Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Wheel Chocks On Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:24 AM
bagger51
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Wheel Chocks On Trailer

I am looking at buying a cargo trailer to haul my TG to Phoenix, Arizona and back from Kansas City, MO. Yes, I am a future snowbird. I am thinking a 6' x 12' would be just about right. Although I know tie-downs will work (either already on the trailer or installed by me), I see some trailers that come with 1 or 2 wheel chocks. Since the front end of TG is essentially the same as an Ultra, I am thinking that I could use the wheel chock to help secure the TG along with the tie-downs. Any reason to think that the wheel chock is not a good idea for the TG. Thank you.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:31 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bagger51
I am looking at buying a cargo trailer to haul my TG to Phoenix, Arizona and back from Kansas City, MO. Yes, I am a future snowbird. I am thinking a 6' x 12' would be just about right. Although I know tie-downs will work (either already on the trailer or installed by me), I see some trailers that come with 1 or 2 wheel chocks. Since the front end of TG is essentially the same as an Ultra, I am thinking that I could use the wheel chock to help secure the TG along with the tie-downs. Any reason to think that the wheel chock is not a good idea for the TG. Thank you.
A chock is a great idea, I use a simple pingle chock. I strap around the lower triple tree and pull the bike or trike into the chock. I also strap the back end, on a TG they have hooks for attaching too on the back end. I also use them to pull forward into the chock.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:33 AM
Polock48
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a Pingel front wheel chock in my enclosed trailer, that way I can remove it when I use the trailer for other uses. Installed floor tie downs in the floor to secure the rear of the TG.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:06 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I have had Condor whell chocks for years .

The following users liked this post:
twoglides13 (02-21-2017)
Old 12-26-2016, 07:27 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by bagger51
If you are hauling 1 bike 6x12 is fine, if 2 bikes you need to go to 7x12 and stagger the bikes. When I bought mine the trailer sales guy said the chocks that are installed at the factory are junk. Way cheaper to buy some on Harbor Freight and Salvage and install yourself, which is what I did. Work fantastic.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:33 AM
YellowCab
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Check out the biker bar for trailering. I could never go back to a chock and straps. Search some vids on YouTube. Here's a link to the product. http://ktperformance.net/i-9456846-b...FdgHgQodw_gMAA

Old 12-26-2016, 08:22 AM
hambone51
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In looking for an enclosed cargo trailer for my `15 Triglide I found you should measure the rear door to take into consideration the cables width also. For me I would only feel comfortable with a 7` wide trailer for a trike. Last winter I had some work done at dealer who picked up the trike with a 6` wide trailer. A little close for me with the cables and rear fenders. As far as length goes 12` looked good. If you are going to be a snow bird and need more storage might consider 14`. Also I noticed the tongue length seemed kinda short. Depending on what you are towing with you might want to consider ordering a trailer with an extended tongue. Looks like I would need that with our 8` wide class A motorhome.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Bowler Jerry
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 6x10 trailer from Trailers Plus and Freewheeler fits in the trailer, but there is only 4" on each side going through the door.Would recommend at least a 7 ft wide trailer.The trailer worked with sportster but is tight with Trike.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:36 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowCab
Check out the biker bar for trailering. I could never go back to a chock and straps. Search some vids on YouTube. Here's a link to the product. http://ktperformance.net/i-9456846-b...FdgHgQodw_gMAA
Very cool. Would have bought these instead of the chocks had I known they existed.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:04 AM
brute force
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 6x12 v nose enclosed. Has about four inches on each side going in. I used guide blocks on each side of the rear wheel once it's in. Keeps it from shifting too over bumpy roads. Diagonally tie down the rear and for the front I use a #5 wheel dock. The wheel dock is a bit over kill but I always use them when we were on two wheels.

Attached Thumbnails Wheel Chocks On Trailer-img_0681.jpg   Wheel Chocks On Trailer-img_0679.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wheel Chocks On Trailer