Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

jagg oil cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts
Default jagg oil cooler install

I have a list of things to do to my 2012 triglide during the upcoming long dreary San Diego winter. I have stage 1 plus cams, and found with the added compression from the SE255 cams the stage 1 advantage was nulled. So, I am now going to more directly address cooling. One upgrade i am considering is the horizontal Jagg oil cooler with fans.

So, to those that have done this upgrade on later model tris with the factory installed OEM oil cooler:
- did the Jagg 10 row with fans appreciably reduce oil temperature?
- the Jagg web site indicates you need to replace the oil filter adapter...do you really need to do this when replacing the OEM cooler?

Hoping for cooler times,
Jeff

Old 10-09-2013, 09:26 PM
tmigala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason the replace the adapter is because the new adapter has a thermostat switch mounted on it. I am still evaluating the new cooler. right now it looks like I am running about 240 to 250 degrees in the pan after 2 hours at 70 mph on a 85 degree day

Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a Jagg 10 row with fan assist. I've put about 9,000 miles on my '12 TG while running the Jagg. It consistently runs 20-30 cooler at freeway speeds. At stoplights the temps never go above 230 deg. I live near Fresno, CA and see lots of 90+ degree days each year.

One note about the adapter, I'm not entirely sure you have to use their adapter. I think that either MSocko or M3 uses (used) a jagg with the stock HD adapter.

The Jagg adapter routes oil through the filter then to the cooler, or vice versa. I'm not sure, but it's opposite routing than the HD adapter. The JAGG site discusses that rationale.

If you put a Jagg on, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by TheBobs; 10-10-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:53 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBobs
I have a Jagg 10 row with fan assist. I've put about 9,000 miles on my '12 TG while running the Jagg. It consistently runs 20-30 cooler at freeway speeds. At stoplights the temps never go above 230 deg. I live near Fresno, CA and see lots of 90+ degree day each year.

One note about the adapter, I'm not entirely sure you have to use their adapter. I think that either MSocko or M3 uses (used) a jagg with the stock HD adapter.

The Jagg adapter routes oil through the filter then to the cooler, or vice versa. I'm not sure, but it's opposite routing than the HD adapter. The JAGG site discusses that rationale.

If you put a Jagg on, you won't be disappointed.
We run the Jagg 10 row without the fan using the stock oil filter adapter, didn't see any real reason to change to the Jagg adapter. My dad has 30,000 miles on this combination with no issues, his temp rarely goes above 230.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:23 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I have a list of things to do to my 2012 triglide during the upcoming long dreary San Diego winter. I have stage 1 plus cams, and found with the added compression from the SE255 cams the stage 1 advantage was nulled. So, I am now going to more directly address cooling. One upgrade i am considering is the horizontal Jagg oil cooler with fans.

So, to those that have done this upgrade on later model tris with the factory installed OEM oil cooler:
- did the Jagg 10 row with fans appreciably reduce oil temperature?
- the Jagg web site indicates you need to replace the oil filter adapter...do you really need to do this when replacing the OEM cooler?

Hoping for cooler times,
Jeff
I have the Jagg 10 row with fan. It was good for a 20* drop in oil temps.

If I were to do it over again I would get the Wards Parts Werks FCS BEFORE replacing the stock oil cooler. It is quite possible with the FCS that the stock oil cooler will be good enough.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-10-2013, 06:50 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally agree with what M3 stated. I am very happy with the 10 row Jagg.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I have the Jagg 10 row with fan. It was good for a 20* drop in oil temps.

If I were to do it over again I would get the Wards Parts Werks FCS BEFORE replacing the stock oil cooler. It is quite possible with the FCS that the stock oil cooler will be good enough.
I agree with Kevin as I have both the Jagg and FCS fans on my Tri along with the other mods. I wired my thermal switch to a lighted toggle switch mounted on my fairing. Therefore I only need to turn the Jagg fan on when needed and can shut it of in the rain, I'm on an automatic sensor with the FCS fans at the present time and can shut them off if needed. I never see over 230 degrees even in the hot temps and humidity here in Florida.

I'd try the FCS fans first as Kevin suggests and then go with the Jagg if need be. I would highly recommend using the Jagg adaptor due to the way the oil is routed and for the value of the thermal switch. If you decide to go with the Jagg, I have a couple of tricks I can pass along that I got from Marv at Jagg.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:36 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
If you decide to go with the Jagg, I have a couple of tricks I can pass along that I got from Marv at Jagg.
Tricks, I like tricks, care to share.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
Tricks, I like tricks, care to share.
Sure Mike,

No big secrets and very simple follow the installation instructions to the letter. Additionally, spray copper coat on both sides of the adaptor gasket, install and torque to specs. It is critical to retighten the adaptor bolts in a criss cross fashion every time the oil filer is removed. Install the anti-rotation device, this is a must. Make sure that all of the hose clamps are positioned, so that you can get to them if they loosen up (I know mine did once).

The normal installation gets power from the brake light switch for the fan temp switch. This is too close to the heat from the exhaust IMO and the reason why I wired mine through a toggle on the fairing.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 AM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Sure Mike,
The normal installation gets power from the brake light switch for the fan temp switch. This is too close to the heat from the exhaust IMO and the reason why I wired mine through a toggle on the fairing.
I hooked mine up to the brake light switch initially, but moved it to the aux switch. My logic was that I wanted to run the fan in slow speed situations like cutbacks in the mountains, slow traffic to and from the central coast, and city stop and go traffic. None of those situations generally provide enough airflow on a 90-108 degree day, but the trike is still moving and the brake pedal can't be used. I also turn it off if I'm consistently moving more than 35 mph.

Quick Reply: jagg oil cooler install