Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

belt adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 03:35 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts
Default belt adjustment

i need to adjust the belt on a 15 tri. what's the best way to go about this ? just put two jacks under it and pull the rear wheels? jackstands where ? axle tubes or under the rear body support ? this looks to be a bitch to do. any advice is most welcome. THANKS!

Old 05-21-2016, 05:18 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i need to adjust the belt on a 15 tri. what's the best way to go about this ? just put two jacks under it and pull the rear wheels? jackstands where ? axle tubes or under the rear body support ? this looks to be a bitch to do. any advice is most welcome. THANKS!
Jack stands under the swing arm, don't use the axle tubes. Here is how I adjust the belt https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...ml#post7599769. You will see the stand under the swing arm, also if you look to the bottom left, that is a scissors jack located under the heavy plate below the oil pan on the transmission.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:00 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

well i did this today, pita ! jackstands under the swingarm. i got my swingarm within .005 . i cut two blocks of wood and then put slots in them and used two jacks, placed the blocks of wood over the tie down loops and jacked it up. those axle bolts on mine were super tight, they call for 45 lbs. way tighter than that. i did it without removing the muffler or really anything else, just the wheels.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:20 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

well i did this today, pita ! jackstands under the swingarm. i got my swingarm within .005 . i cut two blocks of wood and then put slots in them and used two jacks, placed the blocks of wood over the tie down loops and jacked it up. those axle bolts on mine were super tight, they call for 45 lbs. way tighter than that. i did it without removing the muffler or really anything else, just the wheels.
It's amazing the break away torque required when a good high strength thread locker is applied, it'll be greater than the initial fastener torque.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:49 PM
dwoodlives
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Adjusting the Tri Glide belt is a PITA even when you have an above average workspace. Here's my setup: modified 'arms' for a hydraulic car lift. Sure makes oil changes a snap too.

Attached Thumbnails belt adjustment-img_20131212_114547_641.jpg   belt adjustment-img_20131214_103923_908.jpg  
Old 05-22-2016, 06:44 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dwoodlives
Adjusting the Tri Glide belt is a PITA even when you have an above average workspace. Here's my setup: modified 'arms' for a hydraulic car lift. Sure makes oil changes a snap too.
That lift would be handy for a lot of underneath type of work, be kind of rough for a belt adjustment due to the weight still being on the rear axle. I've been pretty happy with the Handy lift I work off of.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:59 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by msocko3
Jack stands under the swing arm, don't use the axle tubes. Here is how I adjust the belt https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...ml#post7599769. You will see the stand under the swing arm, also if you look to the bottom left, that is a scissors jack located under the heavy plate below the oil pan on the transmission.
i did it excactly the way you decribed to. worked like a champ ! i measured at the same location as you did too! don't see how you could get your measurements any other way. thanks alot for all your pic's and information, you've saved many hours for alot of people by posting your project. people like you are what makes this forum great !

Old 05-22-2016, 10:00 AM
dwoodlives
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
be kind of rough for a belt adjustment due to the weight still being on the rear axle. I've been pretty happy with the Handy lift I work off of.

Actually having it on the wheels isn't a problem. The actual movement of the axle to adjust the belt is so small [1/2 to 1 turn of the adjustment rod].

Old 05-22-2016, 03:23 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

i did it excactly the way you decribed to. worked like a champ ! i measured at the same location as you did too! don't see how you could get your measurements any other way. thanks alot for all your pic's and information, you've saved many hours for alot of people by posting your project. people like you are what makes this forum great !
Thanks, I try to help where I can.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:24 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dwoodlives
Actually having it on the wheels isn't a problem. The actual movement of the axle to adjust the belt is so small [1/2 to 1 turn of the adjustment rod].
For a small adjustment it would work good, last time I had to adjust one was after changing the transmission sprocket. When you have to move the rear axle an inch or more to get the belt off, you kind of need the rear wheels unloaded.

Quick Reply: belt adjustment