Sponsored by:

Fuelmoto Stainless 2-1-2 Exhaust Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 356 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by 472viper
..... I think the sequence is critical and anything other than the 99lbs of torque that fuelmoto recommends....

99 ft ibs?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:02 PM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I positioned the pipes against the heads as in the video, but when I went to rotate the pipe into final position and anticipating the "snap" as mentioned in the video, the welded tab on the pipe would not mate up with the bracket on the trans mount as it's supposed to. The welded tab lined up perfect with the mount on the trans mount and would not slide under it. Attempting to reposition the pipe in order to get the tabs in proper position, it would feel like the pipes would slide out of position in the head. I got the pipe/trans mount tabs positioned properly and kind of muscled the pipes into what I thought was proper position in the heads. Double checked position of flange collars and the flanges engaged exhaust port studs no problem and everything torqued up as specified. I did call during the process. Whoever I talked to was very helpful and admitted that it might take some "fiddling" with it and to just have patience. That's all it was, just didn't go EXACTLY as I thought it was supposed (never is as easy as it looks in the video LOL). Anyway it's on and the dyno tech says it does not leak under power, so I'm looking forward to spring.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:03 PM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
99 ft ibs?

INCH LBS INCH LBS INCH LBS !!!!!

My bad good catch. I went back and edited that part.

Last edited by 472viper; 01-21-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 356 Likes on 205 Posts

inch lbs inch lbs inch lbs !!!!!

My bad good catch. I went back and edited that part.

lol

Old 01-21-2015, 01:45 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,121 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I positioned the pipes against the heads as in the video, but when I went to rotate the pipe into final position and anticipating the "snap" as mentioned in the video, the welded tab on the pipe would not mate up with the bracket on the trans mount as it's supposed to. The welded tab lined up perfect with the mount on the trans mount and would not slide under it. Attempting to reposition the pipe in order to get the tabs in proper position, it would feel like the pipes would slide out of position in the head. I got the pipe/trans mount tabs positioned properly and kind of muscled the pipes into what I thought was proper position in the heads. Double checked position of flange collars and the flanges engaged exhaust port studs no problem and everything torqued up as specified. I did call during the process. Whoever I talked to was very helpful and admitted that it might take some "fiddling" with it and to just have patience. That's all it was, just didn't go EXACTLY as I thought it was supposed (never is as easy as it looks in the video LOL). Anyway it's on and the dyno tech says it does not leak under power, so I'm looking forward to spring.
Generally speaking with the OEM style gaskets the pipe is not going to snap into place as with the FM gaskets due to the difference in gasket thickness. With the OEM gasket the Jackpot flange engages to outer circumference of the gasket, upon tightening the nuts it will draw the collar in place. I agree exhaust installation can be a bit cumbersome and takes some patience, however it sounds like you got it installed like a champ and are good to go, we also recommend after some miles checking and re-torquing the flange nuts.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 01-21-2015, 07:30 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,116 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by flashracer
Service Manager thought I was too picky even though he has not even heard the tick in person.

Wrong answer!! That dude should be getting an earful from you!
Spending that kind of coin on a bike + aftermarket accessories earns you the right to be as picky as you want.