Sponsored by:

Dunlops suck as far as traction!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Dunlaps use a dual compound tire construction where they put a harder compound in the center of the tread for better wear, and a softer compound on the sides for better stick in the corners.
So do Michelin on the Commander II and Metzeler on the ME888.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Remove the name Dunlops from all the comments and insert the word Mobil 1 and this sounds just like an oil thread. Opinions! Not right, not wrong, just personnel preference.
Every rider will ride different, maintain different, etc etc etc.................
And in the end, there will always be many different tires and oil's for many different people.
Ding ding ding we have a winner. Not everyone rides hell for leather in the curves. Most of my riding is two up and I don't push it with her on the back. I used to run Metzlers but had severe cupping issues. Never ran Michelins except on my cars ..awesome product. Best balance of performance and wear came from the Dunlops. Plus they are available.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:37 PM
RK_2014
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Remove the name Dunlops from all the comments and insert the word Mobil 1 and this sounds just like an oil thread. Opinions! Not right, not wrong, just personnel preference.
Every rider will ride different, maintain different, etc etc etc.................
And in the end, there will always be many different tires and oil's for many different people.

Great point - never noticed

Old 10-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Eh - I'm only 3k into the tires on my Limited but they seem to be wearing very well. I haven't noticed any adverse handling characteristics; while I haven't been grinding my floorboards I have been through some twisties & they seem planted well enough. I have the Metz ME888 on my 1400 Intruder & they seem to wear & handle very well too. If the Dunlops wear well, once they're spent I'll probably replace them with the same.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:29 PM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
I'll try and get a few pics of the scraps on the road, where the floorboard and brackets been draging as the dunlops keep sticking like glue. Lol
You be careful, they don't stick as good as you think. Give it ANY throttle in a good curve, you'll feel that back scooting! BE SAFE!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

I have ran these Dunlops since 2010

I lived in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains and had no issues gouging on it in the curves and hills.

There wasn't a straight road for 50 miles....

Just my experience.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:15 PM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
I say this every day. If you think the stock tires have good traction, you have never tried another brand tire. Mileage is not the only consideration for me when I am purchasing tires. I like good grip and a compound that does not feel as hard as a rock.

If I get 10K out of a rear tire on a bagger I am happy. My personal favorite is the Michelin Commander II right now.
I guess I'm just a dumb *** cause I have ridden in heavy rain with puddles, wet leaves on the road scraped the floorboards with the stock tires. If I wanted Z rated tires like my BMW's I would be a fool. Enjoy that "special feeling"

Old 10-02-2014, 09:51 PM
shredder22
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just replaced my Dunlops at 15.5k miles mostly 2 up riding and still had life in them. I also felt very comfortable in all kinds of road conditions. I am not a heavy throttle guy and ride "normally" (haha) most of the time. My best experience with them was my trip to Milwaukee for the 110th, rained like crazy almost all the way back to NH and not an issue, handled well. So I think I'll be staying with the Dunlops, JMO.....ride safe...

Old 10-04-2014, 03:58 PM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Since '03 on my fourth touring Harley with over 100,000 miles total. All were equipped with Dunlops. I have no complaints.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:55 PM
skieverything
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could it be that the OP is not yet used to the power of the new 103, possibly giving too much throttle in the turn?? Me personally have no problem with the dunlops and will continue to use the same. G

Quick Reply: Dunlops suck as far as traction!!