Sponsored by:

== New Twin Cooled Water Pump Part# ==

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 04:00 PM
kennyd4110
Advanced
Received 40 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
On a 14-16, did the thermostat control the radiator fans and the pump ?
No, it did not.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:30 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Seems a bit odd to me...

If there is no thermostat, it seems the ECU would have to turn the pump on & off. But... there is no mention of a software flash in the instructions that I can see? What a I missing?

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
Doesn't the ECU turn the fans on and off when needed? If it does the new wiring harness may connect the pump to turn on with the fans. just guessing. But if that's the case the pump wouldn't kick on until the motor got hot

Old 09-02-2018, 07:38 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
This is exactly what should be done, after all these pumps were defective right out of the door. There are many here who have paid big $ to have them replaced. Every Rush More bike from 14 to 16 should get this kit for free.
Total fantasy right there.

The one on my Limited was still working fine on the last ride, but it's nice to know that if/when it craps out, there's one that's (supposedly) better out there. Looks like quite a bit of stuff is replaced with the install, though, with plenty of opportunities to produce new leaks etc.

Time will tell if this design is any better than the original, I guess. Hope it is, for those who have been having problems.

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-02-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:35 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mcouture
son-of-a......I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago!
Me too!

Old 09-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hardheaded
I thought about this also. Maybe they just figure to have it run all the time. Either that or the pump itself has some electronics in it to cycle the pump on and off. You still have the temp sensor in the loop. Maybe the pump has a buildt in thermostat. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
the old 14-16 pumps run all the time by design. the separate thermostat just controls water in and out of the radiators.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
Doesn't the ECU turn the fans on and off when needed? If it does the new wiring harness may connect the pump to turn on with the fans. just guessing. But if that's the case the pump wouldn't kick on until the motor got hot
There is a temp switch in the left radiator that turns the fans on and off. its a simple switch like the temp sensor on a car radiator electric fan

Old 09-02-2018, 03:44 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,486 Likes on 1,543 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Total fantasy right there.

The one on my Limited was still working fine on the last ride, but it's nice to know that if/when it craps out, there's one that's (supposedly) better out there. Looks like quite a bit of stuff is replaced with the install, though, with plenty of opportunities to produce new leaks etc.

Time will tell if this design is any better than the original, I guess. Hope it is, for those who have been having problems.
I know i'm just dreaming here, but they should do something for the people who bought these defective pumps. One can only hope the new design is better.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:52 PM
2015UltraLimited
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I hope so as well.

Mine went out a month outside of the factory warranty @~11,000 miles and cost me the last two days of a 7 day trip.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
There is a temp switch in the left radiator that turns the fans on and off. its a simple switch like the temp sensor on a car radiator electric fan
When you have the motor off and ignition on and hold the throttle open over half way the fan and pump turns on. Wouldn't that be done by the ecm?

Old 09-02-2018, 07:32 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
When you have the motor off and ignition on and hold the throttle open over half way the fan and pump turns on. Wouldn't that be done by the ecm?
I would think so, but that would also mean a software update needed to make the ECM control the pump with temperature changes.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Quick Reply: == New Twin Cooled Water Pump Part# ==