Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak on 2015 limited at 33 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 08:34 AM
nightrain116
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if it wasn't clear. In a nut shell. first time into shop dealer tried a new main drive gear seal. they trailered it back to my house. when I came home I started it up drove it into my garage. Had a bigger puddle. The second time they ended up replacing the actual main drive gear. (there are 2 seals in the main gear.) It fixed the leak. however now I have a saddle bag that doesn't shut properly.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Sounds to me like that Tech should lose their job. If they can't control their emotions, they have no business working on machinery that puts a life on the line.

I fail to see how this represents HD though. You should contact a regional HD representative and share your encounter.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 PM
Kseeley
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow- that sucks. I would have confronted the tech for that. He deserves to be fired.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:48 PM
Dago_RoadKing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nightrain116
Picked up a new Ultra limited last week. I drove it home, roughly 20 miles, parked it in the garage and admired it for a while. The next morning I see a puddle off the outer primary. Upon looking further it seems to be from the transmission. its coming from the back of the gear. The dealer picked it up Friday had it all day and returned it. I started it and ran it in the garage. Saturday morning I have a bigger puddle. Now I am starting to get concerned. I called the dealer back and talked to the owner. He is like hey I will pick it back up on Monday and see whats up. ???? Im like ok.... but I already can not go on the ride I had planned with friends today and I also am going riding sunday. I tried to ask if they had a loaner but he decided he would go out of his way and pick the bike up again on a Saturday and work it in. I stated I couldn't see how it would be the same seal leaking again that its either a shaft or housing that needs to be looked at. Ok so now its 2pm I get a call from the shop asking if I was going to be in the area before closing(??) uh I guess so. The assistant service manager could not explain over the phone what they found. so I said please let me see the parts when I get there. he said it should be wrapped up by 3:30. They close at 4. Well I get dropped off and the bike is still on the rack. they showed me a main drive gear from the transmission. Another dealer JUST HAPPENED to have a few in stock because that dealer has run across 2 bikes with the same concern. I am feeling better now. NOW FOR THE DRAMA!!!!!!!! so I am sitting in the waiting room and have a perfect line of sight view of my bike on the lift. The tech is working on mike bike when all of a sudden I can see him get pissed. he is now hitting himself in his head with his fist....WTF????? he forgot something because the outer primary is coming back off. HE then SLAMS the cover into a drain barrel YES I AM NOW PISSED I stand up not taking my eyes off him or my bike I am backing out of the waiting room to get the attention of the owner when I see the tech try to grab the latch on the left saddle bag. he MISSES and gets more pissed so now when he opens it the lid flings backwards. I tell the owner he better do something before I take things into my own hands............ there is more but I am just getting upset.... it seems like the whole corporation is turning to ****. more things wrong with the bikes and the people that are supposed to help you out and know their **** don't give a **** about anything other then a paycheck and being out when the clock says so.
If it were me. An oil leak at 33 miles would equal the dealer swapping me out to a new bike. Thats not an issue I would be willing to risk in the long run. The @$$hole tech would just be icing on the cake.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

I think Harley's quality has hit another low. Way too many problems with the new bikes. It all started in '03 when they got rid of the Timken crank bearing. It was all downhill from there.

Last edited by BigMike; 08-04-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Thumbs up Ya got that right!!

Originally Posted by dc3plt
And THIS is why no dealer will ever see my brand new SG in their service department unless the engine seizes.

I have all the normal tools and tech manuals to do everything myself. Only way it gets done right. If I f something up, so be it and I'll blame myself.

Not saying all dealers techs are bad BUT there's NO QUESTION about who cares about your bike more....you or a dealer.

No, I'm not concerned about the garbage 2 year warranty. A South Korean Kia is warranted for 10 years for F sake.

Anyway, your post really pissed me off, I hope you get things worked out and hope you NEVER take your bike back to that dealer.
A-friggin'-men, Brother! My sentiments exactly. I'll buy the parts and install them myself before I let one of those clueless, worthless hacks touch my new '15 Limited.

If there's a MAJOR warranty claim on it, sure I'll have them fix it - and then I'll leave at the dealership on consignment to sell ASAP, seriously!

Old 07-30-2015, 09:49 AM
nightrain116
Cruiser

The owners response to this was well the tech is usually a really good tech. the other response was "hey, when you come back for some major motor work, I can cut you a deal." Long gone are the days when your brethren were more concerned about the ride and getting you back on the road vs. lining their pockets..

Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 AM
nightrain116
Cruiser

AND JUST FOR EVERYONES FYI......... a riding buddy took a test drive on a 15 ultra at a dealer in Janesville Wi. When he got back to the shop there was oil all over the left pipe and a puddle under the primary....... same as my bike I am assuming......... So I would keep an I on your rides.....

Old 07-30-2015, 09:32 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by nightrain116
The owners response to this was well the tech is usually a really good tech. the other response was "hey, when you come back for some major motor work, I can cut you a deal." Long gone are the days when your brethren were more concerned about the ride and getting you back on the road vs. lining their pockets..
When it comes to Harley dealers, I'm not sure that those "long gone days" ever actually existed! As far as I know, the ONLY thing that's ever mattered to dealership owners is lining their pockets with customer's money and to hell with everything and everybody else. They're the lowest form of human scum, right down there with rapists and child molesting deviants, IMHO.

As far as the guy being a really good dealer "tech", I don't think there are any of those either.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:59 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

I can tell you one thing for sure, if my bag didn't close properly after some waterhead slammed on it they would either get me a new one or I'd get in touch with the mothership and see what they had to say about it !!!

Quick Reply: Oil leak on 2015 limited at 33 miles!