Sponsored by:

****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:15 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayman1224
I don't know if it's normal or not, but I started mine in gear the other day and it moved forward. I've had the recall done too.

Same here, started it in gear and it crept forward a foot or so, it was unusually cold that morning so I thought that might have had something to do with it. Had the recall done last week...

Old 09-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Yeah mine creeps fwd. Starting in gear. Mine was cool but not cold.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:38 AM
babygorilla
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayman1224
I don't know if it's normal or not, but I started mine in gear the other day and it moved forward. I've had the recall done too.
Mine does that, when starting in gear, but no recall done. Just creeps forward real soft for an inch or two. Only happens when I don't have front brake applied (of course) which I mostly do.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Don81
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's perfectly normal to feel the drag of the clutch when starting the bike in gear. Wet bike clutches aren't like dry car clutches, the drag/friction isn't completely eliminated when you pull in the clutch, which is one of the reasons they're wet, it's just greatly reduced.

It takes more torque to get something slipping than to maintain it slipping. When you start it in gear you'll feel a stronger initial pull followed by a very weak pull.

If the pull feels too strong, 1st thing to do is bleed the hydraulic clutch system in case there's air in there.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:42 AM
SgtBFGunner
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer completed work on "9/8/14" clutch recall issue today on 2014 Ultra.

Due to experience with a weeping brake master cylinder on my '13 FLHRC, I'm kind of paranoid about all this DOT 4 (paint remover!) flying/dripping around.

So today after the repair, the clutch master cylinder looked a little wet around the gasket. On the ride home I notice "wet" on the left highway peg. I stop and wipe it off.

I get home and notice several oily spots on the tour pak back rest, outside right back rest speaker housing (opposite of clutch lever)...

Closer look of the clutch master cylinder cover area, it appears that the cover gasket is of new design? Usually all gasket material is tucked under the cover, small gap can be seen (the gasket). But the new gasket is now hanging out a slight amount, even around all edges, now different from the brake master cylinder cover gasket.

Dealer didn't have time to give the scoot a wash after, so I'm out washing this thing in the dark, just in case it was brake fluid on everything. May be fluid from a dirty mechanic or more HD weeping going on.

Don't know if mine is blown out a little or if this gasket sticking out is the new normal???

Thanks!

(Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics...)

Clutch gasket hangs out around entire edge. New style gasket or troubles?

Front brake gasket nicely tucked under cover as usual.

2014 FLHTCU "Rosemary"
2013 FLHRC "Jennie"
2012 FLHRC "BB" (Gone but not forgotten!)
2009 FLHRC "Leyla" (Gone but not forgotten!)
2001 FLSTFI "Charlotte" (Gone but not forgotten!)

Last edited by SgtBFGunner; 10-07-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:26 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I should have posted this sooner.
  1. Thursday, 09_11_14: Called my dealer & told them my bike had an open recall. They checked the system & confirmed, but advised they had no details yet & suggested I call back the following week. I asked if it was a Do Not Ride, as I had a 450 mile run planned for that weekend. Was advised it was not a Do Not Ride.
  2. Tuesday, 09_16_14: Stopped by dealer (unrelated reason) & checked with the Service Department on the recall. They told me the required parts had not been received, but should be in the following week & suggested I call back the following Tuesday.
  3. Tuesday, 09_23_14: Called dealership Service Department, was advised parts were in & also they were wide open for an appointment to repair. Made appointment for Thursday @ 9:00AM.
  4. Thursday, 09_25_14: Arrived at dealership about 9:05AM; had breakfast at the in-dealership diner, watched some morning news in the waiting room & was back on the bike at about 11:00AM. As it was absolutely gorgeous out & I had taken a "personal day" off work, I went for a ride of about 150 miles.

I can't really pickup any discernible difference between the way the clutch works now, to how it worked before the recall repair.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:33 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtBFGunner
Dealer completed work on "9/8/14" clutch recall issue today on 2014 Ultra. Due to experience with a weeping brake master cylinder on my '13 FLHRC, I'm kind of paranoid about all this DOT 4 (paint remover!) flying/dripping around. So today after the repair, the clutch master cylinder looked a little wet around the gasket. On the ride home I notice "wet" on the left highway peg. I stop and wipe it off. I get home and notice several oily spots on the tour pak back rest, outside right back rest speaker housing (opposite of clutch lever)... Closer look of the clutch master cylinder cover area, it appears that the cover gasket is of new design? Usually all gasket material is tucked under the cover, small gap can be seen (the gasket). But the new gasket is now hanging out a slight amount, even around all edges, now different from the brake master cylinder cover gasket. Dealer didn't have time to give the scoot a wash after, so I'm out washing this thing in the dark, just in case it was brake fluid on everything. May be fluid from a dirty mechanic or more HD weeping going on. Don't know if mine is blown out a little or if this gasket sticking out is the new normal??? Thanks! (Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics...) Clutch gasket hangs out around entire edge. New style gasket or troubles? Front brake gasket nicely tucked under cover as usual. 2014 FLHTCU "Rosemary" 2013 FLHRC "Jennie" 2012 FLHRC "BB" (Gone but not forgotten!) 2009 FLHRC "Leyla" (Gone but not forgotten!) 2001 FLSTFI "Charlotte" (Gone but not forgotten!)

My post recall gasket does NOT look like that.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:01 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

That doesnt look right to me Gunner

Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Still have not received the recall letter from HD. A bit disconcerting as others have received them over 2.5 weeks ago. Its not like they sold a million bikes. They could have had the dealers call their customers worst case. Due to this forum I have known about it since day one and am scheduled for the recall tomorrow. However, what about the average owner that does not come on the forum. We were led to believe it was not a serious issue, but after talking to a friend at a dealership, his words were, this should be a do not ride recall.
While I am glad they are taking care of it, they really do not deserve much credit as the seriousness of the issue and the slowness in contacting owners for what , in an instant, without warning, can turn into a deadly situation is abhorrent

Old 10-07-2014, 04:17 PM
SgtBFGunner
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the dealer first thing this morning and took it back in. Gasket replaced and controls "extra cleaned up" for fluids. I think I'm good for now.

Bonus, they flashed my ECM to get the running lights to stay on with the high beam, no charge. I've read that some dealers charge as much as $100 for that. Crazy.

Thanks for the back up opinions though, making sure I wasn't crazy (or "crazier").

2014 FLHTCU "Rosemary"
2013 FLHRC "Jennie"
2012 FLHRC "BB" (Gone but not forgotten!)
2009 FLHRC "Leyla" (Gone but not forgotten!)
2001 FLSTFI "Charlotte" (Gone but not forgotten!)

Last edited by SgtBFGunner; 10-07-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: ****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****