Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Three back to Two Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 04:33 AM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Three back to Two Wheels

OK, I will fess up that I missed some two wheel motorcycling. Not a lot since I got my 2016 Harley Tri Glide and then a used 2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S as my sport trike, but still missed some of the conventional feel. My funky left hip had driven me to trikes but I have worked at self-rehabbing it over the past several months and there is some improvement in my strength/comfort. So, there was a screamin' deal on a local 2005 neglected Harley Road King with 26k miles that I bought a couple of weeks ago. The gas in the tank is questionable, the cam chain tensioners needed checking along with a change out of all fluids.

Well, after trailering it home, I bought a new battery, all kinds of fluids and gaskets and then jumped into the first order of business which was to open the cam chest and look at the condition of the inner and outer cam chain tensioners on my 88" twinkie.

I am happy to report that after pulling the header and muffler off and removing the cam chest cover that all is well in twinkie land. There was minimal wear on the nylon cam tensioners. I was really tickled to have done the work myself and just slowly followed the service manual and watched a couple of YouTube videos on the subject. Now that I know my adjusters are in good shape, it is on to the other to do items. However, I will NOT be selling either trike because they are too much fun. The RK will be just an occasional fun thing to play with. I am including a pic of the inspection of my outer cam chain adjuster.

Attached Thumbnails Three back to Two Wheels-camchest2.jpg  

Last edited by captbob; 09-21-2016 at 04:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fozworth (09-24-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 07:18 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Every now and then, I would like to go back on two wheels. Then I remind myself that I could not or, would not have been have been able to pull off the two back to back 8 day runs to the west coast from where I live in TX. The extra space afforded by the trunk vs saddlebags really paid off.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:46 PM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is why I bought myself a small Honda 750 just so I could still ride two wheels once in a while. I wanted something light enough I could lift it and still have enough power to ride with my group of friends. It does work well for tht purpose. I still love my Triglide whenever I want to ride two up. Things couldn't work out better for me.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:46 PM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Today, I think I completed most of the rehab of the 2005 Road King. A neighbor and I went down to the local Harley store, got a couple of new chrome master brake cylinder covers, some DOT4 fluid and proceeded to flush both the front and rear brake lines. The brakes were a little spongy and I was very concerned that the old brake fluid would eventually lead to frozen calipers. The rear brake line fluid was much dirtier than the front brake line fluid but now both are not spongy and sporting fresh brake fluid for the next two years until I do it again. The bike is now about ready to go and I will be going to the DMV on Monday to get a tag for the bike, call my insurance company and put it on with my other two machines and go riding at will. What fun! BTW, I took it over to a neighbor's house where both the husband and wife have been taking rodeo bike riding lessons on their Harleys and his wife wanted to take my bike for a spin in the community. Since she rides in tight circles better than I can, I suggested she put on some jeans and boots and she took it for a ride. She is used to a ex-police ultra with a solo cop seat and found the RK to be quite a bit different in terms of how it rode for her. BTW, she is not a particularly big woman but is a runner and darn good bike rider who only began riding reportedly just as she turned 50 years old.

Last edited by captbob; 09-24-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:19 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

I happened by the dealer where I traded bikes back in April. They still have my '15 Limited Low. I have no desire to buy it back. I will keep the trike for at least the next two years. That should give the mother ship more than enough time to iron out any issues with the new engine. If my knees do not become worse by then, I may just go back to two wheels for the fun of it. I can always rent a trike for long trips ......