Sponsored by:

Suspension upgrade Recommendations needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 03:46 PM
hanny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by surfnorthwest
Well my FLHTK is finished with all the add-ons; chrome, stereo and all the performance upgrades are done.

Now time to look at the suspension and need some recommendations. Here is what I want to achieve.

Front - I go about 270 and my wife is 140. Would like to stiffen up the front suspension some so the bike is more stable in tight turns and stopping with the weight. Need to figure the best way to go here.

Rear - I can't really think of anything nice to say about the stock rear suspension so I won't. Looking for shocks that will not bottom out with the weight and give a very tour friendly ride when going 2-up.

What I do not want to achieve is any lowering of the bike and don't want to throw $1K at something that will be barley noticeable.
air ride in the back is the way to go in my opinion. You can make up your own kit or go thru dirty air (they are priced right) it looks cool lowering your ride at will and the air lets you put the ride height at you desired heatght

Old 09-28-2014, 05:55 PM
fastglass
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Howard at motorcyclemetal and he will get you what you need.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 AM
pepe3rd1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bohacker
Yep, Howard is the real deal. My #6s arrive tomorrow

Looking forward to getting them installed although I'm afraid they will just highlight how bad the front is. I'll probably pull the forks over the winter and send them to Howard to install the Ohlin 30mm setup.
Just sent payment for my 6's for the rear, when I get those I'll send him the front forks to upgrade as well.

Been contemplating this for quite awhile between the 3's and the 6's and finally settled on 6's.

My question is: Does anyone that have the 6's installed have the filler panels between the saddle bags and fender? And if you do, did you have any issues with installing the reservoir? As it seems the ressi mounts right where you attach the filler panels.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:39 PM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought a '14 Ultra Ltd a little over a year ago, and now have 21k on the clock. After about 2k, I knew I had to do something with the front suspension. The stock suspension was too soft and didn't compress and rebound in a confidence-inducing way on rough pavement or tight turns. I've put Progressive Monotubes in my Road King front end, and Progressive shocks in the rear. Made a huge difference, and spoiled me.

I went to Daytona Biketoberfest last year and spoke to the factory guys from Ohlins and Progressive. Neither had a monotubes yet developed for the changes in the forks on '14 HD touring bikes, however, I believe both do now.

With them not an option at the time, I went to Traxxion Dynamics in Georgia. They build racing bike suspensions, and also developed front end solutions for GoldWings and pre-'14 HD touring bikes. They took me as their first '14 HD touring bike, and modified their AK-20 monotube system for HD's. I also wanted piggy-back reservoir rear-shocks for increased stability and adjustability. However, none were available then that would clear the rear saddlebags. So, I went with Bitubo WME003's.

You probably have more choices now, but it's no looking back for me. Night and day difference in handling under all conditions. Good luck !!

Last edited by GaJayhawk; 09-29-2014 at 03:47 PM.