Sponsored by:

My Rushmore shutting down help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:14 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts
Lightbulb

Update. Ok bike towed to dealer on Friday 8/7/15. They did not schedule it to be looked at until Monday 8/10/15, I called them at 2 pm and was told Mechanic was on lunch. They called me back at 6:15 pm and told me mechanic never came to work. Tuesday I get a call the bike is showing multiple failures on there computer. I was speaking to the service manager at the time. I said how did you hook up the harley computer to the bike, he said through the ecm. He then said since it has a thunderMax he is not allowed to work on the bike and if I report this to Harley your warranty will no longer be valid. I asked him if that was a threat? He said no he was just telling me what could happen. He told me he was a master tech for 25 years. He told me that they couldn't diagnose the problem with out the computer. I asked what he did in. The. Old days before computers you figured it out. I told him that the ThunderMax had been updated as was not the problem. So I took the bike put the original cement and 02's in. I called to set another appointment on Thursday 8/13/15 I was told there were no appointments until Tuesday 8/18/15. I told him the bike is unsafe and would drop it off. On the way to the dealer with factory ecm it went into Limp mode.
I called at 5:50 yesterday and was told it was ready to be picked up. I asked what was wrong with it and they said it was a pinched wire near the jiffy stand.

Yesterday, I did some research prior to calling them and found that Harley has a problem dating back to 2010 with touring bikes going into Limp mode. What is Limp mode that means with the factory ecm it stops the throttle from working. I person has died allegedly due to this defect according to Google. The ThunderMax was shutting the bike down in its form of Limp mode. According to what I've read the throttle connector actuater which is located behind the air box looses connection over rough rodes and causes the bike to go into Limp mode.

All you tourers out there need to read up on this in case it. Happens to you or your friends. Just google Harley Limp Mode.

Bike is running,but not. Very well have to put the ThunderMax back on.

Have a Great Night!