Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14" Pro Action shocks on a SG

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 02:01 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

not to start an argument, but why is the adjustment on the Progressive, Legends, Super Shox, and the Pro Actions so much easier and better than the Ohlins if the Ohlins are the “pinnacle of current technology” ? Seems to be a bit of an oxymoron to say that they have the most rudimentary adjusting mechanism while harboring the best of the best components insides.

Its a common problem. The last person to chime in with galled threads actually removed the shocks from the bike, cleaned the threads, lubrucated the threads, then tried to adjust the shocks on a lift and still destroyed the threads. What other precautions must one take ?

Ohlins, while a good shock, don’t represent the pinnacle of current technology. They know they have a problem and are addressing it. Pro Action will not have that issue and are easier to adjust to a wonderful and stable ride

Last edited by lyork; 07-12-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:06 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Actually that's how I set my shocks - by the zip tie method, which is the same idea but using the zip tie as an indicator instead of the bumper. You want to use all of your travel. But that doesn't mean there isn't sag. I guarantee you, with any decent shock, there is. In this case Pro Action calculates it using your stats and sends them with the estimated sag already dialed in. But they're smart not to spend too much time on sag (like one noteworthy sponsor here) because in the end, it's going to be adjusted away from that anyway. And if you chose your spring rates correctly, it will likely be close to 1/3rd the total travel. In this case - about an inch.
Originally Posted by jdw1

Well that’s all fine in there theory on how there shocks are set up for individual ride specs sent, I can assure that the shocks I ordered for my wife’s 16 SGS arrived 3 turns to tight for me and I’m 50 lbs heavier than her. Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not taking issue with you or your situation with your shocks. I’m just saying they where a long way from close as far as I’m concerned, in fact I think I only have one or two turns left to go soft to play with.

One thing they need to do is document on your installation instructions is how your shocks are set up for delivery for you for future reference for the owner. Spring weigh, spring setting turns, dampening settings per each shock. Jmo!

The other thing I thought was interesting, nowhere was it mentioned in the “Tools needed for installation” was there any mention of a torque wrench until the last steps of the installation instructions.
I don’t think that’s to much to ask for for $800.00

Once again, JMO!

sorry one more thing, personally I don’t like the zip tie method just because of the chance of damaging the shaft cutting the zip ties off. JMO

Originally Posted by bundy43
I would send them back and get my money back.
Originally Posted by lyork

I agree on sending Ohlins back for a refund. Until they resolve the design of the shock body and collar, it’s only a matter of time before the threads are destroyed
Don't think they are talking about Ohlins.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:33 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Don't think they are talking about Ohlins.
I’ve now owned and ridden these three shocks. Ohlins. legends, and Pro Actions. All good shocks, the legends and ohlns were very comparable in ride quality, with the edge to Legends in going from one up to two up. (Heavy package, 480lbs, Ultra Limited) Adjustment wise..no comparison , the Ohlins leave a lot to be desired here. Again...they are aware of the problem and complaints and have came out with a re-designed collar.

Pro Actions are quite a bit better in all aspects than both of the others. I really see no need do adjust back and forth, but if I do...it’s a quick 15 second adjust after I remove the bags. Although I can do it now just leaning the bag out. Ride quality is on a whole different level both comfort wise and handling wise compared to both of those, although I will say the Ohlins felt pretty darn good in the corners too...but I’m not much for riding the curves hard. I certainly wouldn’t do the curves hard two up.

Pro Actions
1, super smooth ride
2. Easy to adjust for a comfortable ride preload and dampening wise
3. Preload adjustment ...phenomenal! Clamping adjusting collar and hard anodized body is a win win in this department
4. Limited lifetime warranty including rebuilds. No one else can touch that
5. Customer service... I had no problems with Ohlins direct, they were friendly and helpful. I used my local dealer for legends, and DJ and George are quite literally the best people I’ve dealt with for customer service and tech support on anything in quite a while.

If you find your Ohlins hard to adjust, please call and get the Teflon lined adjusting nut before you ruin the shock body. That’s a $250 repair that can now be avoided

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 04:48 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

not to start an argument, but why is the adjustment on the Progressive, Legends, Super Shox, and the Pro Actions so much easier and better than the Ohlins if the Ohlins are the “pinnacle of current technology” ? Seems to be a bit of an oxymoron to say that they have the most rudimentary adjusting mechanism while harboring the best of the best components insides.

Its a common problem. The last person to chime in with galled threads actually removed the shocks from the bike, cleaned the threads, lubrucated the threads, then tried to adjust the shocks on a lift and still destroyed the threads. What other precautions must one take ?

