Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Slip on Mufflers for Tri Glide Trike

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 AM
03 Softail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip on Mufflers for Tri Glide Trike

What would be a good slip on muffler for the tri glide 2010.
looking for something with a little bit of a bark.
the stock mufflers just don't handle it.
also do you have to remap if you just change the mufflers?
thanks for your input.
Dan

Old 06-30-2010, 06:54 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put on Bassani slip ons $299 installed and like themnice look good chrome and sound as good as my Rhino tru duals to my old ears.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:31 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default DeCat

Originally Posted by 03 Softail
thanks for your input.
Dan

I will assume you have already dumped the cat! Slipons will sound better catless. Muffler's only, NO! Muffler's & Stage I AC, Yes!

Really the 2010 tri is running such a lean AFR it should be Tuned, remapped even in stock form!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 Softail
thanks for your input.
Dan
Dan, a really good way to see what mufflers you may want is to visit a neighborhood bar "bike night" or rally somewhere close to home. Guys love to talk about their bikes. When you find a sound pleasing to your taste ask the owner what he has. He will give you a chance to listen to them. To take someone's word that "my pipes are great" could help but you may be looking for a different sound and I'm sure you would like to buy only one set and be satisfied the first time.

There has been chatter of finding the right muffler that will not scrape the ground when going up a ramp or picking up the front end for various reasons.

About the remap... you need to purchase a tuner for a TG regardless if stock or totally rebuilt. The immediate replacement of your mufflers will make no difference at this point. Tuners would consist of, and not necessarily in this order...

SEST
TTS
PCV
PCV w/auto
TMax
XiED's

I'm sure the "TG owners" will fill you in.

Cheers

-wiz

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 06-30-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:56 AM
ptoemmes
Advanced

Rather than resurrect one of the true dual threads I'll ask here something that came up - so far unanswered - in another TD thread.

How "balanced" are the exhaust pulses with the stock head pipe and with whatever non TD replacement (like the FuelMoto or FulSac head pipe) you might have?

I am somewhat embarrassed to say I have not actually listened to a 2009+ touring bike but do recall that pre 2009 the stock exhaust flow/pulse was biased to the right side pipe.

I guess one of the reasons people do TDs is to get a more balanced flow and sound.

Thanks,

Pete

Old 06-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by ptoemmes
Rather than resurrect one of the true dual threads I'll ask here something that came up - so far unanswered - in another TD thread.

How "balanced" are the exhaust pulses with the stock head pipe and with whatever non TD replacement (like the FuelMoto or FulSac head pipe) you might have?

I am somewhat embarrassed to say I have not actually listened to a 2009+ touring bike but do recall that pre 2009 the stock exhaust flow/pulse was biased to the right side pipe.

I guess one of the reasons people do TDs is to get a more balanced flow and sound.

Thanks,

Pete
Pete, people go to TD's for many reasons. Sometimes for the wrong reasons. Unless you have a modified motor you will loose bottom end torque or pulling power at lower RPM's. Some like the sound but get worse performance in return.

As far as the non-duals I can tell you that Jackpot and Fullsac are designed to simulate a 2 to 1 header. The right side will push about 80% and 20% on the left. This will increase the lower range torque simply by bolting them on.

The stock 09-10 touring pipe is built very similar... unfortunately the collector design on the stock pipe sucks a big one and of course the '10 has the cat in the collector. They are considered to be similar to the 2-1 header design but... well, you still have that stock collector that robs TQ.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Dyno Chart

The Fuel Motto dyno chart for the ultra headpipe reinforces what the Wizard just said. The tri is just the ultra with the extensions! You will see a noticable gain in HP and low end torque. I have never seen the Fullsac dyno chart but would bet they are nearly the same. I believe either would be a better choice for a stock Tri than TD's.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:54 AM
03 Softail
Cruiser

thanks for all the replies,
DeCat in your post you said to dump the cat,
how would you do that and does that make any difference in the preformance of
the bike.
thanks
dan

Old 06-30-2010, 10:59 AM
ptoemmes
Advanced

Thanks Wiz and Coupe. I seem to recall reading somehere - probably here - that the left side Jackpot slip on has a slightly smaller diameter (not sure which part though) which - I assume - is consistent with the 2-into-1 simulated design goal.

Apples to Oranges but typically in automotive V8 exhausts - if I recall correctly?! - a crossover (H pipe or more preferable X pipe) is used to balance exhaust and perhaps help scavenging. I could be misremembering though and like I said - apples to oranges to a V twin.

Pete

Old 06-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Quick ?
I have a 2010 UC exhaust system I was going to "decat" and install on the 2010 Road Glide, will this fit the 2010 TG? Can I still decat and run this on the new trike?

Quick Reply: Slip on Mufflers for Tri Glide Trike