Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Feedback from Tri Glide owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Old....all of us "mature" fathers think the same thing. I will admit that I think I am much more attractive than my son and I am sure you are correct in that assumption too. However....your snotty-nose kid DID KEEP his 06, so we have to give him credit for that.

Yes....the hydraulic tensioner kit works wonders for the early TC's. I had to be talked into it before I actually did it and am very glad that I did. The SE kit can be had off e-bay for around $360 and includes the larger oil pump. My oil pressure never falls below 18-20 at idle, much of the noise has disappeared and if need be, the tensioner shoes can be changed with simple hand tools. I may eventually get some shoe-flakes in my oil filter, but they will no longer be orange.

I just ripped-out a 6-speed and installed the 5-speed back in mine. Put a 34-tooth output pulley on the trike and she just hums right along at 75 around 3100. These motors were built to cruise at 3100 rpm. From the factory, the 2-wheelers ran 3100 at 70 with the stock 5-speed. If some of these folks put the pencil to it (and some have) they would learn they are not saving much fuel if any running down the road at 2500 RPM in 6th. gear lugging their motor. The alternator doesn't even get into high gear until you get on past 2500. I know they have changed the gearing on the newer models, but those with the early 6-speed bikes consider 6th. as useless.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:22 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
These motors were built to cruise at 3100 rpm. From the factory, the 2-wheelers ran 3100 at 70 with the stock 5-speed. If some of these folks put the pencil to it (and some have) they would learn they are not saving much fuel if any running down the road at 2500 RPM in 6th. gear lugging their motor. The alternator doesn't even get into high gear until you get on past 2500. I know they have changed the gearing on the newer models, but those with the early 6-speed bikes consider 6th. as useless.
You hit the nail right on the head. Stooging along in 6th gear at 2,500 rpm isn't saving a lick of gas, its costing gas mileage. It will take more throttle opening to maintain 2,500 rpm in 6th gear than it would be to drop it down a gear and run closer to 3,000 rpm. Most of the time I don't catch 6th gear until I'm going a minimum of 70 mph and then that is on relatively flat terrain.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:35 AM
ErieBigDawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion Warranty...

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
If you put a trike conversion on a GW or any other brand of motorcycle it will void the warranty.
I sent Honda of Russellville, Arkansas the following question concerning item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

To: hondarus2tzj
Subject: 7479dave has sent a question about item #270627758065, ending on Sep-17-10 19:22:35 PDT - Honda : Gold Wing
Sent Date: Sep-04-10 11:49:16 PDT

Dear hondarus2tzj,

When someone purchases a Gold Wing trike from your dealership, is the warranty on the Gold Wing motorcycle voided, due to trike kit being added?

- 7479dave

HERE IS THE ANSWER I REC'D.:

Dear 7479dave,

Not at all. You will have two separate warranties. One for the Gold Wing and one for the Trike Kit.

- hondarus2tzj

Old 09-06-2010, 09:48 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Different Machine

It was around 76 in the morning and never got above 86 yesterday here and I rode a little over 4 hours both highway and slow speed riding. The Tri was a different animal in moderate temperatures, ran good all day and never got over 200-210 F. It even ran better in 6th gear and handles most moderate inclines well, had to go to 5th a few times for fairly steep hills. Knocked around in a state park at low speed and never had to hit the oil cooler or parade fan. I believe if I had that 11 primary pulley I could actually live with this thing. Riding two up it stumbled a little pulling out on inclines a couple of times. I was really off on fuel, I used 6th gear more than I ever have and it drank the gas.

I am going to do just the headpipe this winter and the gear before doing the cams, finally have a Trike I can get some service out of. Spring, late summer and fall this thing comes into it's own. With the wrapped pipes it was very comfortable, no heat issue at all.

Last edited by coupe55; 09-06-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:58 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ErieBigDawg
I sent Honda of Russellville, Arkansas the following question concerning item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

To: hondarus2tzj
Subject: 7479dave has sent a question about item #270627758065, ending on Sep-17-10 19:22:35 PDT - Honda : Gold Wing
Sent Date: Sep-04-10 11:49:16 PDT

Dear hondarus2tzj,

When someone purchases a Gold Wing trike from your dealership, is the warranty on the Gold Wing motorcycle voided, due to trike kit being added?

