Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike Engine Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:24 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Trike Engine Modifications

As the topic says, post up what your running. I'm trying to get a handle on what direction I'm going to go with my 2010 Triglide so rather reinvent the wheel I figure folks can post up what works and what doesn't so others may benefit. Given the weight these beast carry around what works on a 2 wheel bike may be bad ju ju for a Trike. At 1st glance the Triglide with the 103" engine and the 255 cam looks to be a nice fit, the 255 cam with the early intake close hits like a ton of bricks down low which is were we want our torque. The down side is the high CCP of this combination. The 103 with 255 cams have a CCP (Cold Cranking Compression) in excess of 200 which can be bad news when the fuel quality is marginal. As we all know what looks to work or not work on paper sometimes works the opposite in real life.

So those that have a 103 with 255 cams in any Trike or even a side car rig what area of the US do you ride in and whats mods besides cams have you done? I'm thinking about stuffing a set of 255 cams in my 2010 Triglide but am concerned when I'm riding out west in high temp's and marginal fuel quality will lead to a ping monster.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent post!! This is the route I will eventually take, being well-advised to stay with Harley parts for warranty's sake. I've done most of my riding on the east coast and have been lucky enough to always find 93 octane. What I'd like to know is, what additives can be purchased for fill-ups of less than 91 octane when that is all that is available.

msocko3, thanks for explaining CCP!

Last edited by Boom; 09-27-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:53 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Boom
What I'd like to know is, what additives can be purchased for fill-ups of less than 91 octane when that is all that is available.
What I have done with my 06 Ultra which has 10.1 compression when I've been forced to use gas which is less than 91 octane is use http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

which seems to get me buy in a pinch. There are other additives out there you just need to make sure they are O2 sensor and catylatic converter safe.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:56 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 255 cams with my 103 built motor. Im runing a PC V with auto tune. I have had my trike up to Maryland over to Milwaukee down to Memphis then down to New Orleans and back to South Carolina since switching over to the PC V with auto tune.

Gas mileage is subjective to several things,

How much total weight the motor has to carry
The area of the country your riding in
Wind, temps and altittude
How aggresive you ride and your speed
The octane rating of the gas
How long the gas has been in storage since the tank was filled last at the gas station
Is there ethonol added to the gas your buying?? ( up to 10% )

Now with that being said Im a big guy, I ride solo and I do ride at times aggresively and will usually push 5-8 mph over the posted speed on the highway

My fuel mileage would vary according to all the variables I stated. The best I got was 37 mpg and the worst was 30 mpg. Almost all interstate riding

I wish the gas manufactures wouldnt add ethonol to the fuel. I got 43 mpg last year in Wyoming running 93 octane with no ethonol

My PC V was purchased from Fuel Moto and I will say the map is a little on the rich side. But I never had any pinging and the motor oil temps would stay around 210 on the interstate in 95 degree weather running 70-78 mph according to my oil temp gauge.

After posting this I decided to check the condition of my plugs. The electrodes were a light grey with a light brown on the porcelin shield. Looks good to me for the fuel map I got from Fuel Moto

Hope this helps

Tom

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 09-27-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:39 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW, Octane boosters such as 104+, Liquid Horsepower and Amsoil Octane booster will not harm your O2 sensors as per theyre websites.

I have used both 104+ and Amsoil octane boosters with no issues when I was riding out west last year in the Mountains.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:17 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
I have the 255 cams with my 103 built motor. Im runing a PC V with auto tune. I have had my trike up to Maryland over to Milwaukee down to Memphis then down to New Orleans and back to South Carolina since switching over to the PC V with auto tune.

Gas mileage is subjective to several things,

How much total weight the motor has to carry
The area of the country your riding in
Wind, temps and altittude
How aggresive you ride and your speed
The octane rating of the gas
How long the gas has been in storage since the tank was filled last at the gas station
Is there ethonol added to the gas your buying?? ( up to 10% )

Now with that being said Im a big guy, I ride solo and I do ride at times aggresively and will usually push 5-8 mph over the posted speed on the highway

My fuel mileage would vary according to all the variables I stated. The best I got was 37 mpg and the worst was 30 mpg. Almost all interstate riding

I wish the gas manufactures wouldnt add ethonol to the fuel. I got 43 mpg last year in Wyoming running 93 octane with no ethonol

My PC V was purchased from Fuel Moto and I will say the map is a little on the rich side. But I never had any pinging and the motor oil temps would stay around 210 on the interstate in 95 degree weather running 70-78 mph according to my oil temp gauge.

After posting this I decided to check the condition of my plugs. The electrodes were a light grey with a light brown on the porcelin shield. Looks good to me for the fuel map I got from Fuel Moto

Hope this helps

Tom
This is exactly the type of information I'm looking for, thanks for sharing. Where I live I can always get 93 octane with no ethanol yet my Triglide still gets mileage in the high 20's. I'm thinking between changing the cams, loosing the cat and some tuning I can get it where it should be. My oil temp gage is on back order so I haven't seen what they are yet, know its not going to be good. I plan on changing out the HD oil cooler and replacing it with a Jagg low mount 10 row. Looks like its going to be a busy winter in the Socko garage. I have to still do the chrome front end, auto garage door opener, install the 2nd horn under the fairing and now it looks like I'm going to do some cams and kill a cat . I'm betting my Dad will also go with whatever cam I go with in his 09.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:55 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
This is exactly the type of information I'm looking for, thanks for sharing. Where I live I can always get 93 octane with no ethanol yet my Triglide still gets mileage in the high 20's. I'm thinking between changing the cams, loosing the cat and some tuning I can get it where it should be. My oil temp gage is on back order so I haven't seen what they are yet, know its not going to be good. I plan on changing out the HD oil cooler and replacing it with a Jagg low mount 10 row. Looks like its going to be a busy winter in the Socko garage. I have to still do the chrome front end, auto garage door opener, install the 2nd horn under the fairing and now it looks like I'm going to do some cams and kill a cat . I'm betting my Dad will also go with whatever cam I go with in his 09.
You got that right.

The following 2 users liked this post by oldmsocko:
Baires52 (10-05-2022), rscott1@telus.net (04-07-2024)
Old 09-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like its going to be a busy winter in the Socko garage.
We'll be keeping an eye on your progress. Keep us updated. Thanks for the initiative (and expense!)!

Last edited by Boom; 09-28-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Boom
We'll be keeping an eye on your progress. Keep us updated. Thanks for the initiative (and expense!)!
I'll be sure to post up my progress, might not be able to post results till spring.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 09 Converter

I had my Tri in for the 1000 mile service and got no where with the heat problem, basically was told there was nothing they could do. Some of the same explinations for why it was running hot that we have all figured out on the forum. I was told the 09 had the Catalytic Converter on them also and was at a loss of what to say after that. I am not confident they could even help me now even if we figure out the right way to go. I held my tongue and thought I would be dead certain that the 09 does not have the cat. I don't know why fuelmoto would just now be developing "due in Oct" a head pipe with out the cat if the 09 had one. I told the man the only cats in 09 were Cali, CVO and export models but he asssured me the 09 Tri Glide had the cat also. I got to find another service dept.

At any rate I will also do some winter mods, the weather we are having now has cooled the ride down. The synthetic should help a little if past experience holds true. Just to be on the safe side, am I correct in my opinion the 09 Tri Glides do not have the catalytic converter?

Quick Reply: Trike Engine Modifications