Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   Any saddle bag issues with 2016 models? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1131243-any-saddle-bag-issues-with-2016-models.html)

silverking 08-12-2016 01:09 PM

Any saddle bag issues with 2016 models?

Hi there, just bought a 16 FLHR and I was wondering if after 2 recalls people are still having problems with bags coming off. I'd rather not switch to a traditional screw type fastener, but I will for peace of mind if people are still having trouble with the stock set-up.
Thanks

tdkkart 08-12-2016 02:08 PM

My father's 1971 Electra Glide has the same fastening system as is used today, and if he's not careful, the saddlebag will end up rattling around in the bag guard rails.
My 2001 Ultra Classic did the same a couple times, and I've used the bolts in that bike and it's 2 successors ever since.
Use the stock setup and take your chances, or change to bolts.

zz2h33 08-12-2016 02:14 PM

the 16s do not have the issues with the clips coming loose BUT with taking things in and out of the bag it is very easy to bump or snag a clip and have it snap loose without knowing it. i've since gone with bagger bolts but when i still had the clips i checked them every time before i closed the lid.

HarleyArcher 08-12-2016 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My cousin and I were riding last weekend and after he headed home he lost his right side bag just after starting from a stoplight. He has a 2015 RG. $400 to have his bad dad bag repainted and fixed. So, I went right out and checked my 2016 RG to make sure mine were good. Nope found the right side front pin sticking out about 3/4 of the way. I bought everything to bolt mine on. $20k+ motorcycle and Harley can't find something better to keep the bags on. I had also bolted my bags on my 2012 but that was because there were a rash of people popping the clips and stealing bags. I will bolt EVERY set of bags on I own from now on. Just a $15.00 piece of mind IMO.

hbsoldier3 08-12-2016 02:36 PM

I use bolts on the front pin location, and pins in the rear location. They are not going to fall off. Do not ask how I know.

MatteGlide15 08-12-2016 03:29 PM

I got a set of these thrown in for free when I ordered a set of custom bag liners. I trust em a helluva lot more than the factory setup

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...535790889.jpeg

PeteF 08-12-2016 03:42 PM

I've never had an issue with the stock fasteners, but I checked them about every other ride. I went to Lowes and purchased the hardware the bolt them on. It's really no more difficult to get bags on and off with bolts vs the stock DSUS fastners when you consider you've got to lineup the blasted DSUS fasteners just right to get them to clip in. I know the bags are not coming off. $15 at Lowes is cheap insurance. I simply keep an Allen wrench in the saddlebag for convenience.

JMC22 08-12-2016 05:40 PM

Legally I don't believe they could sell you a new bike without fixing a recall issue so you should be ok - but you might want to go with the screw in bolts a lot are suggestion as extra security....I did & feel it was worth it...

Harttoo 08-12-2016 06:12 PM

No problems before or after the recall.You can tell when they latch.

Rhino-1 08-12-2016 06:26 PM

I just don't see an issue... Dzus fasteners are used on aircraft and race bodywork, with the same results each time: unsecured, they will come right off. Tighten them right, and they are good to go at any speed. Some modern Japanese and Euro bikes also use "1/4-turn" fasteners, and with much success. It isn't so much a Harley issue as it is a proper-use or care issue. Maybe we shouldn't be given the option of having quick-detach bags. It isn't that Harley "can't" fix the issue--they can certainly replace the Dzus D-Rings with much less expensive bolts and be done with it. I think the vast majority of bagger riders wouldn't be too happy, though. Just my .02, please don't flame me... ;)