Sponsored by:

GPS Address Keys

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Motorcygirl
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Address Keys

Hi, I have a 2014 Triglide with the 6.5 Boombox and I am having problems inputting addresses in the NAV system. It will accept some address names but sometimes the keyboard will only let me me put in certain letters or numbers. For example; I may want to put in 1510 Main St and after I put in the 15, only numbers 2 - 8 will be lit up to be able to choose them, so I am unable to choose the 1 again. Another example is I try to type in a street name and I type the first few letters and a preprogramed name comes up, so I backspace to try to put in the name I want but only a few letters on the keyboard are highlighted and not the ones I need. This is very frustrating, especially on trips! Is there anyone that can help me with this?
Thank you

Old 08-17-2014, 09:41 PM
coriobay
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The address does not exist in the data base
You are searching outside your state you bought the bike in
If i search for addresses outside my home state it does the same, i have to select Australia Map and it works after that.
USA May be differant.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coriobay
The address does not exist in the data base
You are searching outside your state you bought the bike in
If i search for addresses outside my home state it does the same, i have to select Australia Map and it works after that.
USA May be differant.
Yeah, er no. Probably not. USA bikes are supposed to have full North America maps.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:26 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorcygirl
Hi, I have a 2014 Triglide with the 6.5 Boombox and I am having problems inputting addresses in the NAV system. It will accept some address names but sometimes the keyboard will only let me me put in certain letters or numbers. For example; I may want to put in 1510 Main St and after I put in the 15, only numbers 2 - 8 will be lit up to be able to choose them, so I am unable to choose the 1 again. Another example is I try to type in a street name and I type the first few letters and a preprogramed name comes up, so I backspace to try to put in the name I want but only a few letters on the keyboard are highlighted and not the ones I need. This is very frustrating, especially on trips! Is there anyone that can help me with this?
Thank you
I know exactly what you mean. I've run into multiple situations where the address is not in the Nav system data base.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:41 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Be sure you are using the official mailing addresses. Often people will give addresses with the name of an area or suburb when in fact the mailing address may be the actual city/Town.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
Be sure you are using the official mailing addresses. Often people will give addresses with the name of an area or suburb when in fact the mailing address may be the actual city/Town.
True...this will also occur when using Route #'s (i.e. 112 Route 43 North) or when using the North or South bound streets (i.e. 112 South Broad Street).

Old 08-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal

A few weeks ago, I wanted to head to the intersection of 2 roads in the town of Tremont - or what I thought was the town of Tremont - about 30 miles from home. As I was entering the town name: T-r-e-m; the screen would jump & want me to select "Tremont Valley". I didn't think that was right but figured I try it anyway. Then I couldn't find the intersecting roads. Finally I just selected "Tremont Valley" & said "GO", figuring it would at least get me to the center of town. I took off as it was calculating & went just a few miles before I knew something was very wrong: the GPS was taking me in the wrong direction & wanted me to drive over 125 miles.

Upon further review: "Tremont" is not a town, but a borough of Cleveland. Once I entered "Cleveland" the intersection, and correct routing on how to get there, came up immediately.

When you enter a city name, the GPS will only allow you the option of entering street names it has in the database for that city & will grey-out letters on the keyboard that cannot be used to spell one of those street names. When you get the street name entered, it will only allow you to enter an address number it has in the system for that street in that city & will grey-out those numbers that cannot be used for one of those numbers.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 AM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinch
When you enter a city name, the GPS will only allow you the option of entering street names it has in the database for that city & will grey-out letters on the keyboard that cannot be used to spell one of those street names. When you get the street name entered, it will only allow you to enter an address number it has in the system for that street in that city & will grey-out those numbers that cannot be used for one of those numbers.
Great explanation. What I learned long ago was to start broad. For example, make sure the state is chosen first, then the city, then the street, and finally the address. Let us know if it helps.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:52 AM
2014streetglide
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm pretty sure you have to make sure your in the correct state for the address first and then start with the actual address.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014streetglide
I'm pretty sure you have to make sure your in the correct state for the address first and then start with the actual address.
2014streetglide: I believe you can do exactly as you say - if what you mean is choose the state, then the street address - but then the system will go through each & every city trying to find that address & it can take a while, especially if you've entered something that it doesn't have in the database.

Just to emphasize: as baldguy13 said, it is best to go broad first and whittle it down as far as you can from there.

Quick Reply: GPS Address Keys