saying it had a bad wobble. I was on smooth concrete so I can only imagine how bad it would be on pavement with ruts. I spoke with the guy that rode it after me and he said it was the worst ride he has ever had. I have very little trike experience but the Tri glide I rode was much much better. Have any of you experienced a wobble with your Freewheeler ?
Did you say anything to the dealer about it?

Old 04-29-2016, 06:12 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a freewheeler and its a great ride. Its important for there to be proper tire pressure in the front and to have the right amount of air in the rear shocks. I had a service recently and the tech let the air out of the shocks to do some adjustments on the exhaust and forgot to re-air the shocks. The ride was hideous until I re-aired them up and then it was great. I have 10 K on the freewheeler at this point and I love it . I ride it way more than my dyna . There is a small learning curve if you have never ridden one but other than that it is a fantastic riding experience. I ride mine all over and have toured on it extensively . Had a blast. I am guessing the trike was just not quite set up right when you rode it. And no ..never had a wobble .

Old 04-30-2016, 01:37 AM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
Was the wobble coming from the front end or the rear end rocking side to side?

Old 04-30-2016, 08:44 AM
C908
Road Warrior

I'm not sure if the wobble was more in the rear or front but it was definitely a side to side movement. It kind of reminds me of when the front end is out of alignment really bad on a car. I said something to the owner of the dealership but he didn't act concerned.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:04 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

it sounds to me like you are just not use to a three wheeler. i thought mine was odd, but after getting use to it, it rides well.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:24 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW, sorry your first ride turned out to be a clinker. I've had 2 Tri-Glides and now have a Freewheeler. Never experienced any wobble in any of them. Was on 2 wheel Harleys for almost 50 years before I triked. Dealer must be nuts to let people ride a 'Free' with a wobble. Sounds like an under inflated front tire.

Don't give up, try another

Old 04-30-2016, 07:21 PM
C908
Road Warrior

I went back to day two of demo days and spoke with the Harley rep. I convinced him to try the Freewheeler and experience the wobble for himself. He did agree after riding it that something wasn't quite right. He said it couldn't be tire pressure because they check it daily. They were going to take a look at the shocks. I had a friend call me this afternoon and said he rode the Freewheeler and it was terrible. I will try another one another time and see if I have better luck.

Quick Reply: First ride on a Freewheeler very disappointing.