Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Suspension Upgrades on 2011 TG

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:16 AM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Suspension Upgrades on 2011 TG

2011 TG
I went with the bitubo rear shocks. I spent the time to set them up as directed. Was a little disappointed at first. Then I realized that the back was improved, it was the front that needed the attention then.
I did the front end with AK20 Axxion Cartridge Kit. I only have a few miles on them but have found them much better than stock. All purchased from Traxxion Dynamics in GA.
As someone else said, the bumps now feel rounded over instead of the pogo stick effect with the stock setup. Where the new rear shocks shine for me is when you hit a bump with one rear. A lot smoother.
As the front has adjustment for rebound, after some tests I set it ¼ turn from soft. I was concerned with brake dive set this soft but on the trike it is no problem. Rear have a lever for settings, I also have them set just short of the softest setting.
These modifications are not on the cheap side. I have road this stock for over 60K with no problems. I had made the decision that I am going to keep this TG so I decided that it would be worth it to me to upgrade suspension instead of just servicing front and replacing rear with new stock shocks.
Everyone seems to report a night and day difference with these types of setups. I will not say that. Improved, yes, worth the time and money, only time will tell.
I am hitting the road tomorrow for 5 days pulling a trailer. Will have more of an idea on this setup after that.
Dennis Swan

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 10:21 AM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Dennis, I know where you are going... An I'm very jealous!!!! Definitely looking forward to your review of your new rear shocks and front end cartridges. Lots of bumpy road ahead!
Oh ya, don't forget to do a TS-100/Fulsac Combo "with trailer" update on the CAM thread.

Have a safe trip.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:23 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by iaff84
2011 TG
I went with the bitubo rear shocks. I spent the time to set them up as directed. Was a little disappointed at first. Then I realized that the back was improved, it was the front that needed the attention then.
I did the front end with AK20 Axxion Cartridge Kit. I only have a few miles on them but have found them much better than stock. All purchased from Traxxion Dynamics in GA.
As someone else said, the bumps now feel rounded over instead of the pogo stick effect with the stock setup. Where the new rear shocks shine for me is when you hit a bump with one rear. A lot smoother.
As the front has adjustment for rebound, after some tests I set it ¼ turn from soft. I was concerned with brake dive set this soft but on the trike it is no problem. Rear have a lever for settings, I also have them set just short of the softest setting.
These modifications are not on the cheap side. I have road this stock for over 60K with no problems. I had made the decision that I am going to keep this TG so I decided that it would be worth it to me to upgrade suspension instead of just servicing front and replacing rear with new stock shocks.
Everyone seems to report a night and day difference with these types of setups. I will not say that. Improved, yes, worth the time and money, only time will tell.
I am hitting the road tomorrow for 5 days pulling a trailer. Will have more of an idea on this setup after that.
Dennis Swan
My dad did the Traxxion AK20's a couple years ago, a little pricey but a nice upgrade. I've read nothing but good things about Biturbo, their shocks are almost like shock ****. By the sounds of it, you're going to have one sweet riding and handling Triglide.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:30 PM
iaff84
Tourer

Put 400 miles on this setup today. Are the upgrades worth the money? To me, yes. Can I recommend to someone else to spend the money, No.
It is not night and day difference. It is a very noticeable difference and I am glad I did it. After the miles today, I do not feel as fatigued in the arms as I would have before the modifications.
Like mentioned before, this is a 2011 with some miles. If I had a TG, any year, with less than 25000, I would just roll with what I had. (just my opinion) If I was replacing what I had with a 09 – 13 TG with some mileage, I would update the front and rear suspension.
Just ones opinion.
Hope you are enjoying your TG as much as I am!

Dennis

Last edited by iaff84; 10-29-2016 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:38 PM
iaff84
Tourer

Originally Posted by msocko3
My dad did the Traxxion AK20's a couple years ago, a little pricey but a nice upgrade. I've read nothing but good things about Biturbo, their shocks are almost like shock ****. By the sounds of it, you're going to have one sweet riding and handling Triglide.

