VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

V-Rod guys. Talk to me honestly

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 08:31 PM
T-Rod45
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a touring bike?? Mine must have missed the memo!

I'm heading from CT to NC a week from now then swinging to TN before coming back. Quick little weekend loop.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:33 PM
T-Rod45
Road Captain

As far as input though, I'm also saying for the record to go '08+. Bigger fuel tank is a must, slipper clutch is SWEET, and ABS is a nice option.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:35 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by JONAS1969
Also... V-Rods can be set up quite nicely for long distance touring. There are floorboard kits, passenger folding floorboard kits, fairing options, backrest options, if you can think of it, it can be done...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mid-controls?

Old 09-26-2014, 07:00 AM
JONAS1969
Cruiser
Received 162 Likes on 69 Posts

Yep... I've probably seen more mids than forward setups on Vrods.

I actually prefer my NRS for long distance touring over my 08 Roadglide...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by JONAS1969; 09-26-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:09 AM
redrocket465
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by axnjxn
I have a real nice '07 for sale, not a scratch on it, low miles and priced to sell. My reason for selling is that I don't ride much anymore and three grandkids take a lot of my time, which in my opinion is great. PM me if interested.
Is your bike still available and can you send me pics

Old 09-29-2014, 07:05 AM
axnjxn
Advanced
Default rod

Originally Posted by redrocket465
Is your bike still available and can you send me pics
PM sent

Old 09-30-2014, 03:36 PM
JayDRod
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hal64hd
Quit talking out your A$$, The top on the Air Box is for federally mandated intake noise reduction.

You are not the Genius you think you are. You can't even spell Porsche correctly...
Okay... a Porsche "re-design" then... excuse my mispalling... so that is what those red underlines are all about!!

I am not arguing with you. You have your mind made up and clearly I must of "stepped in something" saying something that wasn't politically correct - I get that a lot. I just wanted to warn off folks that are prospective Vrod buyers not to buy someone else's silly bike with these fake "performance mods" ---why? Cause I did.

I was a victim of that myself when I bought a 2008 VRSCDXA 2nd hand. I ride motorcycles 100% -- don't own a car. I ride rain/shine and Winter/Summer all year. Anywhere I go is usually on the back of my VRod. After getting it I got caught in a downpour on the Interstate and my engine choked out. Water had collected in the bottom of the open airbox and got sucked into the filter where the level rose and then sloshed into my intake. Not a good feeling on a dark cold rainy night hear your engine choke out and have to pull over to get re-started. So folks that make this "mod" should probably at least know that since I brought my bike up to OEM specs in regard to the sealed airbox that this has been a problem solved! Performance mod? What a joke... how do you measure that level of performance when you are on the side of the road trying to re-start your engine! LOL

Also in cold weather I was getting rough starts and idle till the bike warmed up. Because of the open air box the intake air wasn't being directed over the intake air temp sensor and so the ECM was getting reading from the warm engine and not giving the engine a richer AFR when it was cold. Putting the air box cover fixed that too.

Also folks should know that the positive crankcase ventilator and oil separator that are in the airbox do not function without a sealed airbox because they operate off of intake vacuum. So at least know you are giving up some things.

I won't stoop to calling you names. I don't have to. I am not trying to convince you or anyone else -- just putting the information that I have come to know out there -- take it or leave it! If it were me I would want to know that I am getting a "Whole Bike" and not some kid's silly science experiment.

I do recognized a turned intake tract though. There is a reason the airbox is an air tight chamber and the air inlet trumpet extends out as far as it does. There is a reason why the rear velocity stack is taller than the front and not interchangeable. You can believe what you want of course but lets race in the rain sometime and I will show you where you are dead wrong.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:51 PM
JayDRod
Cruiser
Default CFR Title 40 -- Emission and Noise Control

BTW, the CFR regulation you quote isn't specific to this motorcycle or its design. It means nothing in terms of favoring this silly "topless" airbox mod.

The sealed airbox provides vacuum to the oil-separator and positive crankcase ventilation system which are considered to be part of the emission controls and that is the CFR 40 concern. The noise concerns only applies to muffling exhaust noise.

Anyway, I have rode with the air box cover off and the intake has a louder "restrictive air sucking noise" with the airbox on if you ask me. The rumor that the airbox was developed to lower noise is a total myth.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:53 PM
JayDRod
Cruiser

I like it... you have your bags packed and you aren't increasing the frontal surface area to cause more air drag. No silly side bags hanging off this beautiful bike too!

Old 09-30-2014, 04:02 PM
JayDRod
Cruiser
Default No Riding in the Rain

Originally Posted by FBRR
I agree with Hal64hd. Going topless is no big deal, and if you have the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor attached, it is functioning!
PowerCommander folks say the IAT sensor should be in the air intake stream otherwise radiant and convected heat from the engine will warm it making it ineffective -- it is a thermistor -- it changes resistance based on temp. The ECM reads that resistance in terms of a voltage divider circuit and then makes AFR changes that can amount to 7% increase in injector duty cycle.

You lose the oil-separator and positive crankcase ventilator too... Ok for you but not a mod I like. My bike came like that and after getting choked out in the rain I went to the H-D dealer and ordered a replacement air-box, retaining clips, and rubber-seal. Problem solved!

I mean... really... why make the mod if it has these kinds of negatives. I think the designers knew what they were doing in all things on this bike (except fuel level sensor). I wouldn't buy a new Ferrari and drill holes in the intake tract claiming I am doing it for "'mo betta performance!" But I guess folks do...

Last edited by JayDRod; 09-30-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: V-Rod guys. Talk to me honestly