Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Lovin the new Tri-Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 02:15 PM
daurwid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/31/14: 15K Service, Swapped back to stock headers (sans cat) and mufflers, new front brake pads, new front tire (I rode almost 2000 miles w/o center tread holy crapola) and the 100th parking brake adjustment (grrr don't get me started). Nothing like pictures after a good wash too.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:46 PM
azbob09
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How do you fasten that water bottle at the bottom without it either moving around or maring the paint? I have one off my old limited that I traded for the TG & wanted to use it & the little compartment was handy, but couldn't find a place for it. I like were you have it & it looks like it's secure around the passenger grab bar.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 PM
daurwid
Tourer

Originally Posted by azbob09
How do you fasten that water bottle at the bottom without it either moving around or maring the paint? I have one off my old limited that I traded for the TG & wanted to use it & the little compartment was handy, but couldn't find a place for it. I like were you have it & it looks like it's secure around the passenger grab bar.
I have the Tri-Glide transparent paint protection kit from HD. The bags are snapped onto the passenger grab rails and I've zip tied and tucked under the bottom so very little touches that area. At some point the protection (clear 3m style cover) will need to be replaced. They are rubbing the bike. But I honestly am not bothered by it. I can just purchase the saddlebags for trikes to cover that area later on in life if I mess up the paint.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:53 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a great looking trike! That big ole boxy thing on your left handlebar? Is that some kinda GPS? Blue pin stripes, are they factory?

I was looking at an in stock 14 TriGlide in Vivid Black at the local dealer yesterday. They had put chrome wheels, chrome front fork lowers, etc. Now I have done these things on plenty of my earlier Harleys but on the Black Trike it just seemed too much. The wheels looked nice (I'll post a picture) but I really like the polished aluminum with the black on the stock wheels. I haven't had an issue with water stains up to this point but being in the car business I have access to all kinds of vendors if need be.

Attached Thumbnails Lovin the new Tri-Glide-photo.jpg  

Last edited by TwinCooled; 02-01-2014 at 12:16 AM. Reason: attach pic
Old 02-01-2014, 09:15 AM
daurwid
Tourer

Originally Posted by TwinCooled
That's a great looking trike! That big ole boxy thing on your left handlebar? Is that some kinda GPS? Blue pin stripes, are they factory?
The box is a box. It comes empty. It was made by RAM Mount. I put my MP3 player, GPS or phone in it. It is waterproof and lockable. Really inexpensive.

The pin striping is not factory. The factory only did silver pinstripes. I had Ed Webster do the inner blue stripe between all the silver strips and paint the tank badges blue instead of red. It apparently follows a similar pinstripe on police motorcycles from HD. I like the difference.

I was looking at an in stock 14 TriGlide in Vivid Black at the local dealer yesterday. They had put chrome wheels, chrome front fork lowers, etc. Now I have done these things on plenty of my earlier Harleys but on the Black Trike it just seemed too much. The wheels looked nice (I'll post a picture) but I really like the polished aluminum with the black on the stock wheels. I haven't had an issue with water stains up to this point but being in the car business I have access to all kinds of vendors if need be.
I have seen a few trikes with chrome wheels and chrome front ends. They look great but its just not for me. That just means more cleaning instead of riding for me. I ride too much to spend a ton of time on cleaning chrome. That's why I swapped all my covers for non chrome that and I missed the colors on my dyna.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:16 PM
daurwid
Tourer

4/14/14: Found oil on the garage floor... say what? Took it into the shop. Tech found the oil pan bolts had come loose. Retorqued bolts and a good wash no more drip drops on the garage floor.

5-28-14: Had a few things put on early for my birthday. Had the Gerbing heated power ports mounted on my fairing for those cold winter rides I seem to always be on. Got the upgraded voltage regulator because I got tired of seeing all my lights dim when I came to a stop. Here's a shot of the regulator - it's huge compared to stock!

6-16-14: Almost to 20K Service. Here's some pretty shots:

8-10-14: Drove tri-glide from VA to SC for my grandmother's Funeral then turn around 8-11-14 for the return, just under 1000 miles within 48 hours. I invested in a full face modular helmet and put the communication headset that came with the Tri on it. I had never used this before, but am I glad I did. Almost half my trip was through pouring down rain. The return trip was easier and cheaper because I was able to draft two 18 wheelers up I-81 for almost 200 miles. Ended up getting an extra 50 miles on that tank of gas! Bonus too was that I was not getting pelted by the rain nearly as much while in the trucks draft. Total cost for the trip (without staying at a hotel) was just about $110, gas and food included and still had 3/4 tank when I pulled in the garage. Now sitting near 21K miles on the trike. Still a happy camper.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:42 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Condolences on losing your Grandmother.

Great looking trike, I'm glad you are still enjoying it!

Old 08-16-2014, 08:28 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by daurwid
4/14/14: Found oil on the garage floor... say what? Took it into the shop. Tech found the oil pan bolts had come loose. Retorqued bolts and a good wash no more drip drops on the garage floor.

5-28-14: Had a few things put on early for my birthday. Had the Gerbing heated power ports mounted on my fairing for those cold winter rides I seem to always be on. Got the upgraded voltage regulator because I got tired of seeing all my lights dim when I came to a stop. Here's a shot of the regulator - it's huge compared to stock!

6-16-14: Almost to 20K Service. Here's some pretty shots:

8-10-14: Drove tri-glide from VA to SC for my grandmother's Funeral then turn around 8-11-14 for the return, just under 1000 miles within 48 hours. I invested in a full face modular helmet and put the communication headset that came with the Tri on it. I had never used this before, but am I glad I did. Almost half my trip was through pouring down rain. The return trip was easier and cheaper because I was able to draft two 18 wheelers up I-81 for almost 200 miles. Ended up getting an extra 50 miles on that tank of gas! Bonus too was that I was not getting pelted by the rain nearly as much while in the trucks draft. Total cost for the trip (without staying at a hotel) was just about $110, gas and food included and still had 3/4 tank when I pulled in the garage. Now sitting near 21K miles on the trike. Still a happy camper.
The oil leak you had was probably from the transmission. Wife had the same problem with her 2012. Seems it's common for the two bolts that hold the header clamp to the trans. to come loose. I now make it a habit to re-torque these two bolts as well as the rear wheel lugs when I do a 5,000 service.

Please be careful while drafting semis. Those retread trailer tires have a habit of coming apart, and when the alligators start flying things can get scary real fast. Ask me how I know.

Bill

Old 08-29-2014, 01:48 PM
daurwid
Tourer

Originally Posted by TwinCooled
Condolences on losing your Grandmother.
Great looking trike, I'm glad you are still enjoying it!
Thank you.

Originally Posted by billnourse
The oil leak you had was probably from the transmission. Wife had the same problem with her 2012. Seems it's common for the two bolts that hold the header clamp to the trans. to come loose. I now make it a habit to re-torque these two bolts as well as the rear wheel lugs when I do a 5,000 service.

Please be careful while drafting semis. Those retread trailer tires have a habit of coming apart, and when the alligators start flying things can get scary real fast. Ask me how I know.

Bill
The oil leak was from the oil pan cover bolts coming loose. I'm guessing through all the miles they worked themselves loose. I'll take note of the two bolts you mentioned and check them as soon as I can.

I try to be very careful drafting semis. That's what my CB is for to stay in communication with them and let them know I'm back there. Just gotta be smart about it.