Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trunk heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:41 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts
Cool Trunk heat

Did a search, found nothing.
Has anyone done anything to reduce the heat inside the lower trunk?
Lift carpet and place some type of heat shield? My 14 TG got awful hot inside the lower trunk. Ruined a pair of rain pants and a gel seat pad on a long trip. Just curious and Wondering.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

That seems odd; the wife agreed, we've never taken anything out fo the trunk and noticed that it was even warm, much less hot enough to hurt anything. We've got te pair of Saddleman bags and those sit right on the bottom, with shoes on one side and some bagged items on the other, and never noticed it. Yeah, I know, no help, but I've never heard of it happening to anyone before, either.

Maybe if you were in traffic for a while? We don't recall every getting anything out after being stationary for a while. The bags usually have clothes on the inside, I guess we'll watch putting anything on the bottom of them.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:48 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

I've been in some extreme heat, and never call to contents of the trunk getting too hot.

But...maybe your exhaust is running way hot, as I have a tune, and am decatted. If that is the case, then maybe try to line the bottom under the existing liner with a couple layers of carpet.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Thanks all, I don't have the TG anymore, but considering another one....it was one thing that always bothered me...

Old 08-18-2016, 05:30 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Every now and then i stop at North of the Border in PA... And fill my trunk with supply's... And if my Trunk got that hot i probably would loose the door... If not the whole trunk...

Old 08-19-2016, 09:03 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Rum runner are we ? (wink) Right up there with the Kennedy's ............ lol

Old 08-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I have had rain suites in our 2013 since new, had gel seat cushions for a while, along with other items that would be damaged if it got that hot. Never had an issue. Are you running some modified pipes or something that would be causing extra heat? My pipes get hot, but only warm in the trunk. Like maybe 90° F or even to 120° in saturation with stop and go traffic. Never had anything even being more than warm to the touch after very warm days and going in trunk right after stopping.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:02 PM
rhino 2
Tourer

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Rum runner are we ? (wink) Right up there with the Kennedy's ............ lol
Nope... Just stuff with a low flash point...
And don't get me started with the Kennedy's...Only one of them knew how to swim... And he was asleep when his boat was run over...

Old 08-19-2016, 01:58 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino 2
Nope... Just stuff with a low flash point...
And don't get me started with the Kennedy's...Only one of them knew how to swim... And he was asleep when his boat was run over...
Cigars have a low flash point ? Btw, have you booked a trip to the island now that it's legal to go there ? I can only imagine it to be a cigar connoisseurs paradise. I'd go but my Dr. would have a hissy if I started smoking them again.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:22 PM
rhino 2
Tourer

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Cigars have a low flash point ? Btw, have you booked a trip to the island now that it's legal to go there ? I can only imagine it to be a cigar connoisseurs paradise. I'd go but my Dr. would have a hissy if I started smoking them again.
I stopped cigaretts in 1970... Still want to smoke, I stopped Cigars so-long ago that i don't even have any of the Cars/Trucks that i brunt holes in the seats with the Cigar any more.. I really miss the Cigars whenever someone is sucking on a Cigar in fount of me at a light i want to get off the Trike grab the Cigar from him and take a long draw..

Last edited by rhino 2; 08-19-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Trunk heat