Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

What did you do to Your Tri-Glide Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 04:43 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts
Default Getting ready to chrome up...

Getting ready to chrome up my wheels!!

I posted on another thread that my OEM wheels got some kind of unremoveable stains and corrosion at or around Sturgis or Yellowstone. So, I took this as an opportunity to chrome up.

I am getting chromed front and rear wheels from ***** Shiny. He chromes the OEM wheels, and swaps them with you for a core replacement of your old wheels.

In preparation, I just got back from my Harley dealer, where I bought:
- Michelin Commander II front tire
- Polished OEM style front rotors
- Lyndall Gold+ front brake pads
- front wheel install kit

Next week I'll drive up to ***** Shiny and pick up ( he's about 75 miles from me):
- 2 chromed rear wheels
- 2 rear wheel baby moons
- 1 chromed front wheel
- 2 chrome front wheel spacers

I'll have an auto tire shop swap my existing rear tires (perfect condition Michelin Exalto's) from the old nasty wheels, to the shiny chrome ones.

I have an appointment for my dealer to install all the front wheel stuff in two weeks.

I'll update with pictures when done.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:03 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Got the safety recall on the clutch today took about an hour, supposedly covers all 2014 models. It actually feels easier to pull and smoother ! Ebert

Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

I posted on another thread that my OEM wheels got some kind of unremoveable stains and corrosion at or around Sturgis or Yellowstone. So, I took this as an opportunity to chrome up.

I am getting chromed front and rear wheels from ***** Shiny. He chromes the OEM wheels, and swaps them with you for a core replacement of your old wheels.

Next week I'll drive up to ***** Shiny and pick up ( he's about 75 miles from me):
- 2 chromed rear wheels
- 1 chromed front wheel

I'll have an auto tire shop swap my existing rear tires (perfect condition Michelin Exalto's) from the old nasty wheels, to the shiny chrome ones.

I have an appointment for my dealer to install all the front wheel stuff in two weeks.

I was in the same boat, but I elected to just buy the Anarchy wheels (what else are you going to do with a SS check ) and then I'd have summer wheels and winter wheels. I really don't care what the stained stock wheels look like during the winter riding season, but want nice shiny chrome wheels for the summer. I also bought the baby moons from ***** Shiny - look great on the Anarchy wheels.
Did the chrome floating rotors also.
I switch the rear wheels myself - just bought a trike lift to make it easier - and I have the dealer switch the front wheel. He charges $50 to do the switch.
I have the Centramatic wheel balancers on the stock front wheel. They won't fit on the Anarchy wheel - bummer since that's the wheel/tire that gets the most use.

Good luck with your set up.

Tip: I only use window cleaner on the chrome wheels and not abrasive chrome cleaner. A chrome plater gave me that tip.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:16 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

- 2 chromed rear wheels
- 1 chromed front wheel

You will be a happy camper with this set up. I have the same items (except for the baby moons) and three years later they still look like new. Clean up is a snap and the front wheel spacers are trick.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:38 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Went for a nice 100 mile ride or so today, stopped for gas, and noticed that the fuel cap was missing. I don't seem to find that plastic fuel cap anywhere in the catalogue. I usually put it right on the seat so I don't forget it....can anyone help me out with a part number? Thanks!

Old 09-19-2014, 07:54 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

In over 50 years of riding, I did the same thing this summer for the first time. I put some paper towels in the opening and when I got to the next dealer I bought a new one. He only had one in stock. Whew!

Just tell the parts guy you want a gas cap for ______.

PS, I had the black plastic one on the Electaglides.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:14 PM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts
Unhappy

Just stopped at the dealer....$16.88 will remind me to not forget it!

Old 10-01-2014, 08:05 PM
CaCruizin
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stopped by my local dealer and got the driving lamps to stay on when they are turned on by having the ecu flashed a couple of minutes later I was on my way but still managed to spend $50 in the parts dept.....

Old 10-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Installed a Road Zepplien seat today, very nice...bought it from a forum member, save a ton of cash!
Very comfortable, wanted for my two wheelers but the width and hight always prevented it...non issue with the TG...

Old 10-05-2014, 10:03 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Installed a crankcase breather bypass with filter and drool cup. Detailed write up if you look for subject "crankcase breather".

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Tri-Glide Today?