Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Feedback from Tri Glide owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lady seeking clear guidance re: Potential Trike Purchase

Hi, I think I posted in wrong thread. So, I removed and posted under new thread. Thank you for the replies below.

As I am the decision maker, all responsibility is on me and I have nobody to ask. I am very happy to have found this site, and this thread. I have read everybody's questions and replies.

I am grateful. Very grateful for your writings.

Please review my thread regarding the above subject title.

warm regards,

Purple_Daze

Last edited by Purple_Daze; 02-08-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: want to post as new thread instead
Old 02-08-2011, 04:41 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome. Post often. Next post try to make smaller paragraphs as one long one is very hard to read. Yes, a trike would be a good idea for you and your daughter to make lasting memories.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello and welcome.
A trike sounds like it would work for you. The MPG should be around 35 +/-, my wife gets a pretty steady 34-35mpg overall but at times ranges from 29 to 40.
Insurance can vary greatly so you would have to do comparison shoping, sorry cant be more help there.
As far as a side car, i have one on a '07 Road King and after getting it zeroed in it is a pleasure to ride but in all honesty i think the triglide is way safer and more comfortable for passengers and a lot better handeling.
With a few heat mods, as you found out with '09, it a wonderful machine.
Read our post but dont get discouraged about our "complaining". We all really like the TG and will help with any "advice" you need.
I guess another option would be to trike out your soft tail, final cost may be about the same tho.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:07 AM
ssw
Cruiser

I just moved from an 09 Ultra Classic to a 2011 TG and could not be happier. It's a beautiful bike, gets a lot of attention, is easy and comfortable to ride (sans heat) and the wife loves the added confidence in safety and in my keeping the rubber side down at all times. I think there is some validity to the anacronym "Threedom". Come on over to the trike side.

Ever noticed how many Trike ads there are in the major bike magazines? I counted 6 full page and two half page ads in a recent AIM. There must be a growing audience for these machines. I am one of them and glad of it.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Baby Boomers

Originally Posted by ssw
I just moved from an 09 Ultra Classic to a 2011 TG and could not be happier. It's a beautiful bike, gets a lot of attention, is easy and comfortable to ride (sans heat) and the wife loves the added confidence in safety and in my keeping the rubber side down at all times. I think there is some validity to the anacronym "Threedom". Come on over to the trike side.

Ever noticed how many Trike ads there are in the major bike magazines? I counted 6 full page and two half page ads in a recent AIM. There must be a growing audience for these machines. I am one of them and glad of it.
Yep! all the boomers trying to get their arthritic frames on something they can stay on for more than one hour at a time! HD also looked around at where the discretionary cash is, the same people that has floated them for the last 20 years. I quess they thought there may be another Harley in our budget if they could build one for the geriatric generation!

Although I hate to hear the term Harley Hoveround, I don't care what they call it about two hours into a ride and not having to work out a leg cramp!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 PM
10Glider
Novice

I seem to be in a minority, at least on this thread, but I can honestly say that the more I ride my 2010 TG, the more I like it and the better I feel about the purchase. My trunk seal doesn't leak, in fact it has no fluid leaks anywhere, rides comfortably, and that is saying something considering I have two lumbar discs that are nearly blown-out, plus a more serious medical condition that makes me very sore and tired. Heat on the right side, yes, but not unbearable to me. I just upgraded to a new set of V&H "Deluxe Touring" slip-ons, specially made for the TriGlides, that feature an up-swept tail section, made from SS, that ends in an oval. The old V&H ovals that fit the T/G have been discontinued. The maker claims they give better performance as well as more ground clearance, something important to me, since the stock muffler scraped when I backed down my driveway into the garage. Also had the A/C upgraded to the SE Ventilator unit, which uses a real K&N washable filter element, and offers less restriction than the stock or the Stage 1 unit. Finally, had the EMC flashed with the new firmware matching the bike with the new parts. Wow! what a change in sound, looks and performance. Very noticeable and appreciated. I fell into a deal, free labor during Feb, plus 10% off the parts, so I couldn't pass it up. Had a blast riding the 50 miles home from the dealer. Oh yeah, some folks bitch about low gas mileage. I've been monitoring mine since day one, Oct 2010, and the overall average is 34. Before buying I was hesitant at first, having never ridden quads, etc. and it is definitely different on a trike than a two-wheeler. But I can still ride a Harley with my friends, after having to give up 2-wheeled riding. My complaints-very expensive, and charging $1200 for reverse was an outright rip-off. I see it is now included a a standard item. Rear brakes could be stronger, Neutral is still tricky to find, but that is slowly improving with wear-in. Dropping it into 1st when it's cold produces a loud "clunk" and jerk that you'd swear must have broken something. So it's not that I think it's perfect. I'm still glad I bought it and enjoy it more every time I ride it.