Mike, I am enjoying ole Tubby, great day on the road today.
Dennis

Old 11-07-2016, 04:57 PM
iaff84
Tourer

My thoughts on the suspension of a 2011 TG.
The Pro Action Shock people said it would ride like a Caddy, handle like a Ferrari. I do not think that it is possible to ride like a caddy on a TG. So I did not buy that shock! (I personally am sick of all the hype people put on products these days, I read up on many things and feel like I need a shower afterwards)
As I said before, I can only speak to the 09 - 13 MY TGs. I went with the bitubo shocks on rear. I like them. Those alone with no front end change was NOT dramatic, as in night and day difference stated by some others. It helped but not like some reported. Now with the cartridge change to the front, yes, front and rear feel better working together. I need to firm up the front just a little to just a little lower towards soft from mid point. One sets them up in the middle, 1.5 turns either way to firm or soft. I set mine 1/4 turn from softest, now I want to go one more turn towards firm.
I have done 2K on complete setup. Rating setup if 5 was stock and 10 was just a plush cushy ride. My rating on changing rear only, a 6. Together with front end, a 8.5.
I really do not think a cushy ride (10) is attainable on a TG.
But that is just one opinion.
Would I spend the time and money again, in a heartbeat. It has been worth it to me.
Dennis Swan

The following users liked this post:
Hard Ride (11-07-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 04:37 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by iaff84
My thoughts on the suspension of a 2011 TG.
The Pro Action Shock people said it would ride like a Caddy, handle like a Ferrari. I do not think that it is possible to ride like a caddy on a TG. So I did not buy that shock! (I personally am sick of all the hype people put on products these days, I read up on many things and feel like I need a shower afterwards)
As I said before, I can only speak to the 09 - 13 MY TGs. I went with the bitubo shocks on rear. I like them. Those alone with no front end change was NOT dramatic, as in night and day difference stated by some others. It helped but not like some reported. Now with the cartridge change to the front, yes, front and rear feel better working together. I need to firm up the front just a little to just a little lower towards soft from mid point. One sets them up in the middle, 1.5 turns either way to firm or soft. I set mine 1/4 turn from softest, now I want to go one more turn towards firm.
I have done 2K on complete setup. Rating setup if 5 was stock and 10 was just a plush cushy ride. My rating on changing rear only, a 6. Together with front end, a 8.5.
I really do not think a cushy ride (10) is attainable on a TG.
But that is just one opinion.
Would I spend the time and money again, in a heartbeat. It has been worth it to me.
Dennis Swan

I completely agree, you're not going to get a perfectly cushy ride on a TG. It's always going to bobble side to side at times and be a little harsh. One thing I notice once the Traxxion AK20's were installed was the front end didn't seem to skip like it used to, it seems to hold the road better.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:26 PM
iaff84
Tourer

I have been doing some adjustments to the rear shocks and front fork cartridges on a 2011 TG.

I had adjusted the rear shock pre-load per instruction by doing some measuring of bike jacked up and suspension unloaded and it sitting on ground loaded. My results were less than acceptable. I then installed a simple wire tie around shock shaft so I could ride bike and see how much of the shock travel I was using.

Just riding “normal” road, no pot holes or RR crossing I found I need to add more pre-load. Then even more and again even more. Adjustments ended when I had about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of travel left in shock.
To be honest, I felt some improvement, not a great deal. I adjusted front to mid-point for rebound, (I had been more to soft) Set rear to softest setting, (had been more towards mid-point). A little better overall after that. Then I put 26 lbs air in rear tires, I have ran 20 to 22 for several years trying to use the tires for more suspension. Now even better??!! Go figure.
Then the big test! “She who must be obeyed”, the wife jumped on the back. I was surprised, she was impressed. We rode a road I like, she doesn’t because it is a little ruff, OK, just plain bad. I like it because I have rode it since the 60s and just like it. Only about a 10 mile stretch left of it.
For her, no more spine jolting bumps like before. She stated she still feels the bumps but not "up her back jolts" like before. She is happy, I am happy for obvious reasons.
For me, the big improvement came from front end more so than rear. I can hit a bump with front tire and not feel a lot of jolt through arms. Also when I hit a real rough patch, no more front end skating around. Seems to hold road better.
Riding back on a divided highway I noticed that the small road joints disappeared, now only the noise.
So over all, worth the money and worth the time to figure out how to set them up.
Dennis Swan

Old 11-16-2016, 06:44 PM
NHBAGGER
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I took a chance on the Pro-Action and he gave me a 100% money back guarantee if I did not like them. They are still on the trike and I am very pleased with them.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:56 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

The rubber bumper at the bottom moves up the shaft very easily with a some gentle pressure. Make sure not to scratch the shaft when doing it. This can then be used to see how much travel you get, instead of using a zip tie.

Please don't use a zip tie. There is a distinct possibility of damaging the seal.

The bumper on the Bitubo's has quite a bit of give...you may find that the ride is even better if you adjust the preload to where the bumper barely gets pushed down all the way to the bottom when you do your test ride.

That still leaves some travel (via the compression of the bumper) for the occasional BIG bumps.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrades on 2011 TG