Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Can you put a car tire on the rear of a Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:17 PM
jschultz1961
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you put a car tire on the rear of a Trike?

I have a 2010 Triglide, Ultra Classic. Can I put the same size car tire on the rear of my trike?

jschultz@hot.rr.com

Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Same size as what? The Original equipment rear tires are car tires. My 2012 has 205/65R-15. Most were shipped with Dunlop Signature tires, which I think are crap,,,and I put Michelin Pilots on mine.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:00 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Same size as what? The Original equipment rear tires are car tires. My 2012 has 205/65R-15. Most were shipped with Dunlop Signature tires, which I think are crap,,,and I put Michelin Pilots on mine.
My dad is on his second set of OE Dunlops, never had an issue rain or shine and lord knows he's ridden through a **** pot full or rain.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have Goodyear Triple Thread Assurance tires on mine....

Attached Thumbnails Can you put a car tire on the rear of a Trike?-sdc10830.jpg   Can you put a car tire on the rear of a Trike?-sdc10834.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jlbflhtc (08-22-2020)
Old 02-06-2017, 10:00 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

i was wondering about the ride quality on some other tires beside the oe tires ? looking for a better ride.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:49 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I have Good Year Comfort tread and love them. Softer ride, very good in rain. Have about 5K on them now and with the tread expected life (80K) on these will last way longer than I will have the Trike.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:07 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Only if you mount them upside down and backwards

I remember many years ago I bought a Honda Pilot, sort of an off road go cart. No suspension of any sort. People said they huge fat tires would smooth out the ride. I listened to them and bought it.

Years later I bought a 'special construction' hard tail. People told me the '200 series tire' would smooth out the ride. I listened to them.

I have owned and ridden 2 Tri-Glides and now a Freewheeler. You can spend any amount of money you have, new tires, rims, shocks, etc. you will NEVER get it to ride like your old Ultra. I'm honest, spent a lot of money and got nearly nothing. Lots of placebo effect answers, "I spent $2000. dollars on all new suspension and shocks and it sure feels better now" Maybe it was the lightness of thier wallets.

Good Luck, enjoy it, ride it like you stole it, get a good back belt and don't ride it off road.

The following 4 users liked this post by screwball:
Fearless (old nickname) (02-07-2017), ole_phart (06-22-2020), Recan (02-13-2017), TOHOG (06-22-2020)
Old 02-07-2017, 03:06 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball

I remember many years ago I bought a Honda Pilot, sort of an off road go cart. No suspension of any sort. People said they huge fat tires would smooth out the ride. I listened to them and bought it.

Years later I bought a 'special construction' hard tail. People told me the '200 series tire' would smooth out the ride. I listened to them.

I have owned and ridden 2 Tri-Glides and now a Freewheeler. You can spend any amount of money you have, new tires, rims, shocks, etc. you will NEVER get it to ride like your old Ultra. I'm honest, spent a lot of money and got nearly nothing. Lots of placebo effect answers, "I spent $2000. dollars on all new suspension and shocks and it sure feels better now" Maybe it was the lightness of thier wallets.

Good Luck, enjoy it, ride it like you stole it, get a good back belt and don't ride it off road.

Preach Brother Steve, preach!!! I'm enjoying and appreciate your posts more and more all the time!!! Fallen into that same money pit. Finally found a ladder, LOL!

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 03:59 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball

We don't always agree, but damn you hit the nail right square on the head. The only time I have found suspension work to be of value is when a rider is a little more aggressive than the average Bear. Tuning the suspension will get you a better cornering machine when pushing hard through the twisties.

As for ride quality, throw all the suspension goodies at it you want, it's like putting lipstick on a pig. A straight axle trike is still going to ride like a straight axle trike. I agree most people think it rides better because they just dropped a boat load of cash on the latest suspension mod, it's just the placebo effect taking hold.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:05 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I would like to know why people buy a motorcycle / trike . They complain about the ride ,wind,rain,cold, speed, the stereo. It's not a luxury car. Might be priced as one . But I do believe that they are not advertisd as one . Not saying that I haven't tweaed my own hear and there . But I sure enjoy all the motorcycle that I have owned through the years .

Quick Reply: Can you put a car tire on the rear of a Trike?