Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Ride Report - Fall Colors Trip 2014 - Pic Heavy

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:27 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts
Default Ride Report - Fall Colors Trip 2014 - Pic Heavy

This is the first long trip on the 2014 Tri-Glide, so as we progress, I will give any new impressions of the 2014 vs. the 2011...something I already covered a bit in this thread-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...fferences.html

Various circumstances conspired to prevent Mary and I from making our summer trip out west to visit the grand-baby, relatives, and the good roads out that way.

Since neither of us have ever seen the northeast on bike, nor the changing of the colors, we have been planning a "Fall Colors" trip for awhile.

Today is the day!

Was up late last night taking care of last minute biz details. Got a late start packing this morning.

Here's what I need to fit into the trunk and the Tour-Pak.

We're not going to be gone nearly as long as the Alaska trip, but it seems like we're taking just as much, or more, stuff.

It all fit the first try. We use different size stuff sacks, and label them, for a couple of reasons.

-Loading the larger ones first, then allows us to load the smaller ones and fill in all the empty space.

-We only take the ones out of the trunk each evening that we know we will need that night, leaving the rest in the trunk...stuff like the rain suits, cold weather gear, etc.

Around 2:30 pm we're ready to take off. Everything's packed, Mary and I are ready, just changed the oil a couple of days ago. 38 psi in the front tires, 20 psi in the rear tires, 24 psi in the Comfort Lift mounted rear shocks. We're ready to roll!

This afternoon was all interstate, never even broke out the camera for a picture until just outside of Nashville when we took rode about 10 miles on a country road to the Super 8.

Passed a Bike Night, Mary snapped a pic-

I will try and keep this thread updated everyday as we roll. I expect we will be traveling 5-6k miles before getting back home.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-26-2014, 12:44 AM
ELVISTO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a great Holiday

Old 09-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Have a great trip. I'll be following your progress religiously. Umm, you coulda left the carton of cigs at home, LOL.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

We will follow your trip also, we did the Northeast a couple years back, summertime, and in the Mustang Convertible...it was. Very nice trip..keep us updated and be safe....

Old 09-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Man oh man, I envy ya Mary and Kevin! We were out there a couple years back visiting our son in Connecticut and were "lucky" enough to be there when Hurricane Sandy hit. Luckily Ct was not hit as hard as NY or NJ but still would have been nice to miss us altogether lol. BTW..Boston was just amazing to see!

Beautiful country out there! Please take all the pics and vids as you can get so we can see the colors in all their glory

Rax

Old 09-26-2014, 03:25 PM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Ride safe and we will follow your trip.
If you come back the same way throughout Nashville, PM me and I will gladly buy lunch/dinner for you and Mary at Brewhouse West. Good food with a cajan flair.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by ELVISTO
Have a great Holiday
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Tryker Dude
Have a great trip. I'll be following your progress religiously. Umm, you coulda left the carton of cigs at home, LOL.
Yeah, but then I would have to pay crazy high prices up in the Northeast!

Originally Posted by Casper
We will follow your trip also, we did the Northeast a couple years back, summertime, and in the Mustang Convertible...it was. Very nice trip..keep us updated and be safe....
Thank you! Will do.

Originally Posted by Raxus
Man oh man, I envy ya Mary and Kevin! We were out there a couple years back visiting our son in Connecticut and were "lucky" enough to be there when Hurricane Sandy hit. Luckily Ct was not hit as hard as NY or NJ but still would have been nice to miss us altogether lol. BTW..Boston was just amazing to see!

Beautiful country out there! Please take all the pics and vids as you can get so we can see the colors in all their glory

Rax
We'll be taking lots of pics & vids!!!

Was sorta planning on avoiding the big cities...except for D.C., anything in Boston in particular to visit? Neither of us have ever been there.

Originally Posted by MCHOGG
Ride safe and we will follow your trip.
If you come back the same way throughout Nashville, PM me and I will gladly buy lunch/dinner for you and Mary at Brewhouse West. Good food with a cajan flair.
Thank you, we may do that, not sure what route we'll be taking back, but if it is thru Nashville I'll PM you.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:16 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

It's great to be on the road with no specific route, just following the front wheel in a general north-easterly direction.

We are taking mostly interstate until we hit PA, which should be tomorrow.

Left out of Tennessee this morning...here we are packed up and ready...well, Mary does need more coffee.

After hitting Kentucky, we started making some good time...when you want to eat some miles up, KY is a good State. We were rolling 80-85 mph just to stay with the flow of the little traffic there was.

Some fellow travelers....

....we've had a few glitches with the camera yesterday and today. Had it on the wrong setting for a bunch of pics...that is why the pic above is grainy. Then the cable I brought went bad, so tomorrow we'll be stopping at a Best Buy to get another one.

Overall it has served us well, we've taken over 20,000 pictures with it the last 2.5 years. Fuji JX500

Rolling thru Kentucky...

Those of you that have looked at our other ride reports know that Mary likes cloud pics....

....and this trip she's chomping at the bit to get some trees turning. Here's a bit of color.

And the shadow pics!

Yesterday, today and tomorrow have/will be interstate mostly. Then the rest of the trip until the last day or so will be mostly secondary roads. Rolling hills and long sweepers in Kentucky, along with a seemingly lax enforcement of the speed limit make the interstate a nice ride!

This afternoon we crossed into West Virginia. Holed up in a Super 8 with about 30 other bikes...there's a MC here (no pics).

Last edited by DK Custom; 09-26-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Smt_tom
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice

Old 09-27-2014, 11:17 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

oh boy oh boy! Love these threads! You guys need to head up into Maine, my old stomping grounds. Fall foliage hardly gets any better!

Ride safe and can't wait for more goodies.

Quick Reply: Ride Report - Fall Colors Trip 2014 - Pic Heavy