Sponsored by:

Is anyone annoyed with gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:54 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Don81
Yeah it's a little annoying. I sorta rock the bike side to side as I'm filling so it burps. Probably gets me another 1/2 gallon in there before it will start to catch and spit.
Exactly, however I don't know how many of you came off a 10 or so,, it seems they improved the vent system on these from my 2010 SG,,, I could put another gallon in there usually with clicks and clicks,, which took a good 5 extra minutes I bet. Now it's usually only a couple rock side to sides,, and a slow couple clicks and it's FULL!

Old 11-19-2015, 03:01 PM
jdgresham
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default No

Never had a problem. Just grab a couple paper towels at the pump and wrap around the nozzle. Works for me.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:25 PM
jampg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to have to push the button twice before it will release. I gave the spring and the latch a little love juice but no change. Its temperamental just like most women...

Old 11-19-2015, 08:18 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I guarantee there is a reason the door opens the way it does.... I have no idea what it is.

I've never had an issue with the way the door opens. I fuel while sitting on the bike. Much easier.

Years ago when I had my Softail, I got off, but the fill was on the high side then
I think I will try that, the first time I filled it clicked off, I gave it an extra squeeze, and fuel came gushing out under the console and down the left side of the bike on to the primary cover. The guy at the gas station came running out in a panic. I just took a rag, soaked in the wash bucket, and cleaned it up. I have always filled it on the jiffy stand, and I get 225 miles before the light comes on nearly all the time. So bottom line I have no problem with this new design.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:47 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the reasons I put a center stand on my '14 FLHTCU was to enable filling the tank. With it on it's side stand gas sprayed up and out of the tank, no matter what speed of delivery I used. I believe it has to do with the incoming gas hitting the gas in the tank that causes the spray back.

On the side stand it was worse and to fill the tank required rocking the bike back and forth and tickling the trigger on the pump control multiple times.

Still get a small amount of spray coming up from the tank on the center stand but it's only occasional. When the handle clicks off I trigger it once or twice and it's full. I can still rock the bike slightly and the level will drop as it "burps" the tank. But the process is easier on the center stand.

Wife really appreciates the center stand for getting on. I use the side stand for her to get off the bike because it lowers the bike closer to the ground and makes it easier for her to slide off the seat while touching the ground.

I added the lock to my upgraded tank cover. I also have problems getting the latch to release and the lid to release and pop up. I insert the key and use it to push down the release incorporated in the latch. This method works every time so I don't have to fumble with depressing the release and getting it to work.

BTW ... Driving off the center stand is like launching of a rocket launch pad. A little clunk when it hits the frame and you're already rolling with your feet up.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 11-21-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:06 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
One of the reasons I put a center stand on my '14 FLHTCU was to enable filling the tank. With it on it's side stand gas sprayed up and out of the tank, no matter what speed of delivery I used. I believe it has to do with the incoming gas hitting the gas in the tank that causes the spray back.

On the side stand it was worse and to fill the tank required rocking the bike back and forth and tickling the trigger on the pump control multiple times.

Still get a small amount of spray coming up from the tank on the center stand but it's only occasional. When the handle clicks off I trigger it once or twice and it's full. I can still rock the bike slightly and the level will drop as it "burps" the tank. But the process is easier on the center stand.

Wife really appreciates the center stand for getting on. I use the side stand for her to get off the bike because it lowers the bike closer to the ground and makes it easier for her to slide off the seat while touching the ground.

I added the lock to my upgraded tank cover. I also have problems getting the latch to release and the lid to release and pop up. I insert the key and use it to push down the release incorporated in the latch. This method works every time so I don't have to fumble with depressing the release and getting it to work.

BTW ... Driving off the center stand is like launching of a rocket launch pad. A little clunk when it hits the frame and you're already rolling with your feet up.

Is it an HD center-stand?
Thanx,
Paul

Old 11-21-2015, 01:05 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I may get the center stand for several reasons, including the spouse as mentioned.

I've never had an issue fueling and never thought about it until this thread. I fuel from the left side between bike and pump, seems to work fine. The very slight spit on occasion is contained within the chrome shroud. I rock it once or twice top off some not trying to squeeze every last drop in and good to go.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:45 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Is it an HD center-stand?
Thanx,
Paul
I chose EZ-Up by Wheeldock. It honestly, solidly mounts with one bolt and in just about 3 minutes.

You can put a 3/8" board under it and it will lift the back wheel for cleaning or situating the valve stem.

You have to be on flat level ground for it to work correctly and safely. It's very sturdy on level surfaces. I like to have the bike straight up and down for cleaning and taking up less room when storing in the garage.