Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   New issue Odometer reading (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1069489-new-issue-odometer-reading.html)

sammer4u 09-03-2015 08:25 PM

New issue Odometer reading

So today after work I get on my 2015 Ultra Low and fire it up. The infotainment screen does it's thing and every so often it turns to the clock screen while music is playing and bounces back to the normal music screen. As I head out of the parking lot I look down at my odometer and notice the mileage at 4443. Hmmm interesting, hit the toggle button to see the recent mileage on this tank, since I close to half a tank and wanted to see if I was over 100 miles yet. To my surprise the trip meter was at 4443. Toggled to the next one and that was at 4443. And before anyone thinks it, yes I have used the trip meters and reset them. My A should have been at just under 1,000 and B should have been around 100. I have not heard about this happening to anyone, nor have I read anything about this. I thought about resetting one, but figure I will wait and see what the service department has to say about it. I have to make an appointment for the clutch recall anyhow.

So anyone have this happen? How can the trip meters go up to the current mileage? I have never heard of this even for a cage! WTF?

zoozoo 09-03-2015 08:32 PM

You probably need a left hand control pack replacement.

sammer4u 09-03-2015 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by zoozoo (Post 14363233)
You probably need a left hand control pack replacement.

Ahhh the surprises and joys never end!

HazyHog 09-03-2015 09:19 PM

Never heard of that one. Must be something in that Mysterous Red paint.

jpooch00 09-03-2015 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by sammer4u (Post 14363202)
So today after work I get on my 2015 Ultra Low and fire it up. The infotainment screen does it's thing and every so often it turns to the clock screen while music is playing and bounces back to the normal music screen. As I head out of the parking lot I look down at my odometer and notice the mileage at 4443. Hmmm interesting, hit the toggle button to see the recent mileage on this tank, since I close to half a tank and wanted to see if I was over 100 miles yet. To my surprise the trip meter was at 4443. Toggled to the next one and that was at 4443. And before anyone thinks it, yes I have used the trip meters and reset them. My A should have been at just under 1,000 and B should have been around 100. I have not heard about this happening to anyone, nor have I read anything about this. I thought about resetting one, but figure I will wait and see what the service department has to say about it. I have to make an appointment for the clutch recall anyhow.

So anyone have this happen? How can the trip meters go up to the current mileage? I have never heard of this even for a cage! WTF?

Yeah, there's nothing like replacing reliable, simple, mechanical parts with high-tech (POS) electronic crap that nobody can work on or figure out.

For the record, though, this is the first I've heard about this particular issue.

YPD485 09-04-2015 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by sammer4u (Post 14363202)

I had the exact thing with the exact mileage reading happen on my bike about 2 months ago. After shutting the ignition off, letting the system shut down for about 5 minutes, and turning the ignition back on, all has been well since then. I kind of wish the mileage on the odometer stayed at that number since it was much less than what the bike had on it.

But I bet it's just the nature of the beast with the Rushmore bikes. They will always have some gremlins acting up now and then. Same as new cars with all their electronics.

cycle7447 09-04-2015 03:15 PM

Not the first time I heard this - because it actually happened to me when I went to Sturgis in August 2014. I was about to reset my gauges when I got gas and noticed everything had the same miles - the odometer mileage.

I hit reset and took the trips back to "0". It only happened that one time and that was over a year ago. Look at the thread

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...rip-meter.html

FFZHD 09-04-2015 07:31 PM

Happened

Same thing happened on my RGS. I usually keep B at my yearly mileage and reset A at ever refueling. But both were at current mileage. Weird!!!!
Didn't really think anything of it till today when I saw this post.

Watchfuliz 09-04-2015 08:19 PM

Mine did it too only they were showing 9999. Even the range was showing that......LOL. I reset the A & B, cycled the ignition which fixed the total mileage. Then started down the road and watched the range drop very fast back down. It corrected itself after 20 miles or so. It has never happened again and I now have almost 13,000 miles on it in 8 1/2 months.

Hammz 09-04-2015 11:58 PM

Mine did that one time too. Happened when the bike was only a couple months old. Has never happened again. Never had anything replaced or changed.