Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TG Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TG Trailer Hitch

Am buying a new pull behind trailer next week. Need to get my 2011 TG set up with trailer hitch and wiring. Will do a search on the forum for info, but am curious as any hints or advice I could get before buying and installing.

I know I want a hitch that is quickly and easily installed and detached so the MOCO does not flag my warranty. My new trailer has a 4 pin flat adaptor. Wondering how to wire to the TG for the signal, tag light, and brake lights.

Your info is appreciated.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:03 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

I used the hitch from www.mchitch.com. Luckily my trike was made before Jan 2011 so it had the 4 taped holes to bolt into. Takes about 5 min to install or remove. As far as wiring, I bought one of the kits available on line. I just hide the wiring if I need warrenty work.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer

Originally Posted by bronxbill
I used the hitch from www.mchitch.com. Luckily my trike was made before Jan 2011 so it had the 4 taped holes to bolt into. Takes about 5 min to install or remove. As far as wiring, I bought one of the kits available on line. I just hide the wiring if I need warrenty work.
Bronxbill, did you put locktite on each of the 4 bolts? If so, is it hard to remove when you detach and then reattach?

Did you install a wiring harness with the isolator? If so, where do you get the installation instructions for a 2011 TG?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

DD
As for the wiring I used one ofthese, easy connect and dis-connect..
http://ridetimetechnology.com/qc_trailer_adapter.htm

I have MCHitch for sale, was on my 2010. I could send a measurement to make sure it'll fit, take 150.00 for it..

Old 12-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer

Originally Posted by Casper
DD
As for the wiring I used one ofthese, easy connect and dis-connect..
http://ridetimetechnology.com/qc_trailer_adapter.htm

I have MCHitch for sale, was on my 2010. I could send a measurement to make sure it'll fit, take 150.00 for it..
Frank,
Yeah, send me a measurement of the 4 holes and any pics, if possible. my email is dieseldawg@atmc.net

Did your wiring include an isolator and did you have to use a converter to a 4 pin? Never had my seat off, so this will be an experience trying to wire it.
Ken

Old 12-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Ken
I go to Car Quest, they sell a five wire plug, I like it, have been using it for a while now. The jumper connector in the web site has five wires...easy to hook up. Just unplug you tail lights, plug this one in, reconnect your tail light plug...then the five wires coming off the plug goes to the trailer...I ran the wires down from the jumper to the receiver hitch area, connected the trailer side of the plug and then ran the wires back to the trailer, one at aTime making sure the turn,mbrake and tail,lights were working and correct...easy stuff.

My hitch is for a 2010, the 11’s may be different depending when the trike was manufactured...I'll get some pics and measurements to you email tomorrow....

Old 12-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer

Originally Posted by Casper
Ken
I go to Car Quest, they sell a five wire plug, I like it, have been using it for a while now. The jumper connector in the web site has five wires...easy to hook up. Just unplug you tail lights, plug this one in, reconnect your tail light plug...then the five wires coming off the plug goes to the trailer...I ran the wires down from the jumper to the receiver hitch area, connected the trailer side of the plug and then ran the wires back to the trailer, one at aTime making sure the turn,mbrake and tail,lights were working and correct...easy stuff.

My hitch is for a 2010, the 11’s may be different depending when the trike was manufactured...I'll get some pics and measurements to you email tomorrow....
My trailer will be a 4 pin flat, not 5. So what do you advise in this situation. Thanks for all of your help.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:54 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Diesel

The trike is wired like a car since it has dual tail lights. I have a 4 pin connector also, I just used a 4 pin extension available from Walmart. If you try to use a 5 to 4 adapter with an isolator, one of your taillights will not work. I found that out the hard way, took me quite a while to figure it out and just go to 4 pin wiring.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 AM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
Am buying a new pull behind trailer next week. Need to get my 2011 TG set up with trailer hitch and wiring. Will do a search on the forum for info, but am curious as any hints or advice I could get before buying and installing.

I know I want a hitch that is quickly and easily installed and detached so the MOCO does not flag my warranty. My new trailer has a 4 pin flat adaptor. Wondering how to wire to the TG for the signal, tag light, and brake lights.

Your info is appreciated.
Diesel, the MCHitch that BB installed was designed to fit '09-'11. If you go to MCHitch's site, check their installation instructions. It shows the additional hardware they have that allows it to fit all three years. Mine is a '10, so all I had to do was use a propane torch to free up the permanent locktite that Lehman used and bolt the MCHitch right one. I also bought MCHitch's complete wiring setup. It is truly a plug and play. I did take the extra time to use heatshrink/crimp style ends for the battery and ground wires. The MCHitch wiring harness will work perfectly on your trike, provided you install the harness exactly where they say. There are 2 plugs that look exactly alike and relatively close to one another. Guess what? If you install the harness in the plug that is the easiest to get to, you only get one side of the tail lights to work. Here's what I did, in additioin to staring at the wiring diagrams for an hour or so. I went to the RIVCO website. Look at their installation instructions for their wiring harness. They actually show in a picture the difference between the two possible HD plugs and point to the one you HAVE TO USE. The other reason why I went with MCHitch is that the hitch is exactly the right height (with Dennis' shock lift) for my Roll-a-Home tent trailer. As a matter of fact, it would have been good with or without the lift kit. So that saved me from having to buy another receiver unit. Good luck with the project

Last edited by TheBobs; 01-01-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 AM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

A couple shots of the MCHitch on a '10 TG.

Attached Thumbnails TG Trailer Hitch-rollahomeandtg-1.jpg   TG Trailer Hitch-hitch2-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: TG Trailer Hitch