Last edited by 10Glider; 02-09-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

10Glider, I dont think you are in the minority here, we all actually like our TG's, we just dont like the answers (if you can call them that) and treatment we get from the MoCo proper and some dealers.
Your MPG is right in line with the avarage so its good.
The trunk seal was upgraged for '10 MY and we have had no leaks either.
The reverse is a disappointment, i cant back into a trailer without it kicking out, for the money if i had known i would have left it off our '10 TG and installed a Champion reverse as i have in two of my other bikes.
I cant recall if you mentioned that you had installed a set of head pipes yet, if not just think how much more happy you could be with the pipes and maybe a set of cams.
My wife is extreamly happy with her TG now.

Last edited by icebite1; 02-11-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:50 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 10Glider
I seem to be in a minority, at least on this thread, but I can honestly say that the more I ride my 2010 TG, the more I like it and the better I feel about the purchase. My trunk seal doesn't leak, in fact it has no fluid leaks anywhere, rides comfortably, and that is saying something considering I have two lumbar discs that are nearly blown-out, plus a more serious medical condition that makes me very sore and tired. Heat on the right side, yes, but not unbearable to me. I just upgraded to a new set of V&H "Deluxe Touring" slip-ons, specially made for the TriGlides, that feature an up-swept tail section, made from SS, that ends in an oval. The old V&H ovals that fit the T/G have been discontinued. The maker claims they give better performance as well as more ground clearance, something important to me, since the stock muffler scraped when I backed down my driveway into the garage. Also had the A/C upgraded to the SE Ventilator unit, which uses a real K&N washable filter element, and offers less restriction than the stock or the Stage 1 unit. Finally, had the EMC flashed with the new firmware matching the bike with the new parts. Wow! what a change in sound, looks and performance. Very noticeable and appreciated. I fell into a deal, free labor during Feb, plus 10% off the parts, so I couldn't pass it up. Had a blast riding the 50 miles home from the dealer. Oh yeah, some folks bitch about low gas mileage. I've been monitoring mine since day one, Oct 2010, and the overall average is 34. Before buying I was hesitant at first, having never ridden quads, etc. and it is definitely different on a trike than a two-wheeler. But I can still ride a Harley with my friends, after having to give up 2-wheeled riding. My complaints-very expensive, and charging $1200 for reverse was an outright rip-off. I see it is now included a a standard item. Rear brakes could be stronger, Neutral is still tricky to find, but that is slowly improving with wear-in. Dropping it into 1st when it's cold produces a loud "clunk" and jerk that you'd swear must have broken something. So it's not that I think it's perfect. I'm still glad I bought it and enjoy it more every time I ride it.
34mpg is about in line with what everyone else is averaging. The only reason that they are “bitching” is because that is far below what Haley advertises as an average MPG.

Ride your TG in July and August and see if the right side heat is still tolerable? I’m NOW happy with my TG but I had to spend 3k to do what Harley should have done out of the box!

Jim

Old 02-23-2011, 04:24 PM
SandyH.
Novice

I have a 2011 Tri-Glide and I think the changes over the 09 and 10 have made a big difference. It has the 103 engine which sme keep up with my husband on his 2011 110 CVO RG just fine, even on the freeways. The six speed tranny is a big help and plus also. I've ridden in 90* heat and so far haven't felt any more heat issues than I did with my 103 CVO Fatboy that I use to own or my 2003 Road King Classic. So to me this is a great trike, having no problems at all with it.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:34 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats and Welcome The 09 and 10 TG also have the 103. The 10 and 11 have a cat in the head pipe. The 11 has a 30 tooth sprocket. Which will give it more pulling power.

Quick Reply: Feedback from Tri Glide owners