Sponsored by:

Excessive Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 05:01 PM
BigBen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Excessive Vibration

I just traded my 2013 FLTRU for a 2016 FLTRU. The vibrations were excessive. Leaving from the dealership, I thought I was on my old 2002 ridged mount Sportster. The faster I went, the worse the vibrations got. I took it back to two different dealers and they both said they couldn't find anything wrong and the vibration was normal. At the second dealer I had them balance the front tire, and that helped some.

After researching the issue on the web, I found that this seemed to be a problem on the 103 HO engines. No one complaining about vibration had anything but the HO engine. These have different CAMs due to the water cooled heads. There were some who had found torque values off on the motor mounts. I took the bike to a third dealer and had them check the torque on the lower and upper motor mounts, and all exhaust and shock absorber connections to the frame. They found them all to need tightening.

After this the vibration was considerably reduced, but still not as smooth as my 2013 was.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Except for stopped at idle, no vibrations at all. Silky smooth at any speed would be a correct statement for my 14 RK.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:00 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,792 Likes on 1,577 Posts

I actually dumped my 2014 Limited because unlike every Twincam I've owned, it vibrated so much it felt like I was holding on to and riding a weed wacker every time I rode it.
Tried like hell to have it fixed, went though a bunch of effort on my own, and finally just gave up an traded it. Just a crappy deal.

Last edited by lp; 05-05-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:34 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

This matter of motor mount torque actually helped me decide not to return to the dealer shop for anything.

I picked up my 2016 FLHTCU in January of last year. At 1000 miles I took the bike in to let them do the 1000 mile service, and then for me to check out the bike to see how they did.

One thing they're SUPPOSED to do is to check the torque on the front motor mount bracket. When I checked mine, the two bolts and nuts on the bracket were way loose. Not just a little under torque. LOOSE. As well, the three fasteners on the right side mount.

I knew then that I would not be going back to that dealer shop for anything that involved one of their mechanics putting wrench on my bike. Apparently all they did was pressure wash the bike, and even that was a complete botch job. They put more dirt on, and got the dirt deep into the inner crevices. All that for only $400.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:41 PM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

When you said front motor mount, are you talking about the top stabililizer link that goes from the top of the front head to the frame with a stabilizer link or the lower motor mount ?
Jonnierock

Old 05-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Kacowboy
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just out of curiosity what are the torque specs for the motor mounts.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:37 PM
BigBen
Cruiser
Default motor mount

I was talking about both motor mounts. The one (actually 2, one on each side) at the front bottom and the one at top.

In my research, I have not heard of this problem with the non water (head) cooled bikes. The vibration problem seems to be exclusive to the 103 HO engines. These engines have a different cam. The CAM must be causing the problem.

Having the dealer specifically check all the torques on any thing that touches the engine or frame greatly reduced the problem. The vibration is still there, but tolerable. If it gets worse, or I can't stand it I will have the non water cooled CAM installed.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:39 PM
BigBen
Cruiser

I think the torque spec is 82 foot pounds for the bolts holding the motor mount to the frame, and something lower (67 ft-lbs ???) for the rubber mount. I looked this up on line.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:57 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

most dealership service departments do not bother to torque anything.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:42 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBen
I think the torque spec is 82 foot pounds for the bolts holding the motor mount to the frame, and something lower (67 ft-lbs ???) for the rubber mount. I looked this up on line.
Your torque findings are too High

Attached Thumbnails Excessive Vibration-img_0745.png  
The following users liked this post:
Kacowboy (05-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Excessive Vibration