Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Auto-Zoom rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:21 PM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The full zoom after start up, just started happening with most recent update. That was not an issue before that. Doesn't make it any less frustrating though.

I agree about an indicator what zoom setting it is on would be useful. That, and/or a scale of distance.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:46 PM
frankegd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdgresham
Was at my dealer yesterday and told new firmware will be out next week that addresses the N arrow & waypoint limitation issue!
I was told so too. I asked again, if they were refering to the 1.18.1 version, but they said no, there will be another big update.

I will believe it when I see/download it...

Thank you
frankEGD

Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 PM
codpilot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having just spent the last four months living on the bike the infotainment center is a constant source of frustration.

Each patch fails to fix all kinds of things and then breaks even more things.

Examples:
Let the whole system boot before starting first thing in the day. If not a good 75% of the time it will freeze (unless at the dealer of course)
Radio - still has static and is basically worthless, even in major cities
XM - works great in absolutely wide open areas of the world. Put a tree or hill within 1000 yds and poof intermittent signals galore
Start the bike plug in the phone or ipod and insta-defaults to playing the music on it without selection.
Bluetooth limits - no headset? WTF the Sena SMH10 has had full bluetooth profiles and will hook to mulitple devices. So the engineers on this must have been trainined in the 1970's and never learned a new thing since - I mean really, hard wired headsets?
Screen design from someone who learned advanced GUI design from a blind squirrel - just soo counter intuitive
A screen with the pixel density of a 1980's calculator. Not even close to current technology
Why aren't the menu options listed in order of usage / importance, alpha listings is unrealistic - maybe as a option, but heck Gas, Food, Motel and destimation - 99 % of a GPS uses, exits? sigh Nav is last on the second column? huh - two buttons Entertainment and GPS would be logical

Ergonomics - why don't the buttons on the handle bar correspond to the plane of movement and location of the thumbs. The don't unless the designer is a double jointed 4" thumb owner.

GPS - What a piece of junk
$150 map updates to last years maps?!?
Inability to even get close half the time. Sigh, makes TomTom's piece of junk seem like a miracle
Entering addresses - if you enter them too fast the GPS will not recognize them. You need to let it "recognize" then "lookup" the next thing on the entering order. Basically enter the street, wait, then the house number. Other wise nope. Not going to work.
Finding anything is menus deep on the POI - so lots of looking and scrolling taking your eyes off the road forever... but!
Heaven forbid you search by name or change the address
Waypoint limit - seriously?
Add a waypoint - adds to the END OF THE ROUTE???? yep that gas station 10 miles down the road is now at the end.
Screen darkening issue - well known
Loss of route map at any decent level of zoom - and after selecting go, blergh miserable
New since 18.1
Screen blacks the map on shade/tunnel/dark so good luck reading anything, all you get is an orange line
Weather radar from XM now no longer zooms
Generic issue that most GPS's have but if I'm traveling on a limited access road - teh gas station/motel/whathaveyou behind me that I can't get to is worthless.
search functions in POI categories that gives you blank lists at random times forcing you to exit out and research
TMC (or whatever it is) information about bad road conditions - only has an ignore or repeat button, so as it's rerouting you around whateverm, you can't see the map. why not an Accept button huh?
constant resetting of north vs direction traveled option
menu items in random places - why isn't all the setting for the Nav system under the freaking nav system setting?

All that coupled with random lock ups, volume lockouts, prompts locking out everything.

The list is more but /venting

I love the mechanicals, but the Rushmore project should have been Rushedless and freaking worked well. It should have been modern and functional technology instead of antiquated, unworkable junk.

As for the "patch due out next week". I've heard that since the day I bought the bike last November. 20k miles later and it's readily apparent that HD really does not give a rats *** about it. The lack of training by the dealerships and technicians, the lack of urgency to fix it and the shoddy work that went into it is just sad.

/rant

Old 10-15-2014, 08:00 AM
frankegd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by codpilot
Screen design from someone who learned advanced GUI design from a blind squirrel - just soo counter intuitive
No sh**!

A screen with the pixel density of a 1980's calculator. Not even close to current technology
Very funny, true unfortunately..

Why aren't the menu options listed in order of usage / importance, alpha listings is unrealistic - maybe as a option, but heck Gas, Food, Motel and destimation - 99 % of a GPS uses, exits? sigh Nav is last on the second column? huh - two buttons Entertainment and GPS would be logical
Another very good point!

And I do agree on most of your other remarks, even though I have not discovered, or noticed some of them.

I would not mind these issues (that much) on a $150 GPS/head unit, but on a $1800 piece of electronics??

I assume the market, Indian announced coming out with some new bikes back then, may have had something to do with the rush (no pun intended) to get this done.
Now it's time to suffer the consequences... And to get them fixed (?).

Thank you
FrankEGD

Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Having just spent the last four months living on the bike the infotainment center is a constant source of frustration.
All I can say is, mine seems to work just fine.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:53 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Merri1
Last month I went cross country and back; just short of 8000 miles. Took 28 days and it was a fantastic trip. If you ever have the time, I say 'Go for it'. I used the gps all the time. Every time I started the bike the gps seemed to come back up to the zoom level I had before shutdown. OK, that's fine. As soon as I touch either zoom in or zoom out to change the zoom level, it will go to the most zoomed in adjustment that there is. Then I had to zoom out about 8 0r 10 steps to see where the gps is pointing. This seems like it would be an easy s/w fix. H-D should have found this as unacceptable when they took control of the s/w from their vendor. Also, FWIW, the first 4 or 5 zoom levels are useless on a motorcycle. And there should be an indicator of what zoom step you are on. OK, end of rant.
That is a known issue with the latest failed 1.18.1 update. Downgrade to 1.17.4 or .5 and your zoom will work properly again.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:14 PM
codpilot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offthewall
That is a known issue with the latest failed 1.18.1 update. Downgrade to 1.17.4 or .5 and your zoom will work properly again.
Yeah except I don't have the .4 or .5 release, and no dealer I've stopped at seems to have it either. so I continue to just deal - and pray for sunshine.

For folks whose Infotainment center works perfectly well for you - Awesome!!

For me it's been one disappointment after another. I've spent days with everything turned off just to avoid the grrr factor of dealing with it. And while I have a fun time riding without the electronics, I spent $$ on this bike so I can use the whole bike, not part of it. sigh

Old 10-15-2014, 09:24 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Yeah except I don't have the .4 or .5 release, and no dealer I've stopped at seems to have it either. so I continue to just deal - and pray for sunshine. For folks whose Infotainment center works perfectly well for you - Awesome!! For me it's been one disappointment after another. I've spent days with everything turned off just to avoid the grrr factor of dealing with it. And while I have a fun time riding without the electronics, I spent $$ on this bike so I can use the whole bike, not part of it. sigh
Do a search here. There have been a couple of links to the 1.17.4 software. The 1.18.1 is a disaster.