Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 FLHTK Cold Weather startups

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 08:09 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Having the same issue. Almost didn't start yesterday morning. Ride it daily. Using syn oils except primary. Did not have this issue last winter. Last winter it didn't fire up with 'gusto', but it never 'barely started' either. I just figure with the miles I have put on mine that a battery is just due. Noticed volts gauge not getting any higher than 13.8. My '13 RGU was typically 14.5'ish. I do use the heated grips, but always make sure they are turned off before I shut the bike down. I have never used a tender on any of my bikes because unless there is ice, I ride it daily.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:33 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,485 Likes on 1,543 Posts

have the charging system checked out. you may have a bad voltage regulator.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:21 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
have the charging system checked out. you may have a bad voltage regulator.
I am going to take it in and let them look at it. Spoke to my local dealer and it turns out even if it is the battery, the factory warranty covers it (ESP doesn't, but factory warranty does).

Old 12-07-2015, 11:40 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

It was 30 degrees in my garage this AM (Monday). The bike was not on a tender and I had been running it on accessory for awhile yesterday to install and load up 2 trip routes in my GPS. It fired right up this morning. I last rode it Friday afternoon.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:21 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

I noticed something odd which occurred twice yesterday. When I first started my 14 TK with only 8,000 miles on it, it started to crank, then it hit the dead spot (stopped cranking for a split second), and while still depressing the start button, it started. Then after I rode the bike for about 20 miles, I parked bike for about 10 minutes. I went to start it and again it did the same thing as above. But what I did notice was that both of these times, even though I turned the ignition switch to accessory mode to let the systems boot up, even though I pressed the ok for the nav warning, after the bike did start, I had to press the ok button again to clear the warning.

Since new, once the bike started, I never had to press the ok button again to clear the nav warning. But the other 3 restarts for this ride, the bike ran and operated fine. Temp's were from 60-70 degrees. I took the battery tender off the bike the night before the ride. Voltage on dash voltmeter always read over 14 volts. Last I checked, battery cables were tight.

Possibly battery going south? Bike will be 2 years old in March.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:44 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

On a ride last winter i was going across a river on a ferry, there were several other bikes on the ferry. Everyone was talking and looking at the bikes. When i walked by one i noticed his ignition was still turned on. This was about 30 min into the ferry ride. The owner came up and turned it the ignition off.

I thought about that, what if i had a battery issue, brought on by myself or just bad battery. What a hassle getting it jumped.

So i shopped around and found a place, can't remember the web site, that sold me the following for 125 dollars (RP2). I just carry the Lil Lightning rescue pack and the short jumper cable with me. The rest of the pack stays home. But i did have occasion to use it this past summer after a storm and our power was knocked out for 2 days.

You can read the literature about it, but in reality it is about 3 times the thickness of an Iphone 6+ and about the same size. Charge once every 6 months or so and it maintains a full charge.

http://www.atvparthub.com/RP2_Lil_Li...FUKQHwodZAwDxw

You can find similar products, i think lowes or home depot may even sell their version.

Cheap insurance. And has other uses besides the bike.

Last edited by 68 XLCH; 12-07-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:00 PM
gwellis
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If any MODS have been done to the sled, I would make sure the compression release has been re initialized?

Old 12-07-2015, 08:02 PM
gwellis
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just basing this on what you folks are describing

Old 12-08-2015, 10:03 AM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't even find the battery on mine... :-o

Old 12-08-2015, 03:22 PM
HDultralowGA
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

My 2015 Limited does the same thing, but not to the point it has never not started. It drags on start up, whether it be the first time in the morning or thereafter. After riding I plug it into the battery tender and it charges for a period of time as if the battery hasn't taken a charge when riding. 4000 miles on the bike now, and its done this from day one. Being that its never left me stranded or not started I figure its normal and no worries.

"Stay Calm and Ride On"...

Quick Reply: 2014 FLHTK Cold Weather startups