Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Blonde Moment (no hate mail please)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 03:54 PM
BigBill1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blonde Moment (no hate mail please)

Woke up the other morning, sun was up, 65 degrees, light breeze..Perfect
day to go for a ride. Drank my coffee, got dressed and went out to get the TriGlide out of the garage. Unlocked ignition and pressed starter and NOTHING! Tried again after mentally checking, kill switch off, battery showing 13 volts, in neutral and key fob in pocket. Still nothing, starting to freak out. Noticed turn signals flashing. That never happened before. Freaking out big time now. Electrical problem? Called an old friend and old biker.Told him what was going on. He laughed and said "When was the last time you changed your FOB battery?" FOB battery? Anyway all is well now with a new 2032 battery.
Folks lesson learned. Change your FOB battery before you get stranded. I was lucky to be home.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Learn your overide code. And procedure.

The following users liked this post:
BigBill1 (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 04:23 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

I rode to work last week and left my FOB on the bench in my garage.

Took me a few but I recalled the input code.

It's worth knowing how to put in the code.

BigBill1 (04-30-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 06:21 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Learn your overide code. And procedure.
+ 1 just in case. and yes keep a couple of spare batteries in your trunk and when your fob does not work just swap it out and problem solved. I had a similar issue , talk about a blonde moment. When I first got the freewheeler I was a total newb.

I accidently hit my flashers instead of my start button and wondered why I could not get going ...dooooh!!! Also left my parking brake on once and used the reverse. Of course I tripped the switch and had to reset the breaker. Stupid moments happen . its all part of the experience. Hey at least its not a carb bike and forgetting to turn on the petcock will not leave you stranded. Sigh......

BigBill1 (04-30-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:38 AM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Don't feel bad... I did the same thing with my Ultra this weekend. Went to a HD shop open house. Left the fob in the garage where I was working on the bike. Boy am I glad that I never installed the siren. It was flashing up a storm if front of 300 bikes. I really need to change that passcode from the dealer default. I don't even remember what it was.

Thank God my wife rescued me. She's good at that!

Old 05-02-2016, 09:04 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Well here is one for you, when I got the 2013 Tri Glide it was the first bike I had with cruise control. Was OK for the first season of riding. The next season got the bike out of storage, started it up, and took off for a ride. Looked down and saw what appeared to me as the service engine light. I stopped checked for codes; nothing, started back up and there it was, the darn light was still there. Started driving to the dealer and hit an open road, set the cruse and low and behold the darn service engine light turned green I had forgot what the cruise symbol looked like. Was thankful nothing was wrong.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:35 AM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

......simple solution to this.............carry spare batteries.....they don't take up much room....

Old 05-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Gitarded
Road Master

That's a good suggestion if you remember the fob....LOL I had the spare batteries just nothing to put them in

Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 AM
BobRed0965
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, I was at the dealership Friday evening getting a scheduled service when someone calls in complaining about a malfunctioning alarm on his new bike. They spent 10 minutes talking the guy through testing various things, but his turn signals continued to flash. Then someone asked "are his hazards on?" Lots of laughter on both sides of the phone.

We all have those moments.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Gitarded
Road Master

Now that's funny!

I was at my hunting camp and one of the guys couldn't get his ATV running.... he did a tune up outside of the club house and still could not get it running. He was getting really pissed. I walked over and looked at his plugs. They were dry as a bone and he had been cranking on it for an hour. Then I looked over and saw he had a fuel shut off.... I asked him if the fuel was off.. well after turning in on it started right up.

Quick Reply: Blonde Moment (no hate mail please)