Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outdated Suspension Design

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:29 PM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I bet any car would have bounced around on that rode. It's a motorcycle!!!! It's seems everyone lately wants to take a cruiser to the limit. Remember these two words when riding a bike beyond its means, "Ground Hurts". The bike was made to cruise and relax. There are other bikes for different rides.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:42 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Is it just me. I love the changes made to the Rushmore line but it seems like the RUBs will never be happy.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:44 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
Is it just me. I love the changes made to the Rushmore line but it seems like the RUBs will never be happy.

No, its not just you.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:47 PM
Northride
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
How, pray tell, would Harley make a touring bike with longer travel? And still make it rideable for those under 6-5?

It's a f*&$%ing street bike for Chrisakes. You don't need 6 inches of travel. And if you have Ohlins you're either made of glass or your shocks are set up wrong for your weight.

Honest to God....it seems like the threads lately are the biggest collection of whine-fests I have yet to see. My seat is too slippery. My transmission whines. My bike is bumpy.

Arghhh! These are motorcycles we're talking about!

Good Lord people. Sell the bikes and buy a Lazy Boy!
I'm with you. If anyone wants a long travel suspension on a Harley then the bike is going to look God Awful. Also, do you like that 25" seat height? Not a chance can you have that if you want , that's why BMW's and such look the way they do. Go ahead and add 3" on to an SG rr fender and se how the bike looks - i'm sure you'll hate it. And think about how much space is going to be between the road and your exhaust - can you say dirtbike? YOU CAN"T HAVE IT ALL. Oh and my SGS handles potholes and manholes like crap too, I doubt the premium cartridges are going to make a big difference, and anyway it's the rear that is the killer and the only way to solve that is to add the 2-3 inches of travel and I'm too much in love with the SG look to do that, as I think we all are.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:50 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

How, pray tell, would Harley make a touring bike with longer travel? And still make it rideable for those under 6-5?

It's a f*&$%ing street bike for Chrisakes. You don't need 6 inches of travel. And if you have Ohlins you're either made of glass or your shocks are set up wrong for your weight.

Honest to God....it seems like the threads lately are the biggest collection of whine-fests I have yet to see. My seat is too slippery. My transmission whines. My bike is bumpy.

Don't hold back..... tell us how you REALLY feel.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:12 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
mine rides great.
This ! And my part of TX has some really garbage roads.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:10 PM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Old 06-28-2015, 12:27 AM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Some interesting responses. If I'm being honest, I expected the typical keyboard hero BS from a few responses - I didn't expect to outright be called a *****.

I got a pretty good kick out of the recommendation to go ride a shovelhead to gain some perspective however...lol...

Old 06-28-2015, 01:24 AM
Custardglide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I kinda agree with both sides of the argument, looks vs function, I ride a FLHTKSE and a BMW GS1200 and the roads here in the UK are pretty bad (on the whole, worse than most of the roads between Milwaukee and Sturgis) and I can go down the same roads on both bikes and on the TK it can feel like my fillings are gonna drop out, the GS on the other hand is far more forgiving (no doubt to the extra travel)
My point being, the cost of these things, whether its a roadking, streetglide, FLHTK or the CVO version, WE PAY ENOUGH MONEY FOR THEM TO HAVE OHLINS QUALITY SUSPENSION!!!

Old 06-28-2015, 07:52 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Don't hold back..... tell us how you REALLY feel.
Lol. I just said what you (to varying degrees) were thinking. I know you love your bike and have defended it as vigorously. Especially the Infotainment system.

Ordinarily my response, if any at all, would have been more reserved. However, I read this thread after a string of similar threads complaining about things that as a motorcyclist, I have accepted as part of the sport for years. That concept having applied to all my bikes - BMW, KTM, UJM, Brit, Harley, etc. Each bike has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Is a 900+ Harley the best choice for twisty, pot holed roads? Absolutely not. For that I would choose my DR650. Could Harley do better in the suspension department? Obviously. But not by adding (much) travel. A Goldwing has only an inch more. I have installed Ohlins 2.5s on my bike, and it is vastly improved. But, I will still feel it when I hit a pot hole.

In the end, right off the showroom floor, the Rushmore is a fantastic, all around bike with a touring bias. I'm as happy running up to the grocery store as I am carving up the Ozarks, as I am setting the cruise at 85 running super-slab. If the Op has Ohlins on the bike, and they are set up properly, and he doesn't feel the same way, in all honesty he should buy a different bike. Why suffer through the agony of riding the one he has? But I suspect there would be something else to complain about - which is my entire point.

And I never said the word "*****" just to be clear.

Originally Posted by Custardglide
I kinda agree with both sides of the argument, looks vs function, I ride a FLHTKSE and a BMW GS1200 and the roads here in the UK are pretty bad (on the whole, worse than most of the roads between Milwaukee and Sturgis) and I can go down the same roads on both bikes and on the TK it can feel like my fillings are gonna drop out, the GS on the other hand is far more forgiving (no doubt to the extra travel)
My point being, the cost of these things, whether its a roadking, streetglide, FLHTK or the CVO version, WE PAY ENOUGH MONEY FOR THEM TO HAVE OHLINS QUALITY SUSPENSION!!!
As alluded to above and on other threads, I agree. That's why I bought Ohlins for my bike. But, I had to buy them for my GS too. I'm not sure what they run now, but when I had my GS in 2007, everyone had the exact same complaint - Why should we have to pay for decent shocks on our BMWs?

The answer is the same for them as it is for Harley - because they know they will sell just as many bikes with the crap shocks as Ohlins. On a production cost analysis, adding that much cost to their bikes is like a bullet to the head. Hell, they sweat pennies. We're talking dollars.

Last edited by nevada72; 06-28-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Outdated Suspension Design