Ohlins, while a good shock, don’t represent the pinnacle of current technology. They know they have a problem and are addressing it. Pro Action will not have that issue and are easier to adjust to a wonderful and stable ride
I don't know man........I have owned a bunch of different brands of bikes and we're talking street, dirt, and everything in between - Ohlins is the go to shock for the vast majority of riders. And frankly, you're the only guy I know of on any forum I'm a member of (I'm embarrassed to say how many) that doesn't think they are at the top of the food chain and who goes on about that adjustment collar. The collar is little different on any shock they make by the way.

Again, I prefer my Progressive shocks on my Harley. I personally do not think Ohlins has heavy, short stroke cruisers figured out like Progressive does. But that's just my ride preference. Many really like them.

As far as a "known problem", again, I've never heard that they know they have a problem and are addressing it. Do you have sources for this?

Old 07-12-2018, 05:35 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

I don't know man........I have owned a bunch of different brands of bikes and we're talking street, dirt, and everything in between - Ohlins is the go to shock for the vast majority of riders. And frankly, you're the only guy I know of on any forum I'm a member of (I'm embarrassed to say how many) that doesn't think they are at the top of the food chain and who goes on about that adjustment collar. The collar is little different on any shock they make by the way.

Again, I prefer my Progressive shocks on my Harley. I personally do not think Ohlins has heavy, short stroke cruisers figured out like Progressive does. But that's just my ride preference. Many really like them.

As far as a "known problem", again, I've never heard that they know they have a problem and are addressing it. Do you have sources for this?
they’ve lined the adjusting collar with Teflon to reduce the friction and material transfer that takes place when adjusting these. They are available for $75.00 (?) from Ohlins in North Carolina.

in off-road Ohlins aren’t considered “top of the food chain” by any stretch. We also don’t use them much in drag racing either. I know Ohlins is pretty prevelant in off road bicycles and on road racing though. Pro Action has been around for decades in off road motorcycle racing. They designed and built this Street series shock from the ground up for Harley’s and it shows in how well they work in these big heavy bikes with relatively short stroke shocks.

All of the aftermarket shocks perform SOOO much better than the stock shocks that you really can’t go wrong with any on them. The lack of hard anodizing on the Ohlins still has a lot of us scratching our heads, since the inside bore will wear quicker without the hardness and lubricity that it provides. It would also also help greatly with the adjusting nut. Now..since Ohlins sources their parts from many different countries and regulations are different in the EU...it might be that it’s not feasible or simply cost prohibited that they use a Type III coating;

Old 07-12-2018, 05:42 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,733 Likes on 1,552 Posts

In the hundred years of me watching 'that guy' sell shocks on here I can only remember one maybe two people with the collar issue.

True to form, 'that guy' lambasted them and called them idiots who can't read or isn't worth his time (which is his typical response) but still.... only one or two collar issues. That I can remember....

Lots of Ohlins shocks out there too...

Old 07-12-2018, 06:28 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
In the hundred years of me watching 'that guy' sell shocks on here I can only remember one maybe two people with the collar issue.

True to form, 'that guy' lambasted them and called them idiots who can't read or isn't worth his time (which is his typical response) but still.... only one or two collar issues. That I can remember....

the latest guy has had it happen twice now. This time to try and head off it happening again he did the following

1. Removed shocks from bike
2. Cleaned and lubricated threads
3. Re-installed on the bike, with tire off the ground
4. Tried to adjust and trashed the threads...again

now...I did a video showing how hard it was to adjust the Ohlins versus the Pro Actions. They have simply designed a much, much better shock in that regards. I also prefer the ride characteristics of the Pro Actions and Legends for my style of riding. (Heavy package, two up, looking for comfort). Your mileage may vary in what you’re looking for there.

I also don’t care for the recommendations that the Ohlins get rebuilt every 10,000 miles.

Again..and I can’t stress this enough. These are ALL great shocks compared to stock.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:41 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

they’ve lined the adjusting collar with Teflon to reduce the friction and material transfer that takes place when adjusting these. They are available for $75.00 (?) from Ohlins in North Carolina.

in off-road Ohlins aren’t considered “top of the food chain” by any stretch........
You're right. Ohlins makes low tier garbage. Enjoy your day.

Originally Posted by lp

Yeah.......there is that. I've had many an offline conversation with folks who just want the basics without the little kid getting a lecture feeling.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:17 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

You're right. Ohlins makes low tier garbage. Enjoy your day.
Never said that..thank you though. Enjoy your day as well

Old 07-13-2018, 01:41 PM
motoguy82
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keeping entertained over here.

Quick Reply: 14" Pro Action shocks on a SG