Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

I like wide tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:25 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default I like wide tires

Whats the widest rear tire i can run on the back of my 2000 FXDS-Conv?

Right now running a 150-80-16 original tire was a 130 I think, can i go wider then 150 on the stock wheel and fender without any problems?

thanks

Old 09-29-2012, 05:26 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Unlikely. The widest tyre most brands recommend for a stock rim is 150, which you currently have. That is probably very close to your belt. So your belt clearance plus the width of your fender are the limiting factors. The stock fender will just cope with a 160 tyre, but it is unlikely you will get one in beside your belt.

If you want to go wider you either have to get creative (I have a Deuce rear wheel and 160 tyre in my Glide) or start spending on conversion kits.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:26 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
Unlikely. The widest tyre most brands recommend for a stock rim is 150, which you currently have. That is probably very close to your belt. So your belt clearance plus the width of your fender are the limiting factors. The stock fender will just cope with a 160 tyre, but it is unlikely you will get one in beside your belt.

If you want to go wider you either have to get creative (I have a Deuce rear wheel and 160 tyre in my Glide) or start spending on conversion kits.
Right now i have fatboy wheels on it, at least thats what i think they are, they were changed by the person who had it before me. I'll have to look at the clearence the belt has and maybe try a 160 tire like you have. what year is your dyna? Mine is 2000

Old 09-30-2012, 06:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Your Fatboy wheels are likely to be 3" wide, same as your original wheels. To take my 160 tyre I have a 4.5" Deuce wheel, but that involved a lot of other changes to get it in, such as a narrow belt. Running clearances in several places are very close. If you want to more details, read my threads on Suspension and Wide wheel, but get a long drink first! None of this is quick or easy to do.

My bike is a Glide (below), not a Dyna, although I have owned a Dyna for many years and the clearance problems and challenges are similar.

Last edited by grbrown; 09-30-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

150 is the widest that will fit and 150 is the widest that is recommended on a 3" rim as well which is what those fatboy rims are.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM
deez nuts
Road Captain

Ok thats what i thought it would be since the original tire was a 130, i guess ill just make the 150 work then. thanks for the info man!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a Deuce wheel for sale. Sticking a 200 on my Deuce. But like grbrown said, it probably won't just bolt up. I went to a 17x6 on my Deuce and had to shave the caliper mount on the swing arm, a portion of the caliper, and the inner fender support brackets. I'm having to probably put a new belt and pulley on it too.

My indie is stopping by my house to help me out this evening after I get off work. Did I mention how awesome I have it?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:52 AM
peter50
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folk,
I am looking for the tires which should be comfortable in rain as well. This is why because I live at the top of hills so after rain the road become slippery .
Any special tires which are specially design for the rain purpose. Please paste here that link. Really encourage you.

Last edited by peter50; 10-12-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:55 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain

Originally Posted by peter50
Hi folk,
I am looking for the tires which should be comfortable in rain as well. This is why because I live at the top of hills so after rain the road become slippery .
Any special tires which are specially design for the rain purpose. Please paste here that link. Really encourage you.

They make car tires for the rain lol

Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by peter50
Hi folk,
Peter, you're posting in somebody else's thread. You really should start a new one of your own.

If you are still using the factory Dunlops you will find almost any other quality tyre will be better in rain. The names that come up most often as alternative brands are Avon, Continental, Metzeler, Michelin, Pirelli. My preference is Avon.

Quick Reply: I like wide tires