- 7479dave

HERE IS THE ANSWER I REC'D.:

Dear 7479dave,

Not at all. You will have two separate warranties. One for the Gold Wing and one for the Trike Kit.

- hondarus2tzj
That's very interesting. I don't think a person can get a straigt answer any where. It would be interesting to know if the warranty would be good at all dealerships or only at the dealership that installed the kit.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:18 PM
2Sore
Road Master

For your information..at Russelville Honda, unless they changed their policy, will only honor the warranty if it's approved by the area rep. Any repair under 500 bucks doesn't need a rep approval.
If you blow a transmission, as some have done, they will "work with you" whatever that means. I couldn't get him to commit to a repair under warranty.
So I assume that you'll get stuck with the labor and they'll pick up the parts.
Needless to say I walked out. They will tell you anything to move a unit.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:47 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Sore
For your information..at Russelville Honda, unless they changed their policy, will only honor the warranty if it's approved by the area rep. Any repair under 500 bucks doesn't need a rep approval.
If you blow a transmission, as some have done, they will "work with you" whatever that means. I couldn't get him to commit to a repair under warranty.
So I assume that you'll get stuck with the labor and they'll pick up the parts.
Needless to say I walked out. They will tell you anything to move a unit.
This is pretty much what I gathered when I was researching my decision on whether to trike a wing or buy the Triglide. This is not something I normally do but here is some interesting reading on GW transmission issues and if anyone wants to dig long enough I believe this is the thread I come across with the guy who's trike was not covered.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...e+transmission

Here is another thread
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...t=transmission

Found another where a transmission repair was paid out of pocket because Mother Honda said no. Dig enough and there are plenty more.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...t=transmission

Old 09-07-2010, 04:21 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

After 850 miles I have to say I am real happy with it so far. I did adjust the clutch
at 500 miles and put Syn 75 90 in the tranny. My wife says it runs better and cooler
than her 09 heritage.Not sure on that one,Over the winter I wil add TTS, Stage one
and pipes.Thats pretty much the normal with the 96 motors after 2007. Just some feed back.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:19 PM
ErieBigDawg
Advanced
Default ANOTHER Hoda Dealership Reply...

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
That's very interesting. I don't think a person can get a straigt answer any where. It would be interesting to know if the warranty would be good at all dealerships or only at the dealership that installed the kit.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Here is another email question to a different Honda dealer that sells GW Trikes.

Dear shawneehonda,

What happens with the warranty on the Gold Wing, since there is a trike conversion? Is the warranty on the GW voided?

Will other Honda dealerships honor the warranty on the GW. I live in Erie, Pa., a great distance from your store.

I am extremely concerned about the warranty, etc. If the tranny went during the warranty period...would it be covered under the warranty(parts & labor)?

Dave Martin
7479Dave

Dear 7479dave,

Hello Dave, thank you for you interest in the Goldwing trike. The trike kit does not void the warranty on the Goldwing, however Honda does not cover the trike kit. The factory warranty would cover the stuff from the trike kit up. Now the Trike kit itself also has a three year warranty. Other Honda dealers should honor the warranty on the Goldwing. We do offer an extended warranty that does cover the bike and you can take it anywhere you would like to get it worked on if anything were to happen. If you would like to call or I can call you we can discuss it more. You can reach me at 405-273-1400 ext. 126 Dawn

- shawneehonda

To: shawneehonda
Subject: 7479dave has sent a question about item #150481965182, ending on Sep-08-10 10:27:50 PDT - Honda : Gold Wing
Sent Date: Sep-06-10 12:54:55 PDT

Old 09-07-2010, 02:11 PM
mvengineer
Advanced

Reading this thread, I am concluding the 2010 triglides are the model year with the heat and performance issues pointed out. Four months ago I purchased a new 2009 triglide. Thus far I put 2700 miles and have not observed or sensed extreme, unbearable heat as being described. may be a little discomfort when it was 95 degrees a couple of weeks ago. It accelerates very nicley and I don't have a problem in keeping up with others at all. Am I to understand the 2009 did not have the CAT that seems to be the culpert here? Can the issue be fixed for the 2010 ?. I still think this is a superior touring bike.

Last edited by mvengineer; 09-07-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Feedback from Tri Glide owners