Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Warning about Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Dogdaz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning about Lifts

I just wanted to warn everyone about over loading your lift. Maybe I am the only stupid one on the forum but here goes anyway. Today I put my Triglide on my standard Handy lift (1000 lb.) I have the table double plated with diamond plate aluminum for extra strength, as I have done many times before. I have side extensions for my ATV so the trike will fit. If it will fit it must be ok and work, NOT. This time the table bent in the midle and the trike almost fell of the right side. I was able to hold the trike on and let the lift down without any further accident but it was just luck I caught it. It almost fell on me, I am a fair sized guy and was able to struggle through this but only by the grace of God. So when looking for a lift get a heavy duty one or thinking of using your existing motorcycle lift for your trike DON'T. You are risking your equipment and more important your life. These suckers are heavy. I know you are saying this guy is crazy and you might be correct or at least partly correct but I admit this stupidity in hopes it might save some other fool (like me) from making the same mistake. Thanks, Jerry

Last edited by Dogdaz; 02-03-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Glad you and your baby are OK....scary I bet!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:01 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Certainly glad you are OK. You are correct, folks think if the lift can lift the weight it is OK to use it and it is not. I hope other folks read this thread and learn from it. We certainly don't want to hear of anyone getting hurt.

Like you M3 and I had a lift for our Ultras which was rated at 1,000 lbs and we toyed with the idea of adding side extensions to be able to lift the trike but we didn't. We purchased a Handylift and let me tell you it is one heavy duty built lift. It is rated at 1,500 lbs.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 02-04-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Glad you got it back on the floor without incident. I've been very impressed with the 1,500 pound Handy my dad picked up, I've rocked the trike while in the air to the point it set the alarm siren off and it was solid as a rock.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:11 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogdaz
I just wanted to warn everyone about over loading your lift. Maybe I am the only stupid one on the forum but here goes anyway. Today I put my Triglide on my standard Handy lift (1000 lb.) I have the table double plated with diamond plate aluminum for extra strength, as I have done many times before. I have side extensions for my ATV so the trike will fit. If it will fit it must be ok and work, NOT. This time the table bent in the midle and the trike almost fell of the right side. I was able to hold the trike on and let the lift down without any further accident but it was just luck I caught it. It almost fell on me, I am a fair sized guy and was able to struggle through this but only by the grace of God. So when looking for a lift get a heavy duty one or thinking of using your existing motorcycle lift for your trike DON'T. You are risking your equipment and more important your life. These suckers are heavy. I know you are saying this guy is crazy and you might be correct or at least partly correct but I admit this stupidity in hopes it might save some other fool (like me) from making the same mistake. Thanks, Jerry
A good rule of thumb is to have at least a 40% fudge factor when using a scale, jack, pulley, lift, etc. In other words, if the item that you are weighing or lifting weights 1,000 lbs., than your device should be rated for at least 1,400 lbs.

The same principle applies to towing. Many people think that if it will hook up to their vehicle, than it must be alright to tow.

Jim

Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 456 Likes on 281 Posts

^
^
^
Words to live by! And I do mean live>

Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 AM
pcmikey
Advanced

Before they had finite element modeling, mechanical engineers would use factors of two or more for safety. I'm old school. I added a cedar beam den to my house in 1987 (24' old-growth 4x12 beams) and spaced them for snow loading codes. I live in Panama City Florida. If you pull its teeth, it can't bite you in the a--.

Mike

Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 AM
ON-3
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the standard Handy lift that I modified to accept the trike. I had breakfast with a friend Tues. and he mentioned that he would like to have a lift like mine. I got to thinking about your post and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Took the old lift to him Tues. evening and picked up a new 1500# Handy lift with the trike adapter on Wed. Like Mike said, that's one sturdy lift.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Dogdaz
Cruiser
Default Lifts

SMART MOVE, I did the same thing. The BOB is not only heavier built but better designed. The safety latch on the original handy lift was a bad design and what caused my accident beyond my stupidity of over loading it. If anyone puts a trike on a regular Handy lift DO NOT use the safety latch, sounds strange but trust me the safety latch will cause the table to buckle in the middle and the trike will be on you or the floor instantly. It is mounted in two tiny alluminum blocks that will break easily causing a bad jolt that breaks the table in the middle, and it happens real quick. I put this post here to help people but few have looked at it. Thanks for the reply and glade you did the right thing. It cost you a little up front but saved bundle in the end, maybe your life. Thanks, Jerry

Old 06-11-2011, 12:23 PM
DiselDevilDog
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sicssor Jacks

Looking for a scissor type jack for my 09 Triglide. Just to raise it up a bit and after raising, I will secure with Jack Stands. Don't have a lot of cash! Any info would be appreciated. Saw an ad for Big Red by Torin and it has many negitive reviews, so I'll pass on that one.

thanks,
diesel

Quick Reply: Warning about Lifts