Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is causing my pain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:40 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 526 Likes on 364 Posts

Could be bad posture, A lot of people tend to hunch and not sit upright like they are suppose to when they ride. I have a Back-A-Line that I use when I take long trips. Try sucking in your gut.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:09 PM
biker_ded
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Dixonk. If you're riding with a wallet in your back pocket, TAKE IT OUT!!! I also can't ride with one in or on anything (bike, car, chair). I had a buddy with me on a long ride once and was complaining about backside pain. I suggested he get rid of the back pocket wallet, to which he did, and couldn't thank me enough.
This fix costs nothing. Start here and see before spending a bunch of $$. However, that would make your wallet slimmer !!

Old 05-02-2016, 03:19 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Plus when you have wallet in front pocket you are less likely to get pick pocketed in some areas. I work a lot in some shady 3rd world countries so it can be a concern.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:24 PM
MDSledhead
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't get me wrong... I don't ride ANYTHING with my wallet in my back pocket - including my office chair. I purposely put it in my back pocket along with somethign else in the other pocket to get my tailbone off the seat.

I may try the backrest approach. Does the same backrest work with both seats (stock and hammock)? Does anyone know if they are the same as on older Ultra's (like 2006)?

Old 05-02-2016, 05:27 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

The newer hammock works with either backrest. I have heard the pre 2014 hammocks do not work with a backrest but have also seen where people have simply used 1/4" bushings at the front of the bracket to make it work. The adjustable is a lot more Money so you have to ask yourself if you think you will need the adjustability. Myself I know I just set it and forget it so the 40 dollar bracket is the better buy.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:36 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Take a look at the Mustang back rest, I like them better, thinner pad, thumb screw adjustment, gives passenger a tad more room

Old 05-02-2016, 05:41 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Received 156 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Try a backrest

I suggest you try a backrest - it will stop you from slouching and keep your posture upright. I love mine - it makes a huge difference to comfort.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:51 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

My Dyna came with a Harley seat of some kind but was not the stock seat. Like you after an hour I was in pain and after more than 2 hours it became nearly unbearable. I bought a Saddleman RS Explorer specifically because the seat is made with split foam in the tailbone area so as not to put pressure there. So far 2 hours is the longest ride but zero pain with this seat so far. Also bought the backrest because of bad lower back issues but with or without I have no tailbone issues on this seat. I just cannot sit long on any of the curved (scooped out) style seats that many bikes come with for long.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 05-02-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:51 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to try a backrest on the cheap (relatively speaking), you might look into the one from Grasshopper Limited:

http://www.grasshopperlimited.com/ha...ouring-models/

I have one, and while its nothing fancy, it does the job. If you search the forum, you can find lots of opinions on it.

Not sure what seats it does or does not work with. I use it with the standard seat on my '14 Limited.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:39 PM
nirschl
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't read all the comments here, but absolutely get a back rest. Love the one from Mustang(cheap and extremely to install and take off).

Also, way out there, but have you ever considered or even heard of the Alexander Technique? Check it out. Might change your life in many ways. Cheers

Quick Reply: What is causing my pain?