Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I dropped my bike off for new wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:48 AM
HotRodNut
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

While mine was in the shop for other things last week I had them check the front bearings. I feel a vibration and hear a noise when weaving at 25 to 35 mph.
They said they didn't notice it??
I will replace them myself with the "All ***** Racing Wheel Bearing and Seal Kit" as suggested in other posts on this Forum.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:20 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodNut
While mine was in the shop for other things last week I had them check the front bearings. I feel a vibration and hear a noise when weaving at 25 to 35 mph.
They said they didn't notice it??
I will replace them myself with the "All ***** Racing Wheel Bearing and Seal Kit" as suggested in other posts on this Forum.
They are in my Amazon shopping cart right now for the next time I need them. My bike is still under warranty until the end of the month so I'll get them replaced this last time on the MoCo's dime.

I recommend you pull your front wheel and check them yourself.

The following users liked this post:
HotRodNut (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,693 Likes on 827 Posts

I wonder if they would allow you to purchase better bearings, and they install them. I would pay the money if they would do the work. Plus it might save a Chinaman from going blind.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:35 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
I wonder if they would allow you to purchase better bearings, and they install them. I would pay the money if they would do the work. Plus it might save a Chinaman from going blind.

I'd rather install them myself. I suspect that part of the reason the front wheel bearings both failed this time is that when the right one was replaced by the dealer 6000 miles ago they over pressed it into the bore and side loaded the bearings.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:01 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by rwven
under warranty. The ABS bearings on on backorder from the factory. I'm thinking that they are having a lot of failures.
Yep, those Chinese-junk bearings have been giving trouble for years. Apparently, nobody at the MoCo is bright enough to suggest that they go with another vendor. They'd rather just continue to replace them over and over under warranty with more of the same.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:05 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1

Install high-quality wheel bearings? No f-in' way would a dealership EVER do that unless you paid for the labor. Chinese crap is all they're interested in putting on these bikes.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:54 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

I have 23,000 miles on my 2014 FLHTK and no issues so far. Just replaced both tires and no signs of problems at that time.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:40 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

The Indy that replaced mine, right front and both on the rear, believes the right front going bad is primarily from washing it on the stand and it leaning to the left. He says he sees a lot of right front, but seldom the left front.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:45 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,485 Likes on 1,543 Posts

Originally Posted by King-a-ling
The Indy that replaced mine, right front and both on the rear, believes the right front going bad is primarily from washing it on the stand and it leaning to the left. He says he sees a lot of right front, but seldom the left front.
he's full of crap ! the reason the front right goes bad is because the left side abs bearings last longer and seem to be alittle tougher. cheap chinese crap bearings and harley with their head up they ***. this **** has been going on for years now.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:49 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I posted this on another thread -

No matter what brand, I always pop a seal off and check inside new bearings (they push back on easy, never damaged one). A lot of bearings these days have barely enough grease to put a thin film on the *****, and in my experience that won't hold up for a wheel bearing. A lot have clear grease that looks like vaseline; I haven't been able to find out what that is, and always clean it out and use a quality big name brand synthetic grease. I've opened a couple bearings that were dry inside, though they weren't for Harleys.

I've also seen plastic spacers between the ***** in some Harley wheel bearings that were slowly grinding up into the grease (clear stuff again). They hadn't gone bad yet, but I trashed those. I only use bearings with sturdy metal ball cages; some look flimsy, and I won't use those, either.

If you get good bearings not made in China, with enough good grease in them, just pop a seal every tire change and make sure the grease is clean, they should last a long time.

Those 3/4 inside diameter bearings with metric outside diameters are hard to find, but I'd use All ***** before Harley, even though they're Chinese, too. At least they have solid ball cages and double seals, but use Chevron grease recommended for electric motors; I'd feel better about them if they had something like Mobil 1 synthetic in them, but I haven't seen any negative reports about them, so guess that holds up ok.

It's obvious Harley is getting bearings from a manufacturer with questionable quality control. They can get over 100,000 miles and most folks seem to have no problems, but too many people are losing bearings under 20,000 miles. If I bought a new Harley, I'd change the bearings before I rode it farther than I'd want to trailer it home. I realize not everyone is able to do that, I'm just lucky enough to have the tools and a helper that works for cheese puffs and a can of pop.

The following users liked this post:
rwven (09-14-2016)

Quick Reply: I dropped my bike off for new wheel bearings