Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 FLHTK upgrade suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Ozbernie
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I may be off topic a little but seriously folks I am confused at the number of posts relating to suspension and the serious lack of knowledge as to the facts about suspension. More frustrating is when actual indrustry repected experts offer real advice and expertise people dont actually value that. Quality costs, stuff wears out if it actually gets used and there is no such thing as set and forget. Sheesh!!!

Old 09-17-2016, 06:48 PM
Ozbernie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
If you go to Ohlins 13" shocks, like 3-3s from Howard at motorcyclemetal, they will sit about like 12" shocks, but have a much nicer ride.

I put them on my '15 Limited Low & the ride height is pretty much unchanged.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Old 09-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Ozbernie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Who would ever tell you with a straight face that Touring shocks need rebuilding after 20K miles? That simply is not true unless you do not clean the shocks. Any shock other than HD air shocks with the bellows get dirt drug up from the shaft past the scraper seal and into the shock oil. Every shock without a rubber boot. If you maintain the shocks by keeping the shafts and threaded body clean I have seen on average 35K Miles but I just did a set with 40K+ miles on them and the oil and cavity was very clean. Track or motocross shocks are a different story entirely. I do this job virtually every day. Every shocks oil degrades with heat as that is just the nature of the world we live in. I do not know who told you that a shock costs only $100 to rebuild them. Maybe that is that companies labor rate only.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:41 PM
Terry G
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i called Ohlin direct and they told me about the rebuild cost. also heard it from someone else

Old 09-17-2016, 10:03 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

all depends on who's 'cool-aid' you drink - like stated, this topic has really been beat to death - if a person were to search this topic, there factory warranty would run out before they finish - call the leading builders and see who fits with you - there are several to talk to. get ready to fork out about 600+ for a decent pair of rear.

and FULLY understand Pre-load and understand how to set that up right.

The following users liked this post:
Terry G (09-19-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 11:45 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Regarding wear, Legend suspension stands behind their products with a lifetime warranty. If you wear them down over the years you can simply call Legend for return authorization. Customer pays to ship back, Legend rebuilds and ships back at no charge, as long as the original owner owns them. Don't take my word, call or email Legend as I did.

Not saying others are not great, just facts worth knowing.

The following users liked this post:
Terry G (09-19-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 12:44 AM
staleyc806
Intermediate
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Save your money and go to the darkside. I ride a 2015 FLHTK with stock suspension. Been riding for 35 years. Smoothest and most stable ride I have ever found and am yet to find a downside to it. 100 bucks for the tire and about 30 minutes to change it out. 3 ounces of beads and go ride.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:35 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Real Info

Originally Posted by Terry G
i called Ohlin direct and they told me about the rebuild cost. also heard it from someone else
Ohlins charges for their simple type shock (each) $100.00 for labor only. You must buy wear parts that is not included in the labor costs. Call Ohlins and specifically ask that question of what it costs to rebuild a shock at their shop including common wear parts than you must include which exact shock you have to be rebuilt. A HD-022 is cheaper to rebuild than a HD-159 for example. I do not do Sport Bikes but maybe that is their rebuild rate (20K) for street bikes, track type (asphalt) bikes are rebuilt after each event (weekend for example) if you wish to stand a chance or winning at the big show.

That is your real answer. This does not include the hard parts damaged due to accident, misuse, incorrect installation, or not rebuilding them in time and letting the dirt wear out hard parts. I have rebuilt a pair of shocks with approximately 18K miles (according to the rider) and he had not reinstalled the shocks properly as well as never maintaining or cleaning the shocks. As stated, any shock will suffer under these conditions as all shocks have scraper seals, O rings, and bushings on the shaft, dirt's gateway to enter into your shock's oil. The billows at the bottom an air shock is excluded. Many companies offer a "rubber" that goes over a coil over (shock) but it holds in heat which is worse as dirt can be cleaned and thin oil due to retained heat can not.

The aforementioned rider puts on a lot of miles on his bike and trades it in with (the last one I knew about) 120K miles in two years of ownership and the dealer gave him junk price as a trade in for a new bike. His idea of washing his bike is riding in the rain. I follow some of his journey as he provided me with a link from his SPOT (SPOT Tracking automatically sends your GPS location waypoint to a Google Map™) and with Google Earth & maps you can actually look at street level & see what he sees.

Where I get my information is where I actually rebuild shocks as I am a Factory trained & Authorized Ohlins Service center. I also know what OhlinsUSA charges for rebuilding a shock. I have & do the job, my information is not learned from just staying at a Holiday Inn.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:33 AM
Terry G
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howard, thanks for clarifying that the rebuild cost is AT LEAST 100.00 per NOT including parts.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:23 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry G
Howard, thanks for clarifying that the rebuild cost is AT LEAST 100.00 per NOT including parts.
"Each".

I just installed Progressive 444s. I'm extremely pleased with the ride. Cost $483 to my door.

The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
Terry G (09-19-2016), waldoe (02-06-2021)