Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Oil Brand and Harley Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 03:19 PM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Oil Brand and Harley Warranty

All set up in the next week to change my engine oil. Had the 1,000 mile service done at dealer but have decided to at least do the engine oil myself at each interval. Dealer used synthetic in all 3 holes as requested.

I was going to use Mobile 1 20W50 V-Twin oil from Walmart instead of Harley sny3, but my buddy pointed out in our owner's manual the information about use of oil.

Should I stick with Harley oil until after warranty? I bought my filter from the dealer and planned on taking photos of the receipt along with odometer to save just in case I have to prove the oil change.

Could using Mobile 1 possibly effect my warranty?

Old 01-01-2017, 04:22 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
All set up in the next week to change my engine oil. Had the 1,000 mile service done at dealer but have decided to at least do the engine oil myself at each interval. Dealer used synthetic in all 3 holes as requested.

I was going to use Mobile 1 20W50 V-Twin oil from Walmart instead of Harley sny3, but my buddy pointed out in our owner's manual the information about use of oil.

Should I stick with Harley oil until after warranty? I bought my filter from the dealer and planned on taking photos of the receipt along with odometer to save just in case I have to prove the oil change.

If the mobile 1 is ..JASO MA Rated your good to go... I would use full synthetic ' Wont effect the warrteny i just prefer it..

Old 01-01-2017, 04:37 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

You will be fine using the Mobil 1 V Twin oil, you warranty will not be in jeopardy.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:24 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I use Mobile in engine, going with Red Line in trans, Harley in the primary

Old 01-02-2017, 07:57 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino 2
If the mobile 1 is ..JASO MA Rated your good to go... I would use full synthetic ' Wont effect the warrteny i just prefer it..

I will have to go read one of the bottles of Mobile 1 Synthetic Motorcycle oil at Wally World to see if that JASO MA rating is on it.

When you read the manual it talks about using diesel engine oil if you can't get Harley oil and have to add some to your engine. Going by the owners manual you would swear Harley oil is the only oil approved.

Thanks to all for replies.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:14 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Mobil 1 is not a problem. My dealer will put that in or Amzoil if you request it at an oil change

Old 01-02-2017, 01:34 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Bro, for all the difference its going to make, use what lets you sleep at night. If, in the meantime, you want the extra satisfaction of babying your baby, do more frequent changes.

I'm a Red Line user but as happy as I am with that choice, I wouldn't have gone with it If I thought for one minute it might affect my warranty.

You're getting sound advice here IMHO but use the M1 only if you 110% agree. Otherwise it won't be worth the worry,, not even a little.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

No problems with brand of oil and warranty. I prefer Red Line products just because I have had such positive results with their tranny fluid, primary, and oil. The dealer I go to uses Shaffer oil on new warranty bikes and Trikes unless you want something else. It really comes down to the spec of the oil. Had Harley's for years and really comes down to keeping slippery stuff flowing. Beyond that some oils will cool better, or create enough anti friction to make things work better.

Last edited by Fusionfool; 01-02-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:56 PM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I will have to go read one of the bottles of Mobile 1 Synthetic Motorcycle oil at Wally World to see if that JASO MA rating is on it.

When you read the manual it talks about using diesel engine oil if you can't get Harley oil and have to add some to your engine. Going by the owners manual you would swear Harley oil is the only oil approved.

Thanks to all for replies.
Hey ISP, From your photo, you look like you've been around the Block a few times, owned several Harley's, probably at least a Dozen cars? And you're going to WallyWorld, to check & see if Mobil V-Twin is right for your H-D? Don't you think the Biggest Oil Company in the World did their Homework? You should be worried about H-D, Syn3, & Citgo? Google "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act", of 1975! I can't believe you posted those questions! You sounded like a Newby! They say, there isn't a Dumb Question, well you're on the cusp! I'm sorry, I think it is Funny as Hell!
PS, PLEASE, don't buy Rotella 20W-50, it will say JASO on the label!

Old 01-02-2017, 07:03 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by boston jim
PLEASE, don't buy Rotella 20W-50, it will say JASO on the label!
No such thing as Rotella 20w50.

What is the problem with a JASO certification on oil, JASO is the only certification for Motorcycle Oil...

Originally Posted by boston jim
They say, there isn't a Dumb Question, well you're on the cusp!
Well, you have got the dumb answer covered...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-02-2017 at 07:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
ISP-FLHTK (01-03-2017), sloufoot (01-03-2017)

Quick Reply: Oil Brand and Harley Warranty