Sponsored by:

Assembly Lube or Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Dawg 689
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assembly Lube or Oil Leak?

I have a 2014 Ultra Classic with 700 miles that appears to have some oil leakage.
Both base cylinder gaskets exhibit leakage onto the lower engine case. Mostly on the left side more than on the right. Seems to be completely around both bases. Also the bolts on the front cylinder rocker box have an oily seepage around the recess area onto the cylinder.
Dealer says it is assembly lube and will stop after it all dries away. All cylinder/head bolts were checked for proper torque and found to be within spec.
What to use to remove this substance??

Also had to replace the switch for cruise/rear brake light from the front brake lever. Had no rear brake lights and cruise would not disengage by squeezing front brake lever. Had to roll off throttle or use the cruise cancel switch.

W O W now I feel better

Any thoughts or prior experience is appreciated.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Punkinslinger
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oily film can be removed by rinsing it all down with a quality aerosol product such as "Brakekleen" or the like, any kind with the little plastic tube taped to the side of the can. Let it dry well, only takes a couple minutes to evaporate, then run it and see.

Just venting about the electrical cruise issues ?

No answer for that, warranty issue.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Dawg 689
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Punkinslinger
Oily film can be removed by rinsing it all down with a quality aerosol product such as "Brakekleen" or the like, any kind with the little plastic tube taped to the side of the can. Let it dry well, only takes a couple minutes to evaporate, then run it and see.

Just venting about the electrical cruise issues ?

No answer for that, warranty issue.
I was and man do I feel Better

Thanks

Old 03-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some spray on engine degreaser from any auto parts store. Should do the job. It probably is just greasy from assembly. I have heard about this quite a few times on the forum. You might also want to take it to another shop and get a second opinion.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:17 AM
Kurt Baker
Stage I

FLHTK First 30 miles I smelled oil until stopping to talk first pictures. Puddle of fresh oil dripping all over driveway. Had trailered back to shop for oil leak. Minor trouble of O-ring pinched when assembled.
Today I picked up from dealer again after realizing I had no security system. I'm venting a little and now hope not to see service again until 1000 mile checkup.
To answer your question I would think the dealer would be glad to clean up the oil mess if he isn't trying to BS you.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:26 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

When mine was new I also had residue on the base of my cylinders. After a couple of cleanings it went away. I used simple green and a tooth brush

Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 513 Likes on 445 Posts

I had the same experience with the front brake light switch not activating the brake light and therefore not disengaging the cruise control. Took it to the dealer the next day and of course everything worked when they rolled it into the shop. The tech checked the switch assembly and found nothing wrong. He could not get it to malfunction again. It has been working fine since then, about 6 months.