Sponsored by:

Is it a Rushmore?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:38 AM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Is it a Rushmore?

So I see all the threads on the 2017 models here in the Rushmore section. Is the 2017 a Rushmore? I scanned through the HD site and didn't see anything to reference them a Rushmore. Maybe I missed it?

Old 08-28-2016, 06:44 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sunderhill
So I see all the threads on the 2017 models here in the Rushmore section. Is the 2017 a Rushmore? I scanned through the HD site and didn't see anything to reference them a Rushmore. Maybe I missed it?
I noticed the same thing. To me, all the touring bikes should go under touring. If post started with bike year it would be easy finding what your interested in reading. Just a thought

Old 08-28-2016, 06:50 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Hell I don't know. I was thinking the exact same thing. the Milwaukee 8 obviously refers to the engine. MOST of the bike is still a rushmore I guess.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:02 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

I say no. New front suspension, new rear suspension, new engine. Not the same bike anymore. The "Rushmore's" are a three year experiment and now it's over. Let's move on.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:27 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra1
I say no. New front suspension, new rear suspension, new engine. Not the same bike anymore. The "Rushmore's" are a three year experiment and now it's over. Let's move on.

This engine was going to be in the Rushmore 3 years ago. Harley knew the EPA was going to happen. They decided to toss a cam at the stock 103 and call it a Rushmore high output.

Harley had been refining and just sitting on the Milwaukee 8 for 3 years.

Are we calling the engine the Rushmore or the bike?

Is the bike a Rushmore with Milwaukee 8?....

Old 08-28-2016, 07:41 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra1
I say no. New front suspension, new rear suspension, new engine. Not the same bike anymore. The "Rushmore's" are a three year experiment atnd now it's over. Let's move on.
It's the New M-8....2017's....A new selling point...They called it a Rushmore so they can rush them back in for trade...They saw it coming?????Did all the Rushmore owners????

Old 08-28-2016, 07:56 AM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,230 Likes on 2,948 Posts

The Rushmore project was more than throwing a cam in a 103 and calling it HO.

Rushmore project included bigger front forks, vented fairings, screen radios, wethead on Limited & CVO models, one touch saddlebags and other changes. The 17's still have those technologies and a new motor. I'd have to say, they're still Rushmore bikes.

If the M8 motor was to be the motor for a Rushmore platform, wouldn't they have called it a South Dakota city name instead of a Wisconsin one?

Last edited by Dsm Limited; 08-28-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:49 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

It's actually already been produced several years ago but again they were holding it back until they felt like they had to introduce it. Look at all the experimental projects they did in the past they didn't release, several of them at the HD Museum in WI.
Anyways if they had released some of them they knew that the HD faithful wouldn't except them and possibly jump ship, the same goes here. Personally I think they've done an awesome job keeping the traditional 45 degree engine with a modern twist which will propel them ahead of the competition once again !!!!
Remember when the wethead came out ? Yea, I do and I got one and it's one of the best bikes I've had period and the M8 will be also !
OH yea, it's an updated Rushmore too. LOL

Old 08-28-2016, 10:18 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I liked it better when they were just Harley-Davidsons. You either rode one or you didn't. An owner customized his bike to his own tastes.

Now, just in the Touring Family, we have what I guess is called a Touring Model (Pre 2014), Rushmores, Milwaukee 8s, Lows, CVOs, Wet Heads and probably some others I forgot. Good marketing I suppose, but the sub-designations within the Touring line mean nothing to me.

Btw, I saw a few 17s at a dealership today. Look good and heard nothing but good remarks from those who rode them.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:24 AM
fltrxcrzy
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
The Rushmore project was more than throwing a cam in a 103 and calling it HO.

Rushmore project included bigger front forks, vented fairings, screen radios, wethead on Limited & CVO models, one touch saddlebags and other changes. The 17's still have those technologies and a new motor. I'd have to say, they're still Rushmore bikes.

If the M8 motor was to be the motor for a Rushmore platform, wouldn't they have called it a South Dakota city name instead of a Wisconsin one?
Good point...hahaha

Quick Reply: Is it a Rushmore?