Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14 FLHTK Clutch Problems again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 AM
alstrud
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 14 FLHTK Clutch Problems again!!!

I have 675kms on this bike. Saturday, the clutch master cylinder decided to stop working. Out of the blue I had no clutch. Luckily, I wasn't far from home and limped back without incident Just got off the phone with the dealer...they confirmed the recall was done prior to delivery, but are now saying that it sounds like I'll need a new master cylinder. Is anyone else having any problems after the recall work???

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM
BlackSpecial
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've put 1500 miles on mine since the recall was performed. No issues.

You can go on the HD website and punch in your VIN and see if there's any info there.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...bmLocale=en_US

Old 03-31-2014, 01:38 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

No problems before or after recall work was performed.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:29 PM
alstrud
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What color should the brake fluid be in the clutch master cylinder? Mine is cloudy grey...

Dealer has sent me a technical service bulletin that states the lower clutch cylinder could be leaking on the right side of the transmission where the clutch line connects. Mine looks dry down there. Their next solution was to drain the fluid completely and refill it to eliminate any air. Number 1...where did the air come from if that's the problem? Number 2...If it was air, wouldn't it pump up after several pumps? I get nothing at all. I had the cover off the master cylinder and slowly squeezed the clutch...no air bubbles. The dealer said Master Cylinder, but they called Harley and the moco told them it couldn't be...it has to be air in the fluid or a leak at the bottom. Has anyone had any problems like this?

Thanks

Old 04-01-2014, 10:29 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes... mine went out a second time at 5 thousand miles... I was on the freeway in stop an go traffic it was quite an ordeal. The recall is just to replace the plunger in the master cylinder... the second time they replaced the whole master cylinder

Old 04-01-2014, 11:07 AM
JoeFLHX
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine went in and game out just as bad after the recall work.

What I found was that there was a crap load of air in there. I back bleed it by pumping the clutch lever and then holding it until I no longer saw any bubbles, and repeated this many many times, it took 30+ minutes. AND I evacuated the old fluid as I was doing it cause the old fluid keep turning cloudy with whatever it was.

I know you can bleed it and that what needs to be done,, I did not want to deal with and the boys at the shop obviously did not do it correctly either.

NO problems since I did 3K ago

Just know one or two pumps is no going to get the air out, 100+ will

Old 04-01-2014, 11:20 AM
curtis myers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alstrud
I have 675kms on this bike. Saturday, the clutch master cylinder decided to stop working. Out of the blue I had no clutch. Luckily, I wasn't far from home and limped back without incident Just got off the phone with the dealer...they confirmed the recall was done prior to delivery, but are now saying that it sounds like I'll need a new master cylinder. Is anyone else having any problems after the recall work???

Thanks.
H A V A N A, C U B A

Your located in CUBA?
How did you get the snow down there?

Old 04-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by alstrud
What color should the brake fluid be in the clutch master cylinder? Mine is cloudy grey...

Dealer has sent me a technical service bulletin that states the lower clutch cylinder could be leaking on the right side of the transmission where the clutch line connects. Mine looks dry down there.
Mine looks grey. Where exactly does the clutch line go in at? Can't seem to locate it. Mine has had a smell of hot hydraulic fluid off and on since it was new. Never been able to locate where it's coming from. Maybe it's the clutch line in the TSB.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:46 PM
JoeFLHX
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the tranny side cover

Old 04-01-2014, 02:05 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Hey, I didn't know it snowed in Cuba!!

Quick Reply: 14 FLHTK Clutch Problems again!!!