Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Fender Bra / mud flaps

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:16 AM
laabdog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fender Bra / mud flaps

Just picked up a used 2016 tri glide with 155 miles on it. My question is I see that they seek a leather bra that goes over the 2 fenders. Does any one use them and is there a concern about rocks and things that hit your fenders and ding them up. I also notice dealer sells a kit that is a clear plastic that can be applied to fenders for this. I plan on keeping trik for a long time and like to know if anyone uses any of these products or they just don't bother. Also do people put mud flaps on the back part of fenders. Thank you

Old 01-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Trikin
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine isn't a triglide, but my fenders are ate up from all of the rock chips. It's good to protect them in one fashion or the other. That or buy some touch up paint and get good at applying it.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:54 PM
Muffbrorick
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the 3M clear film on mine and it works pretty good keeping the marks off of the top of the fender and next to the passenger foot pegs.

I have about 16k on mine and I am seeing some chips on the front of the fenders from rocks or whatever. I have heard the fender bras will hold the dirt and moisture in and scratch up the fenders worse. I am just living with the dings for now.

I would like to find some nice mud flaps though.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:27 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

I had the fender bras on my 2013 Triglide that I bought used. It had a bunch of chips in the fenders so I used the bra to cover those. I didn't see any scratches from the bra holding dirt, but I never took them off to look. I have the Kuryakyn mud flaps on my 2016 Triglide, I like them. You do have to drill 3 holes in the rear of the fender to install them. I did not put the bras on this trike

The following users liked this post:
Muffbrorick (01-25-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:04 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Go with the clear protective film and mud flaps. After a few years if the fenders get dinged up put on the fender bra's.

It's like putting seat covers on a new car just so someone will get a used car with great looking seats. Enjoy the paint in the sun (unless it's black)

I didn't put the film on my 2013 and destroyed the fenders, hence the fender bra's.

Attached Thumbnails Fender Bra / mud flaps-2017-tg-gold-black.jpg   Fender Bra / mud flaps-resized.jpg  

Last edited by wingfoot; 01-24-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Oogie Wa Wa (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:07 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the Harley protective film applied when I picked up my new 14 triglide. I like it especially since I also installed the protective film. I will tell you that I did get some paint chips around the outside of the film when I had quite a few miles on a new tar and chip road. Jim

Old 01-24-2017, 09:16 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased the protective film and "tried" to put it on myself with terrible results. I finally gave up and since I was leaving on an extended trip last summer I purchased the fender bras. I can't say I'm totally happy with them since they do cover up a great paint job but they do the trick. I wanted something not only to protect from rocks and such but also getting on and off the bike. Not so much for me but for my wife. It's real easy to hit the fender with your boots getting on and off, especially if you're tired and not thinking. If you should go with the bra, be sure and keep the fenders clean and well waxed under it. It's simple to do and if you don't, you run the risk of getting something up under it that can scratch things pretty good.

Muffbrorick (01-26-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:55 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

For the first few months I debated on getting fender bras. I had protective film on but didn't like the looks of it. I hesitated on the Harley bras because of the way they were fastened. I didn't want to remove each taillight every time in order to take them off for cleaning/waxing.

I finally put them on about a month ago. My TG is black so I think they look okay. I have only taken them off once and it only takes a couple minutes because of the way the taillights are fastened.

I use 303 protectant to keep them looking good after washing the bike. Like someone else mentioned, I have drug my size 12 across it getting off the bike so I am glad they are on there, plus no chance of getting rock chips. As far as mud flaps, I don't really see any purpose except to add some bling.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:22 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the HD fender bras on my '13 Tri-Glide. Took them off the '09 when I traded....the fenders were like new! The 3M clear plastic looks like crap!

ISP-FLHTK (01-26-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:19 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

i would like to see pic's of front fender mud flaps. i think they would go along way to saving the rear fenders.

Quick Reply: Fender Bra / mud flaps