Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Any `14 Triglides Puking Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:15 PM
hambone51
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any `14 Triglides Puking Coolant?

The touring forum has posts about 14`s puking coolant. Any Triglides doing the same thing so far?

Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

On the 'other' trike board there was 1. He took it back to the dealer, they replaced the filler neck and cap. Hasn't had any problems since.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 PM
DC COBRA
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my Triglide last Wednesday. about 90 degrees outside, went about 6 miles down the road, parked it and it leaked out about the size of a coffee can lid. I could hear spewing but could not locate where it was coming from. Called the dealer and they was wanting to come pick it up immediately and said they knew what was going on at would fix it immediately. Although I will ride a little more and see what happens. Bike had 28 miles on her. Mysterious red and black cayenne accents. bike is awesome.
DON

Old 10-03-2013, 08:38 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my trike out today for a 170 mile jaunt up into the mountains to see the Aspens changing to a beautiful golden color, view the springs running alongside the road and visit one of my favorite mountain lakes. When I got back home I pulled the bike into the garage...and saw some drips on the floor

Oh sorry, I left out the part where I washed the TriGlide.

Darn mountain dirt roads around the lake!

Mileage after today's ride is 547. Yippee! Ride it like I stole it now!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 PM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DC COBRA
Got my Triglide last Wednesday. about 90 degrees outside, went about 6 miles down the road, parked it and it leaked out about the size of a coffee can lid. I could hear spewing but could not locate where it was coming from. Called the dealer and they was wanting to come pick it up immediately and said they knew what was going on at would fix it immediately. Although I will ride a little more and see what happens. Bike had 28 miles on her. Mysterious red and black cayenne accents. bike is awesome.
DON

WOW...now that is a real EL STINKO statement for a dealer to say....if they knew about what was the matter,,,,why did they not fix it before delivery ?????

Old 10-03-2013, 11:20 PM
tmigala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe momma
WOW...now that is a real EL STINKO statement for a dealer to say....if they knew about what was the matter,,,,why did they not fix it before delivery ?????
It is not happening on all of them so I would suspect they are fixing the caps on the ones that they get complaints about. I guess you can look at it from both sides. HD: don't fix what ain't broke. New Owner: if you knew it was possible why didn't you fix what maybe broke. Bottom line I expect money. They are in business to turn the best profit possible.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:23 AM
dwludwi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has leaked out the the vent hose twice. Both times have happened after longer rides including some interstate riding. Took it in to the nearest dealer and they said everything checks out. Will see if it does it again. I may just replace the radiator cap with an aftermarket one and be done with it.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:32 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by dwludwi
Mine has leaked out the the vent hose twice. Both times have happened after longer rides including some interstate riding. Took it in to the nearest dealer and they said everything checks out. Will see if it does it again. I may just replace the radiator cap with an aftermarket one and be done with it.
Since they don't have an overflow tank, be sure and do a cool down after you shut the engine down. Turn the switch back on, so the fans run for a while to blow off some of the heat in the coolant. Don't start the engine but I would also open up the throttle a ways (I think it is somewhere around half throttle) then release back to idle position to turn on the water pump & circulate the coolant while it cools down.
Just my opinion....
Ride safe
Ride often !

Old 10-04-2013, 09:34 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had to force cool down mine. If it's hot (I'm not sure what that temp is) the fans come on automatically and shut off automatically.

I use the kill switch to shut the motor off and don't turn the ignition off until the fans stop running (if they come on at all). I have not had any issues at all.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:11 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkBait13
I have never had to force cool down mine. If it's hot (I'm not sure what that temp is) the fans come on automatically and shut off automatically.

I use the kill switch to shut the motor off and don't turn the ignition off until the fans stop running (if they come on at all). I have not had any issues at all.
I don't know why they didn't put a small recovery tank on just for this purpose. The way you do it is simple. But you can also activate the pump if you feel it needs to do more.

Quick Reply: Any `14 Triglides Puking Coolant?