2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm trying to be realistic about speakers.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:41 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Ultraman
The audio thread is huge and most of those guys want to change to their favorite amp speaker pair anyway. To spend major bucks on motorcycle audio is silly imo cz you can't appreciate it anyway. Loud and without audible distortion is what I want. So start small. Will a new software version help the dsp to solve problem? Will just speaker upgrade do it? Do u need the full boom upgrade? Let's just fix the problem.
As other's have stated, read the audio thread. To answer your questions quickly, no the new software does nothing for the DSP, that's built in the radio and there for a reason, make cheap components sound good. Speaker upgrade, depends on what your looking for, some will say yes.. BOOM Upgrade- its all up to the individual. IMO its not worth bucks and can do much better.. GO READ THE THREAD !!!!!!

Old 06-13-2014, 07:57 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 445 Posts

The audio thread is huge and most of those guys want to change to their favorite amp speaker pair anyway.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I had missed the rushmore audio thread in looking.... But this solution sounds good from here:
RF PBR 300x2 Amp - $156
Infinity Kappa 62.9 Speakers - $65
Harley Boom Grills (Speakers will not fit stock grills) - I think they are $50 each

Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

^ that's what I plan to go with.

I just want to hear the tunes clearly at highway speeds. No need to be pumpin bass in da hood.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk
OK. I'm a bit of an audiophile (read, snob) when it comes to sound quality and I fully realize that riding on a motorcycle isn't a great listening environment......

But the stock speakers, which I've read are an improvement over prior years, just don't cut it. I'm not ready to spend a lot of money but I would like to upgrade the speakers IF the aftermarkets are a LOT better than stock.

I'm starting to enjoy having a soundtrack on my rides and would really like to hear it better....
I am glad you qualified your question with the knowledge that a motorcycle is not a great listening environment...especially at any speed over 30 mph. That said, I found the Harley BOOM audio to be worth every penny on my 2012 Limited. Of all the upgrades to that bike, the audio system is the only one I miss on the new Ultra. I am sure there are other companies that make good audio equipment for motorcycles but it seems like everytime one of my friends buys the aftermarket stuff it does not stand up to the motorcycle environment as well as my BOOM system did.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The audio thread is huge and most of those guys want to change to their favorite amp speaker pair anyway.
Ah...no, most of "us guys" want exactly what your following statement says...
Loud and without audible distortion is what I want.
I don't think anyone is playing favorites here. A few of us do this audio tweaking as kind of a hobby and we pass our findings on to the masses here on the forum. We find out what works, and what works best, and everyone reaps the benefits.

To spend major bucks on motorcycle audio is silly imo cz you can't appreciate it anyway.
Not true at all. Just ask UltraNutz. It's true your not going to get the same effect out of a motorcycle stereo like you would out of a car, but you can absolutely make one hell of an improvement in volume and clarity.

To spend major bucks on motorcycle audio is silly imo cz you can't appreciate it anyway.
That is the ENTIRE point of the audio thread. Most of us just want to build a better stereo with more volume, clarity and bass response, without breaking the bank. You can build a FAR superior stereo system with a little DIY without spending the crazy money that HD and others (J&M, Cycle Sounds to name a few) want for their "solution in box" systems.

You can spend under $400 bucks for an amp and speakers and GREATLY improve your sound. Try doing that with a BOOM! or J&M system.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:29 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
Ah...no, most of "us guys" want exactly what your following statement says... I don't think anyone is playing favorites here. A few of us do this audio tweaking as kind of a hobby and we pass our findings on to the masses here on the forum. We find out what works, and what works best, and everyone reaps the benefits.

Not true at all. Just ask UltraNutz. It's true your not going to get the same effect out of a motorcycle stereo like you would out of a car, but you can absolutely make one hell of an improvement in volume and clarity.

That is the ENTIRE point of the audio thread. Most of us just want to build a better stereo with more volume, clarity and bass response, without breaking the bank. You can build a FAR superior stereo system with a little DIY without spending the crazy money that HD and others (J&M, Cycle Sounds to name a few) want for their "solution in box" systems.

You can spend under $400 bucks for an amp and speakers and GREATLY improve your sound. Try doing that with a BOOM! or J&M system.

Nicely Put!!

Old 06-13-2014, 04:20 PM
JakeyL.
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goldcon
I upgraded to the boom speakers and the boom amp, not the best but it doesn't really matter with my thunderheader exhaust and all the noises on a motorcycle. The upgrade is deffinetly worth the investment, now i can hear the music on the highway, I could barely hear it before the upgrade. I would not hesitate to do it again, no regrets. Hope this helps
Question: So the Limited comes with the larger Boom screen. Does this also mean it comes with an upgraded amp and or speakers? The HD web site is not clear... To me at least. Thanks

Old 06-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Bigboyride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JakeyL.
Question: So the Limited comes with the larger Boom screen. Does this also mean it comes with an upgraded amp and or speakers? The HD web site is not clear... To me at least. Thanks
I'm afraid not... No amp and only 5.25" speakers on the limited.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:15 PM
njstreetglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk
Thanks for all the input. I had missed the rushmore audio thread in looking.... But this solution sounds good from here:
RF PBR 300x2 Amp - $156
Infinity Kappa 62.9 Speakers - $65
Harley Boom Grills (Speakers will not fit stock grills) - I think they are $50 each
i just installed this same exact set up on my 14sgs.
a couple things that i did :

i installed my speakers on the inside of the speak pods so i DID NOT have to get new harley boom grills
i also intalled a magic box from cycle sounds so that way you DO NOT have to get the HU flashed. its plug and play from your HU to the amp (using the same input rca harness that comes with the PBR DO NOT CUT rca cables off)
I also ran a remote wire from the PBR amp to the cigarette lighter.

Just finished last night and i am extremly happy with what i did. LOUD & CLEAR.

If you want something that will not cost you much and is easy to install:
pbr300x2
infinity kappa 62.11i
magic box

is all you need you will not be disappointed

Quick Reply: I'm trying to be realistic about speakers.....