Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Lets talk about potential dry rot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 AM
RottnRam
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lets talk about potential dry rot?

At which point based on the age of the tires should I be concerned?

How many years can you expect to run the same tires (not considering amount of mileage on the tires). I have a 2010 SG and thinking that the tires maybe due to being replaced because of age and potential dry rot. Unfortunately, do to health issues I have not been able to ride or put the miles on that I had hoped for when I purchased the bike. I live in the Northeast and the bike usually is winterized for 4-5 months due to weather. I do my diligence to keep the pressure regulated on them during riding season and during winter months the tires have a barrier between them and the concrete floor.

Also when buying tires online I have heard of horror stories about consumers purchasing tires that can be 2-4 years old sitting on the shelf prior to installation. I like to support my independent as much as the next guy, but when you consider the price discrepancies being as high as $200.00 for just the price of the tires is ridiculous.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:50 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

About 5 years max for optimal performance, modern tires are pretty well designed and the compounds are much better than in the past, but they still degrade. I can say I've had the same set of tires on my truck for 6 years and they ceartainly show cracking all around the carcass, don't grip for crap in the rain because they're hard. My truck also sets outside 24/7-365. On a motorcycle I would ceartainly replace after 5 years regardless of mileage/ tread depth. $200 is pocket change and cheap peace of mind vs what a new bike and medical bills cost after a low side crash from washing out in a curve or after a tire structurally fails.

Also I've saved a ton of money buying tires online and swapping myself. As well I've never got a tire more than a year old. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think thats normal.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 03-19-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:23 AM
RottnRam
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s
$200 is pocket change and cheap peace of mind vs what a new bike and medical bills cost after a low side crash from washing out in a curve or after a tire structurally fails.

Also I've saved a ton of money buying tires online and swapping myself. As well I've never got a tire more than a year old. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think thats normal.
I agree with your statements that is why regardless of mileage I will be replacing them. I just wanted to pose the question because five years is a long time for motorcycles tires. I have seen online prices for same exact tire and size compared to local costs varying up to $200.00. I believe there is importance of building a relationship with your local independent but, that price variation was the price of the tires not to mounting and install. I turn my wrenches on my own ride when possible and probably would removing the wheels/tires from the bike and take them to be mounted. There is also the possibility because of buying them online finding someone to mount them might also be a problem.

I guess if I was to buy tires online I would call, check and confirm that the production date is under a year before purchasing.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There are various unofficial guidelines I have come across. For trailers, which often don't get much use, I have seen 6 years mentioned, which is my personal limit for all my vehicles, not that most of them are idle for long! Subject to checking for wear I would probably carry on riding a bike of that age for another year.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:29 AM
RottnRam
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
There are various unofficial guidelines I have come across. For trailers, which often don't get much use, I have seen 6 years mentioned, which is my personal limit for all my vehicles, not that most of them are idle for long! Subject to checking for wear I would probably carry on riding a bike of that age for another year.
Thanks for the response. I have opted to go to local independent and have them get the tires and we will mount them. The tires are about $30 more than what I have found online but, I have been assured that the tires I will be getting are recent production and not something that has been sitting on a rack for extended period of time.