Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

PTT Switch 2016 TG

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 03:37 PM
bagger51
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default PTT Switch 2016 TG

Just bought a new 2016 TG. It does not come with the CB standard. I can live without the CB, but I would sure like a drivers Push to Talk switch for the intercom. Is buying the CB kit the only way I can get the PTT for intercom? That sucker is expensive.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by bagger51
Just bought a new 2016 TG. It does not come with the CB standard. I can live without the CB, but I would sure like a drivers Push to Talk switch for the intercom. Is buying the CB kit the only way I can get the PTT for intercom? That sucker is expensive.

You can use a headset or hand held mic to use voice control or activation, PTT not needed unless your going to Install a CB.

I have made phone calls with headset and controlled my music with It.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:36 AM
bagger51
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 30glock
You can use a headset or hand held mic to use voice control or activation, PTT not needed unless your going to Install a CB.

I have made phone calls with headset and controlled my music with It.
We used the VOX over the weekend. It worked pretty good, but the wind noise being picked up by the VOX got old after a while. With the PTT switch for the driver we could turn off the VOX. Getting the whole CB outfit just for the driver's PTT (passenger already has one) seems like overkill. It was really nice to be able to talk with the passenger, just want to make it better.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:12 AM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not positive, but I think you can get the push to talk button without buying the CB. A Service Writer at my dealer claims you have to buy a new handle bar switch control, but the one he keeps showing me has the lighted switch housing.

I have opened the housing and it appears the switch is there minus the button. Parts guys say the button is cheaper (maybe around $5).

Old 07-25-2016, 08:16 AM
bagger51
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Postal Trucker
I'm not positive, but I think you can get the push to talk button without buying the CB. A Service Writer at my dealer claims you have to buy a new handle bar switch control, but the one he keeps showing me has the lighted switch housing.

I have opened the housing and it appears the switch is there minus the button. Parts guys say the button is cheaper (maybe around $5).
Thanks. Exactly what I was hoping for. I will check this out with the dealer.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Polock48
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bagger51
Thanks. Exactly what I was hoping for. I will check this out with the dealer.
Please let us know what you find out.
Thanks

Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 AM
GeorgeP
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, the PTT is available via the 7 pin DIN connector on the tank. I am going to make a harness for my headset that is a Male DIN - Inline PTT - Female DIN. I would prefer the OEM grip PTT of course, but for times when the VOX won't cut it (like freeway speeds/noise) I'll use it.

George

Old 07-27-2016, 02:47 PM
bagger51
Cruiser

Quick update. Called the dealer to schedule install of PTT switch. They said they don't install it without the CB package.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:24 AM
dmaaero
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem with wind noise, set vox on screen an go for a ride. It"s very easy to adjust, with it on screen going down the road. Mine now works perfect without any wind noise what so ever.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:27 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaaero
Had the same problem with wind noise, set vox on screen an go for a ride. It"s very easy to adjust, with it on screen going down the road. Mine now works perfect without any wind noise what so ever.
What Is a VOX? Never used It, wife leans in and talks to me with no Issues, and she can hear my response with no Issues.
Voice Over System?

Quick Reply: PTT Switch 2016 TG