Sponsored by:

Trade my 2015 for 2017????

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 03:03 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Trade my 2015 for 2017????

Ok, went to the dealer for a Demo ride this morning - was handed a Ultra Limited and said, go have fun - see ya back when I see ya - could not have been nicer. I now have a 2015 Ultra Limited - before that I had a 04 FLHTCI / 82K on that one - So, I have a little saddle time. I am also a short rider 5'6" and now age 66.

I wear redwing boots with a good solid 2" heel - was able to be 'just at' flat footed on the 17 Limited. Owner started the bike to move it out of the showroom - WOW, as stated the engine did NOT move a bit - As sold as a Honda, lol. and of course the stock sound is quiet. I got on the bike and it felt super smooth at Idle ( now you may or may not care for that - I did not ) Went on a good 1/2 hour ride - surface streets and highway. Tried to find some bumps to 'Feel' the new suspension, compared to my 15 ( I have upgraded my front with Progressive springs and Works Performance on the back ) I also run a Custom Corbin which is firm and will feel more bumps that the BIG Soft stock seat on the 17. With that said. I had just ridden over the roads on my 15 and the front (for me ) was too close to call what is better - I would say the 17 is not significantly better and the back - like I said, with that BIG SOFT stock seat - just not able to tell. Tans was smooth but my 15 is also smooth - Torque??? the 17 'May' have the edge - but it should. Brakes - again, no BIG improvement - I hit them hard at 40 - felt about the same as my 15 - tied to lock rear at 40 - would NOT lock - good thing, lol.
Color combo - LOVED the 17 two tone Black/Gray Denim.

Bottom line, think I will stay with my 15.

Now for a shocker.... Trying to UPGRADE the 17 is going to be interesting with all the EPA crap and Harley.

As we all know, getting a stage one for the 16 and older - starts at about $350 at the dealer for the flash and A/C kit,parts.
Now call your dealer and ask how much for the same 'Stage 1' on your 2017 == are you ready?? $1500 - Holy Crap, WHY - totally different set up on the 17's

Moral - If you want to UPGRADE your new Harley - go find a year end close out on the 16's while you can.. Think that $1500 is BS - Please call your dealer and post what they are charging. I am still in shock, lol

Old 09-03-2016, 03:28 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Yeah, just more MoCo BS based on the new EPA ruling and the fine.

Screw that! I'll be keepin' my '15 from here on out.

For the record, I'd be keeping it anyway, regardless.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:45 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I just returned from demo riding a '17 Limited as well; nice bike and I am one that appreciates a smooth engine so that was a plus from the push of the starter button. Nice upgrade from a stock bike to a stock bike. The only negative I seen was a slighter harder clutch lever. Other than that, the '17 does most everything a little better as far as power and suspension.
The stock exhaust has a funny tone to it but it's the right decibel level for me.

Saying all this, it's not enough of a change to take a bath on my '15 Limited Low with $4,000 in extras.

Having the crank balanced and trued before going to a 117" in my '15 will bring the vibration into check on the twin cam plus after the engine work, the power difference will tilt the scales way in my favor with a lot less money than I'll lose trading in.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:04 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by scj
I just returned from demo riding a '17 Limited as well; nice bike and I am one that appreciates a smooth engine so that was a plus from the push of the starter button. Nice upgrade from a stock bike to a stock bike. The only negative I seen was a slighter harder clutch lever. Other than that, the '17 does most everything a little better as far as power and suspension.
The stock exhaust has a funny tone to it but it's the right decibel level for me.

Saying all this, it's not enough of a change to take a bath on my '15 Limited Low with $4,000 in extras.

Having the crank balanced and trued before going to a 117" in my '15 will bring the vibration into check on the twin cam plus after the engine work, the power difference will tilt the scales way in my favor with a lot less money than I'll lose trading in.
My 15 started life as a LOW also - salesman said from the 04 to the 15 = MILES better in ride even with the low, got a screaming deal one year ago - I ride 2 up 98% of the time - within 200 miles, the LOW came off and got total new front end and Works rear - In fact the complete low forks are in my closet if anyone wants a Low with out all the fuss and muss + $$$

You are right, VERY smooth engine - I started with a 96 FB then to a 2000 WG then 82K on a 04 FLHTC - So, I like the small amount of shake at idle - for me that's a HD - but the Color combo on the 17 WAS the cats meow, lol

Old 09-03-2016, 04:41 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds like you already personalized your bike. I haven't done or needed to do much to mine, other tune, pipes, and adding my driving lights. I'll be staying with my '15.

Bad weather yesterday, put my generator in place, just in case, but it did get nice and cool, before the storm hit, so i was in the garage and did a nice clean and detail, enjoyed every minute of it.

Your 66, i'm 70, I'll be ridding this one to the pearly gates or where ever my destination is.

Generator re-positioned with the exhaust facing out, close the garage door to the top of generator if no power and raining. That Generator is 18 years old and i've had to use it about 7 or 8 times for between 4 and 10 days, part of the beauty of living on the edge of the grid.

J and S jack and a small gas can just for High Test HD fuel, when i'm heading out and want to top it off, generally the can is empty.

Then i cleaned up the bike. You can see the platforms i made for getting the bike out of the chock stand. I drive into the stand but this helps backing the bike out of the stand.

Coors, jazz, wax on wax off, you can definitely enjoy a day in the garage.

Last edited by 68 XLCH; 09-03-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:07 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

68XLCH - because I am a short rider - Seat and bars always get changed - the only other real change was Only slip-on's and rear Works performance (keep the wife happy) These would be done to any new bike - and that's all I plan to do, engine and drive train will stay stock, no real need for more power - but if I could borrow your CC I could do more, lol

Old 09-03-2016, 06:20 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

What's the $1500, air cleaner and tuner is all that is needed. Same on a normal bike, I would never just do a canned Harley flash, always used a tuner and air cleaner. Pipes are an option

Old 09-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I road a beautiful orange 17 SGS today, nice torque from a stock engine. The suspension felt good and solid it show me I need to upgrade my 14 limited fork springs. But my first thought was it sounds like a goldwing, quite and well tuned. Not impressed enough to trade at this time.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:43 PM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrash3
What's the $1500, air cleaner and tuner is all that is needed. Same on a normal bike, I would never just do a canned Harley flash, always used a tuner and air cleaner. Pipes are an option
Actually harley cant do a tuner or slipons that arent epa approved so your really not going to gain any real improvement as anything that is epa legal is going to still be quiet and restrictive. Unless you do not want any warranty when the aftermarket does catch up.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:45 PM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I also think if you have a rushmore wait a little while when folks figure out the 17s cant be updated like the older rushmores the market will come up as well as values.

The following users liked this post:
BlueTK (09-06-2016)

Quick Reply: Trade my 2015 for 2017????